Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicmyles
    • By nicmyles 13th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 109Posts
    • 136Thanks
    nicmyles
    Tax liability for speaking at a conference?
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    Tax liability for speaking at a conference? 13th Mar 18 at 3:49 PM
    Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I have an odd situation:

I have been invited to speak at a conference overseas. This would be in a work capacity, representing my employer, not in a personal capacity.

The conference organiser will be paying for my flights, accommodation and entry to the remainder of the conference.

My boss is worried this will create some sort of personal tax liability for me - I cannot figure out how and not even sure how I would frame the question to a tax adviser. How can anything create a personal liability for me when I am working on behalf of the company, and neither I nor the company am receiving or reclaiming any money? It doesn't appear to me to be an expenses or benefits issue?

Any ideas? Much appreciated in advance.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 25,584 Posts
    • 15,110 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    I have been invited to speak at a conference overseas. This would be in a work capacity, representing my employer, not in a personal capacity.

The conference organiser will be paying for my flights, accommodation and entry to the remainder of the conference.
    If your employers were paying

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-travel/whats-exempt

but they are not.

I don't see what liability you would incur. You will be receiving your normal salary (and paying tax as usual) while abroad as you are away on business.

NI will be paid as normal.

If anything, it is your employers who are receiving the benefit since you are representing them at the conference and they are not having to pay?
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 13th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    polymaff
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    If your employers were paying

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-travel/whats-exempt

but they are not.

I don't see what liability you would incur. You will be receiving your normal salary (and paying tax as usual) while abroad as you are away on business.

NI will be paid as normal.

If anything, it is your employers who are receiving the benefit since you are representing them at the conference and they are not having to pay?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Unless this is a very generous third party, I'd expect some expenses would arise that should fall on your employer. His duty will be to accept and check the relevant expense receipts, and if valid and within what HMRC define as "exempt" then, as Xylophone implies - you are out of the liability/reporting loop.
    Last edited by polymaff; 13-03-2018 at 7:06 PM.
    • nicmyles
    • By nicmyles 14th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    nicmyles
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:05 AM
    Thanks both. That's helpful and confirms my view.

It's a good point re: other associated expenses, but these will be small amounts and covered under our existing expense policy for things like subsistence, so again I can't see how these could create a tax liability for me personally. I'll just forget about it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,636Posts Today

6,827Users online

Martin's Twitter