Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • NikNak72
    • By NikNak72 13th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Directors Loan Gift (IHT)
    • #1
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    Directors Loan Gift (IHT) 13th Mar 18 at 4:51 PM
    Hi, can anyone tell me if a solicitor is needed to make a legal document to gift money from a Directors Loan Account (in credit) of £300k to two grandchildren (both over 18).
    I know that gifts should be recorded, when and how much was gifted.
    Read elsewhere that it is better to have an official document to record this, as HMRC may query it in the future.
    I under stand the 7 year rule and PET's

Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 25,565 Posts
    • 15,099 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    You made a loan to the company?

    You are gifting the benefit of the loan to your grandchildren?

    Above seems relevant.
    • NikNak72
    • By NikNak72 14th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • #3
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

    Yes it's BTL / Property development.

    Yes I would like to remove the money from my estate, for IHT planning.

    I will speak to the solicitor about this, wasn't sure what the document was called that's required. The other option is setting up an Family Investment Company to hold assets.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

3,322Users online

Martin's Twitter