Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area
    • 6th Oct 06, 7:00 PM
    Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area 6th Oct 06 at 7:00 PM
    This thread is here to discuss the content of the article on Council Tax Cashback: reduce your band and save £1000s.

However if you have already followed the system, please use report them in the Council tax rebanding successes discussion.

Note from Martin: Thank you to all the contributers to the initial thread, which provided the genisis for the article. Much appreciated.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 4:39 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 255
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 28th Feb 18, 7:24 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I used the calculator on the MSE website!!!!!
    Originally posted by lynnechapman
    My original comment still stands.
    • happymoocow
    • By happymoocow 1st Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    happymoocow
    Reason for reband at 1st contact
    I'm completing an email to send to VOA in respect of challenging my G tax band. Do I state my reasons at this point or is it just "I believe it's wrong please investigate and correct". Not sure if I should be putting supporting information. My house is in a mixed road with no similar properties, but property probably within the top quartile from a current value perspective. That said, historic price records and sold prices of "similar" properties indicate it was never near the G band back in 1991. This is really the only factor I have as I can't compare with a direct like for like. I would love to know your thoughts. Complete respect for Moneysaving expert contributors as they helped me with a £5000 refund from British Airways when bumped off a flight. Hoping for a good outcome here too
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 1st Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I'm completing an email to send to VOA in respect of challenging my G tax band. Do I state my reasons at this point or is it just "I believe it's wrong please investigate and correct". Not sure if I should be putting supporting information. My house is in a mixed road with no similar properties, but property probably within the top quartile from a current value perspective. That said, historic price records and sold prices of "similar" properties indicate it was never near the G band back in 1991. This is really the only factor I have as I can't compare with a direct like for like.
    Originally posted by happymoocow
    Providing supporting information at first contact is best.
    • csheehan
    • By csheehan 2nd Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    csheehan
    Claiming refund
    Hi, I just received a letter from the VOA saying Iíve been in band D since 1993 and they have moved me to band E. How do I go about claiming for a refund? Any advice will be gratefully received.
    Many thanks
    • darren72
    • By darren72 2nd Mar 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    darren72
    Hi, I just received a letter from the VOA saying Iíve been in band D since 1993 and they have moved me to band E. How do I go about claiming for a refund? Any advice will be gratefully received.
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by csheehan
    There would be no refund due. If you have had your band increased, then there is no money due (as your council tax will have now increased in price).
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 2nd Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by csheehan
    Have you gone from Band E to D rather than D to E?

If so the council will automatically refund you any overpayment of CT.
    • ddks
    • By ddks 4th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    Lincroft, an acknowledgment letter received dated 7th Feb - standard 2 months for a review.

The 28 days for a Invalidity Notice. Can you remember if it's 28 working days or just 28 days?

If Invalidity Notice not received within 28 days....am I right in thinking it CAN'T be raised at a later date?

Thanks
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 4th Mar 18, 8:10 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Lincroft, an acknowledgment letter received dated 7th Feb - standard 2 months for a review.

The 28 days for a Invalidity Notice. Can you remember if it's 28 working days or just 28 days?

If Invalidity Notice not received within 28 days....am I right in thinking it CAN'T be raised at a later date?

Thanks
    Originally posted by ddks
    28 days would be 28 actual days. I can't help with the other questions as the system changed after I left the VOA.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 5th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Can I claim a refund on a property that I moved out of almost 20 years ago!

I paid £30,000 For the property in 1987 which puts it at £36,500 in 1991

It should be a band A but is still a band B

As are all the others in the road
    all 1890's two up fwo downs
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 05-03-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Can I claim a refund on a property that I moved out of almost 20 years ago!

I paid £30,000 For the property in 1987 which puts it at £36,500 in 1991

It should be a band A but is still a band B

As are all the others in the road
    all 1890's two up fwo downs
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    No. Only the current taxpayer can ask for a band review or appeal the band (if within the 6 months time limit). If the band was reduced then you would be refunded any CT overpayment.
    • shellevans72
    • By shellevans72 7th Mar 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    shellevans72
    Converted the loft ..can we still apply??
    Hi,
    We bought our home in 1998 for £50,000 ....... since then we have converted the loft so it is now classed as a 4 bedroom....... can we still apply for re-banding??
    Thanks in advance
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi,
    We bought our home in 1998 for £50,000 ....... since then we have converted the loft so it is now classed as a 4 bedroom....... can we still apply for re-banding??
    Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by shellevans72
    Yes. I am not sure, but I believe improvements carried out by current owner after 1 Apr 1993 would be disregarded when reviewing a CT band. Would suggest you check with your local VOA.
    • aimess75
    • By aimess75 15th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aimess75
    Entire street in different band
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if i can get some advice. Ive read the article on MSE but still a bit unclear about how to go about this. I have checked and of 76 houses on our street only ours and 1 other are in band D, all others in C. We have more rooms than most as we gave extended into the attic but I was under the impression this was not a factor?
    Does this sound right? Im confused about what i can do aboit this. I cant work out what all our houses were worth in 1991.
    Any help would be really gratefully received. Am really feeling the pinch right now due to very high childcare costs so would love to get some money back.
    Aimee
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if i can get some advice. Ive read the article on MSE but still a bit unclear about how to go about this. I have checked and of 76 houses on our street only ours and 1 other are in band D, all others in C. We have more rooms than most as we gave extended into the attic but I was under the impression this was not a factor?
    Does this sound right? Im confused about what i can do aboit this. I cant work out what all our houses were worth in 1991.
    Any help would be really gratefully received. Am really feeling the pinch right now due to very high childcare costs so would love to get some money back.
    Aimee
    Originally posted by aimess75
    Loft extensions will affect a dwelling's value, so could potentially affect CT band. Although if this extension was carried out by you after 1 April 1993, it should not have been reflected in the CT band. Ignoring the loft extension, if all the houses in your street are exactly the same age, type and size, then you could ask the VOA to explain why yours is in a higher band.

Do be aware that there is a possibility that your band could be correct and the neighbours' bands incorrect, which could lead to their bands being increased. Also look at the bands of similar houses in the area.
    • ddks
    • By ddks 20th Mar 18, 10:10 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ddks
    One of neighbours sent a letter for an informal band review comparing their property with a property on the original part of the estate, which sold in 1991.Band E..the neighbours are a Band F.
    The letter has been registered on the system, 3 weeks ago.... No acknowledgement letter at all! Another neighbour same thing.... No acknowledgement!
    One of the neighbours has resorted to a formal appeal.
    This must be just an issue with our local office and we believe higher up the chain!
    What's made worse is one of the sales they used to determine a band F, which is on the original part of the estate has been reduced to a Band E. The property is not used for business, it's not been extended, it's not been adapted for disabled use, there have been no changes in the area!!
    Something seriously a miss in our area!!
    We can't help that this is another Lowestoft sham!
    • ewokuk
    • By ewokuk 21st Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    ewokuk
    Wrong band?
    I am in the process of buying a flat and think they may have it in the wrong band. I have done a postcode search and all 24 of the flats in my block are band E. However when I plug in the purchase price the value in 1991 would be £80k putting it in the middle of band D. So I am thinking all 24 of the flats are in a band that is too high?

They were only built around 2003 but going on the price I am about to pay, I should be band D not E.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Mar 18, 2:34 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I am in the process of buying a flat and think they may have it in the wrong band. I have done a postcode search and all 24 of the flats in my block are band E. However when I plug in the purchase price the value in 1991 would be £80k putting it in the middle of band D. So I am thinking all 24 of the flats are in a band that is too high?

They were only built around 2003 but going on the price I am about to pay, I should be band D not E.
    Originally posted by ewokuk
    If you are using a House Price Index, these are not accurate. As all the flats are Band E, there would be no harm in you submitting an appeal within 6 months of you actually becoming the owner of the flat.
    • michaeljb
    • By michaeljb 21st Mar 18, 4:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    michaeljb
    nightmare! help please
    Hi, I am a retired pensioner and new to this forum, after watching Martin's Money tips on tv and reading the article I emailed VOA to request a reassessment. They replied requesting more information to support my request.
    The problem I have is that I am a tenant in a 2 bed terraced bungalow within a courtyard complex. All the other houses in the complex are dormer bungalows or two storied properties, all are in band D. The bungalow has never been marketed, it was built by the owner for his mother and retained as an investment rental property.
    I cannot determine a 1991 value and there are no directly comparable properties within a 0.2 km radius, other bungalows are semi detached 2 or 3 bed and all in band B. VOA have rejected these for comparison purposes. Has any one had similar problems or know what I can do next? Thank you for any help you can give me
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    there are no directly comparable properties within a 0.2 km radius, other bungalows are semi detached 2 or 3 bed and all in band B. VOA have rejected these for comparison purposes. Has any one had similar problems or know what I can do next? Thank you for any help you can give me
    Originally posted by michaeljb
    0.2 km radius is a relatively small area, try to extend the search. Band B seems very low for a 3 bed semi det bungalow. The VOA's stance seems unfair, ask them which bungalows they believe support Band D.
    • opaque
    • By opaque 22nd Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    opaque
    Are the bands actually based on what the value was in 1991 or what changes there have been since then? We have an extension that was built in 1983 so the value would have been incorporated in the 1991 pricing, we know the rough value of the house via Nationwide so are covered there.

Next door didn't have the same extension. But they have built one on the front since and recently got downgraded from C to B. We asked to be dropped from C to B as well based on the prices and that all other houses around us are already B and next door (semi detached) dgot dropped down. We've now been told that because we bought the house 2 years ago we are on a higher band as the house is bigger than surrounding houses. The fact next door has an extension as well might only change the banding when they sell it on and the new owner might get pushed back to C.
    Is that right? Seems weird that things get reset on sales rather than when changes are actually made as doesn't that mean tha theoretically that means you could add new wings to a house, swimming pools, helipad instead of trampoline etc but as long as you don't sell it you would never rocket up to the top band.

If that is their reasoning it's their reasoning but just seems odd if you never move you're never going to be paying more council tax, something I can't imagine any council actually allowing.

We need to find a house that had an extension pre 1991 that has been sold since that is currently on B to be able to get ours reduced from C to B.

Worth a go anyway I suppose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,191Posts Today

4,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin