Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Legal Ombudsman
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question
    • 3rd Jun 15, 12:11 PM
    Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question 3rd Jun 15 at 12:11 PM
    Have you used a CMC to reclaim PPI or other financial products and received poor service? The Legal Ombudsman is here to answer your CMC queries and concerns. We resolve complaints about legal service providers and CMCs and our service is free.

It may be that your CMC has:
    • failed to do what they agreed
    • hasnít handled your mis-sold PPI claim the way you expected them to
    • has been slow in responding
    • increased their charges without explaining why
    • unreasonably refused you a service
    • pressured you to accept a service you did not want
    We will investigate your complaint and if we decide the service you received was unreasonable, we can make sure your CMC puts it right.

How to get in touch with your questions and concerns

We're happy to answer your questions in this thread, so just reply below and we'll get back to you.

Alternatively there are lots of other ways you can get in touch.

1. Use our live chat function Mon-Fri between 08:30am and 5:30pm: https://legalombudsman.live-chat-help.com/
    2. Call us Mon-Fri between 08:30am-5:30pm on 0300 555 0333 or on our minicom 0300 555 1777
    3. Email us on cmc@legalombudsman.org.uk
    4. Or write to us at Legal ombudsman, PO Box 6804, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WG

You can also follow us on facebook or twitter @Legal_Ombudsman
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 21-07-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
Page 10
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 92,976 Posts
    • 60,354 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi all

I used the Stake Your Claim to get PPI back from Lloyds. This has been going on for years in March 2014 they sent me a letter saying that they had a rejection letter from Lloyds re PPI. I decided to let them take it to the FOS as I was not happy with that at all.

In April 2016 they sent me a letter to say the FOS notified them that it was likely to be unsuccessful but they may introduce a new rule.

November 2017 I received a letter from Lloyds saying they were paying me the commission they received from my PPI.

Now Stake Your Claim want to have a share of this money. Are they entitled to it? After all I still have not received PPI monies and this has been going on since 2012/2013!
    Originally posted by SoontobeLonge
    Broadly speaking, where the complaint and redress is a continuous process and the CMC has not ended its service or you have not ended it, then you are liable to pay their cut.

If, at the end of the FOS process the complaint had been rejected and it ended there, then the CMC service would end there. However, if the complaint goes straight to consideration for a Plevin payout (or is put in a queue for consideration) then the CMC service has not ended.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 92,976 Posts
    • 60,354 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi. I was notified in November that i would be receiving a Plevin payment from Capital One. The problem I have is that they sent the cheque to the CMC who are Family Money Savers Limited. They now want a fee for completing an assessment that I never authorized in any way. The original PPI claim was made and rejected around 6 years ago. Any info would be greatly appreciated before I phone them.
    Originally posted by Carliannie
    They have no entitlement to the fee as their service was deemed over 6 years ago. The only caveat would be if 6 years ago they told you they were trying another option and the service was continuing. In reality, that would not have been the case as it is long before the Plevin ruling.

You should make a complaint to them about holding onto your funds with no agreement in place. If the complaint fails, then refer it to the legal ombudsman.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Carliannie
    • By Carliannie 23rd Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carliannie
    They have no entitlement to the fee as their service was deemed over 6 years ago. The only caveat would be if 6 years ago they told you they were trying another option and the service was continuing. In reality, that would not have been the case as it is long before the Plevin ruling.

You should make a complaint to them about holding onto your funds with no agreement in place. If the complaint fails, then refer it to the legal ombudsman.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Thanks for the reply. I actually received the cheque today from them along with their request for their service charge. Do you recommend that i contact them and tell them that I won't be complying with their request for payment and take it from there? Thanks again.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 92,976 Posts
    • 60,354 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Thanks for the reply. I actually received the cheque today from them along with their request for their service charge. Do you recommend that i contact them and tell them that I won't be complying with their request for payment and take it from there? Thanks again.
    Originally posted by Carliannie
    Instruct them that you will not be paying as their service ended when the complaint was rejected. The plevin payout is a new thing that is unrelated to their original complaint submitted and you havent entered into a new agreement with them.

Also state that any attempt to pursue the fee will result in you making a formal complaint and going to the ombudsman if necessary.
    • Carliannie
    • By Carliannie 23rd Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carliannie
    Instruct them that you will not be paying as their service ended when the complaint was rejected. The plevin payout is a new thing that is unrelated to their original complaint submitted and you havent entered into a new agreement with them.

Also state that any attempt to pursue the fee will result in you making a formal complaint and going to the ombudsman if necessary.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Thank you so much for help and advice. It's gratefully appreciated.
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Legal Ombudsman - contact us
    Hi Carliannie,

We would be happy to talk to you about your situation. Please feel free to contact us on 0300 555 0333, and select option 1.
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
    • Carliannie
    • By Carliannie 24th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carliannie
    Hi Carliannie,

We would be happy to talk to you about your situation. Please feel free to contact us on 0300 555 0333, and select option 1.
    Originally posted by Legal Ombudsman
    Thanks for the reply. I will try to phone tonight after work. I have yet to contact the CMC.
    • howade crypem
    • By howade crypem 25th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    howade crypem
    pressured into claims
    I am also being pressured into claims against companies that I have told them I definitely didn't have PPI from.
    • andyandclaire
    • By andyandclaire 28th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andyandclaire
    Hi wonder if somebody can help if a claims management company 'The claims People, who has ceased trading/Authorisation Surrendered back in march 2017 and you are still paying them back their fees in monthly installments . Can they sale the debt to debt managment company in sept 2017
  • Legal Ombudsman
    I am also being pressured into claims against companies that I have told them I definitely didn't have PPI from.
    Originally posted by howade crypem
    We'd be happy to discuss this with you to see if we can help in any way - call us on 0300 555 0333
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Hi wonder if somebody can help if a claims management company 'The claims People, who has ceased trading/Authorisation Surrendered back in march 2017 and you are still paying them back their fees in monthly installments . Can they sale the debt to debt managment company in sept 2017
    Originally posted by andyandclaire
    Hi andyandclaire,

We'd need a little more information about this to be able to help you. Please give us a call and we can discuss it in more detail - 0300 555 0333.
    • CaroRuss40
    • By CaroRuss40 29th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CaroRuss40
    Harringtons Advisory Fees
    I have unfortunately been dealing with Harringtons for the past year, within the past 4 months or so I have been receiving letters from other companies claiming that they are taking on work for Harrington's, however still having received no confirmation from Harrington's themselves about this matter; I have therefore dismissed any letters, not signed anything and simply left it.

I now understand that Harringtons are no longer authorised to provide regulated services.

I have just received an offer from Santander for PPI claim, and I was wondering am I still liable to pay Harrington's any fees, given I have not signed any new authority to these companies (whose names escape me) to take on this for me?
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 29th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    I've just heard from Timothy at the Legal Ombudsman that Harringtons are transferring all their live cases to Allansons Solicitors.

Unfortunately the Legal Ombudsman doesn't understand that this is unlawful as the transferring of claims is in itself a regulated activity and Harringtons lost their MOJ authorization on 22 December.
  • Legal Ombudsman
    I have unfortunately been dealing with Harringtons for the past year, within the past 4 months or so I have been receiving letters from other companies claiming that they are taking on work for Harrington's, however still having received no confirmation from Harrington's themselves about this matter; I have therefore dismissed any letters, not signed anything and simply left it.

I now understand that Harringtons are no longer authorised to provide regulated services.

I have just received an offer from Santander for PPI claim, and I was wondering am I still liable to pay Harrington's any fees, given I have not signed any new authority to these companies (whose names escape me) to take on this for me?
    Originally posted by CaroRuss40
    Hi CaroRuss40,

It would very much depend on the contracts signed and the dates. If you'd like to give us a call we can get a bit more information from you and discuss it in more detail - 0300 555 0333.
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 29th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star

Originally posted by CaroRuss40

Firstly you need to check that your contract allows them to reassign your agreement to another company. It probably does but check.

Secondly Harringtons are (or were) under a regulatory obligation to notify you of any intended transfer - see PDF here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cmr-special-bulletin-transferring-or-ending-client-relationships
    • tholland
    • By tholland 6th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tholland
    Broker who sold PPI ceased trading
    Hi there.
    I took out a loan in 2008 and was mis-sold PPI for this loan. I thought the loan/PPI policy was with Welcome Finance (all of my paperwork refers to Welcome Finance), but I started a claim with them and they responded that the PPI associated with my account had been sold to me by a broker, Blue Sky Loans, who has now ceased trading. They suggested that the FSCS might be able to consider my complaint if I wished to take it to them, but when I just tried to start a claim with the FSCS the website said that they were not currently accepting applications for this firm (Blue Sky Loans). Is there anything that I can do to claim back this PPI that I was mis-sold?
    Many thanks in advance for your help
  • Legal Ombudsman
    Hi there.
    I took out a loan in 2008 and was mis-sold PPI for this loan. I thought the loan/PPI policy was with Welcome Finance (all of my paperwork refers to Welcome Finance), but I started a claim with them and they responded that the PPI associated with my account had been sold to me by a broker, Blue Sky Loans, who has now ceased trading. They suggested that the FSCS might be able to consider my complaint if I wished to take it to them, but when I just tried to start a claim with the FSCS the website said that they were not currently accepting applications for this firm (Blue Sky Loans). Is there anything that I can do to claim back this PPI that I was mis-sold?
    Many thanks in advance for your help
    Originally posted by tholland
    Hi Tholland,

Unfortunately we can only look at complaints about the service received from a claims management company (CMC). I think this is something you would need to explore further with the FSCS. You may be able to get some advice from the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Sorry we canít be of more help.
    • peterbiggs
    • By peterbiggs 14th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    peterbiggs
    Hi
    Just had a successful PPI claim for a Barclays Credit Card that I had from 1994 - 2107
    Unfortunately the offer they came back with was £75!
    The explanation letter that accompanied the check stated that they only keep records for 6 years.
    I know I used this card much more in the earlier years and hardly used it in the latter years, if at all.
    Is there any way I can refuse this offer of compensation or are there any other options?
    Regards
    Pete.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 92,976 Posts
    • 60,354 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi
    Just had a successful PPI claim for a Barclays Credit Card that I had from 1994 - 2107
    Unfortunately the offer they came back with was £75!
    The explanation letter that accompanied the check stated that they only keep records for 6 years.
    I know I used this card much more in the earlier years and hardly used it in the latter years, if at all.
    Is there any way I can refuse this offer of compensation or are there any other options?
    Regards
    Pete.
    Originally posted by peterbiggs
    This thread isnt really on your subject.

However, if the bank has no evidence of payments of PPI then they are required to use any copy statements you have. Do you have any?

If neither you or the bank has any records, then its typically game over.

You can refuse the redress but that would be futile.
    • Bella2018
    • By Bella2018 14th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bella2018
    Sorry to jump onto this thread but unsure where to put my query. Can I claim for PPI on barred statue debt? I donít mind the money going to pay off the debt cos thatís the right thing to do but I am worried I will reset the 6 years. I donít think the PPI will cover all the debt so i donít want to acknowledge the debt only to reset the clock. Thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,770Posts Today

8,117Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin