Low interest rates forever...

Hi Guys
If I could guarantee you interest rates below 2% for the next 40 years, is there any financial transaction that you could make, that would benefit you financially?
Dennis

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 20 May 2018 at 3:56PM
    dennisk007 wrote: »
    If I could guarantee you interest rates below 2% for the next 40 years, is there any financial transaction that you could make, that would benefit you financially?

Yes, I could take the money that you have guaranteed to me that I'll be able to get for 2% or less, and lend the money on to someone at greater than 2%.

Or I could invest in income producing assets which grow in value over time with the economy, such as shares of businesses, or perhaps residential or commercial property. As such ventures carry some investment risk, the reward for taking such risk is usually greater than a couple of percent a year over the long term (which you are willing to guarantee to me) and so over 40 years I would be likely to make money, even though a low interest environment might be likely to have low or negative growth characteristics.

Maybe I misunderstand the point of your question: "is there any financial transaction that you could make, that would benefit you financially?". There are all sorts of financial transactions that I can and do make, that benefit me financially. If you are willing to guarantee me low interest rates for multiple decades, then OK, thanks, but that doesn't change most of the financial transactions I currently make which already benefit me financially. Do you mean what new financial transactions might I undertake?

Are you guaranteeing that you will lend me money for 40 years at 2% or less? Or are you guaranteeing that bank savings and lending rates for the next 40 years will be 2% or less? In the latter case I might place a substantial bet on interest rates with a bookmaker, who generally wouldn't expect that situation to occur, so I would get big odds. If it failed I could pursue you for your guarantee. However there is some significant risk that you wouldn't be able to pay me out for your promised 'guarantee' when you were proven wrong, so hopefully you are willing to escrow a large sum of money with my solicitor so that it's not to tricky to get you to compensate me for my consequential losses in the event that you are dead or bankrupt in 4 decades time.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    What inflation rate are you going to guarantee?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • We will say that inflation would run at an average of 3% for 40 years.
    I would guarantee that interest rates would vary between 0% and 2% for 40 years.
    Just to put this question in context, if i knew that interest rates where to jump in the next year to 10% for the next 40 years, I would take out a large loan at fixed low interest rate now, ready for the interest rise :)
    But what would be a good investment if you knew that interest rates would move between 0 and 2% for 40 years?
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Get a fat loan and buy investment trusts with it..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure