Getting back on the MFW Wagon

Comments

• Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 August 2017 at 2:24PM
    Hi

Been away for a few days as work and home have been busy.

I have been ticking along with some NSD's. I did do a grocery shop on Friday evening, which came in at £55ish all in. The only other spend was £25 petrol, which will see me through to month end.

I also managed to squeeze in some OT last week. 3 hours on Tuesday evening and 5 hours on Saturday.

I have some holiday booked this week. OH has saved some money for activities this week; as the OP's have come from my salary. We saw a film at the cinema yesterday and we're off to the local zoo today. I have booked the zoo tickets online as they were 20% cheaper than the price on the door and we will take a picnic.

The only foreseeable spends will be parking, a round of ice creams and maybe a treat for LO.

Some small DIY jobs were completed yesterday evening and I managed to declutter 31 items from the house; some had been saved from previous culls 'just in case' and some are new additions to the home (mainly party bag stuff that is not built to last).

A load of washing is ready for the line, so I will get that on the line before we head out.

Have a great day x
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Needhelpsaving
    edited 16 August 2017 at 4:01PM
    :hello:Hi

After a couple of days out, last night OH and I decided that those two trips out would be the only ones we paid for; the rest of the week needs to be freebies to keep us on track.

So today has been an NSD on the day trips front, OH took LO to the local park while I did the weekly shop - this in itself stopped things being added to the trolley.

I have meal planned to take us through to payday (next Friday) and spent a total of £60.76 including some toiletries and cleaning supplies. Now that's done, the purse is off limits until payday shuffles are required.

In that vain, I have listed two items on eBay and have a third set of items that have been freshened up in the wash. These will be listed once dry and ironed.

Two more bags of kiddies clothes have been located and they too will go though the wash over the next couple of days prior to listing and I will be asking OH to help me move a large piece of furniture that we no longer need so that I can photograph it properly before listing. The piece of furniture will be listed by tomorrow evening at the lastest as it needs a clean too.

Free fun for tomorrow will most likely be a trip to the library and then I am back at work on Friday, as I am trying to eeek out my holidays for this year so that I can be around for when LO starts school. There are lots of half days and no school days within her 2 week induction, including a home visit.

Swagbucked this morning and will check in on this again later. Onepoll had no new surveys and my cash back is still pending on quidco, so no money available to throw into savings today. The money made from my last two eBay sales was moved into savings this morning.

Going to catch up on some diaries for inspiration with my brew :)
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Needhelpsaving
    edited 17 August 2017 at 9:07AM
    Good morning.

Yesterday evening was a relaxed (lazy) one, I read lots of MFW diaries for inspiration. It's great to have this community of people who share their stories, successes and trials.

I also had a flick through my diary to see if I could spot some areas that I have gone wrong, I noted that the start of my diary was much more disciplined with the daily spends. This is where I will need to refocus next month.

Decluttered items reached 109 items. This was made up of some old clothes that went to recycling, a clear out of the pantry (some out of date condiments) and some items that went to the charity shop.

Today will be an NSD with a trip to the library and baking cakes with LO this afternoon. Then ironing and eBay listing beckons before I go back to work in the morning.

I will squeeze some OT in tomorrow to put us on good stead for September. :D

I hope everyone has a good day.
  • NSD achieved today. LO did not wish to go to the library, so we baked cakes and spent the afternoon in the garden as the weather was glorious.

All eBay clothing lots have been washed and 3 bundles have been ironed, photographed and listed. I have received an offer on LO old trike, just awaiting payment. I will be giving LO the money for this as it was a birthday present (I will send the money to her savings account).

Total of items listed on eBay - 4/8

I have earmarked tomorrow and Sunday as NSDs. I need to grab 1 onion for the fajitas on the meal planner for Saturday (I managed to miss this from the shopping list). So Saturday will see a spend of around 20p! :rotfl:
  • NSD achieved today.

LO old trike was collected and paid for - I gave LO the money. I was concerned when she gave me the £10 note and kept the coins, because they were 'more monies' - clearly I need to start with the MSE training! :rotfl:

Fajitas were moved forward to today's dinner after I found a rouge onion in with the potatoes. Bonus is that I won't need to go near a shop this weekend, so I can clock up two more NSDs. :T

I will get the final 3 lots listed on eBay over the weekend and then I will get started on redecorating in the box room, using up some paint we already have.

I might swing by the library tomorrow to get some new books in for the week ahead. It will give me something else to focus on and keep the NSDs coming.
  • Hi!

Another NSD achieved today. The only trips out were to the library to get myself some new books while OH took LO to visit grandparents - Saturday is their day togther as I usually pick up OT or get jobs done in the house. It's lovely to see them enjoying their day together as they both treasure it. Then I also popped into work as I had a piece of work playing on my mind. No OT, this was just to reclaim my sanity.

Other than that, it has been a day of little jobs - bed sheets changed and flapping on the line, 1 basket of ironing done and put away and bedrooms dusted.

Another NSD planned for tomorrow to keep us moving in the right direction.
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    That's a lot of NSDs in a row, well done you.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Wow nhs you are doing so well with the nsds! Fi you the be it's saving you anything? Does it stop you from spending?
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Needhelpsaving
    edited 19 August 2017 at 7:44PM
    earthgirl wrote: »
    Wow nhs you are doing so well with the nsds! Fi you the be it's saving you anything? Does it stop you from spending?

Thanks, I am really trying to get back to a more disciplined management of money. It certainly does stop me from spending, which is good because I am the type of person who thinks 'I'll just grab X' then I add a stop at a coffee shop etc. It soon adds up. My weakness is the small spends.

I think this is the lovely thing about MSE is that you learn about what does and doesn't work for you when it comes to money.

Just had another item sell on eBay for £5. Collection item due to it being difficult to package properly.
  • Afternoon all.

Good day so far, I did get a bit stressed out this morning, but thankfully OH stepped in to help. He is a goodun.

eBay sale fell through after the buyer realised that they purchased a collection only item in Birmingham, when they live in London :( buyer refunded and I have resisted the item.

I have listed multiple items on eBay today, some on buy it now and some on auction. I have only 1 item to list, it's a piece of furniture. We have moved it downstairs to be wiped down and photographed. I will try to do that this evening.

3 loads of washing done and on the line to make the most of the weather, but we didn't manage an NSD. We went to the park and treated ourselves to an ice cream -£5 spent (but enjoyed ;))

Carpet in the box room was lifted and sent to the tip, along with some uncollected bin bags (this isn't me getting political about the bin strike in brum by the way).

Painting in the box room will take place over this coming week (in the evenings).

Payday on Friday :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure