Having a meter installed within my boundary

vertex
vertex Posts: 181 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all,

The water company had to fix a leak on the pipe just outside my boundary. They said they would fit a water meter on there while they were fixing the leak. They phoned me to say this had all been done.

Fast forward a few weeks and we get a big water bill. The water company admitted that - although the leak had been fixed - a meter had not been installed. So they sent their contractor out who said they should have installed the meter BEFORE they fixed the leak and put a PRV in. He said they would either have to dig everything out and start again OR he could fit a water meter on my side of the boundary.

Would this meter be underground level? (ie I dont want to have an ugly meter above ground in my garden).

Are there any disadvantages of having a meter on my side of the boundary. For example, if something goes wrong with it am I liable to get it fixed because its within my boundary?

Thanks

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As far as I'm aware the meter is the demarcation point between your pipe and the water co, so you shouldn't be liable for any problems with it.

We've got one on our side of the boundary, actually inside the fence in a flowerbed in a circular box about 8" (200mm) in diameter because that's where the stopcock was when we moved here.

It doesn't cause us any problems and we've never had troubles with the flowers getting trampled when they come to read it once o twice a year.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    We've just had a meter fitted and it's under the kitchen sink, it's pretty small and not an issue. he did say they could put it outside but I was happy for it there
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The closer the meter is to the things you draw water from - Taps, heating systems etc - The better off you are because the Water Cos responsibility for any pipe leakage ends at the delivery side of the meter
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We have had a water meter under our kitchen sink for the past 17 years. There is a remote reader access point on the outside wall of the house.

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/pipes-and-drains/responsibility-and-ownership/water-pipe-responsibility/
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    vertex wrote: »
    Hi all,

The water company had to fix a leak on the pipe just outside my boundary. They said they would fit a water meter on there while they were fixing the leak. They phoned me to say this had all been done.

Fast forward a few weeks and we get a big water bill. The water company admitted that - although the leak had been fixed - a meter had not been installed. So they sent their contractor out who said they should have installed the meter BEFORE they fixed the leak and put a PRV in. He said they would either have to dig everything out and start again OR he could fit a water meter on my side of the boundary.

Would this meter be underground level? (ie I dont want to have an ugly meter above ground in my garden).

Are there any disadvantages of having a meter on my side of the boundary. For example, if something goes wrong with it am I liable to get it fixed because its within my boundary?

Thanks

Our water meter is fitted under the sink ... where the incoming mains/stopcock is.

The water meter belongs to and is the responsibilty of the water supplier.
    (like a gas or electricty meter is the responsibility opf the respective supplier)

Why have you got a big water bill?
  • Shavuot
    Shavuot Posts: 125 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    We have had a water meter under our kitchen sink for the past 17 years. There is a remote reader access point on the outside wall of the house.

https://www.stwater.co.uk/my-supply/pipes-and-drains/responsibility-and-ownership/water-pipe-responsibility/

We used to have one of them, but it went wrong.

It was replaced with a newer version that can be read remotely by the supplier via a 'drive by'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure