Travel credit cards

Comments

• nick_pike
    nick_pike Posts: 51 Forumite
    I have been reading the MSE pages on this subject, and cannot find the following scenario.

I have an HSBC debit card. There are no fees on spending but charges for ATM withdrawals.
    MSE suggests the Halifax card is best, as there are no spending of ATM fees. But it states there is interest on ATM withdrawals. My question is, if I leave a satisfactory amount in a Halifax account, so use my Halifax account as a store of cash, and ATM withdraw from that account, but the account remains in the black, will there be any fees/ interest at all?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2017 at 5:14PM
    The Halifax Clarity credit is one of the best. As it is a credit card, you cannot use it as a store of cash (it's against the T & Cs).

As a new applicant, you will pay interest on any ATM cash withdrawals at a rate of about 1.5 to 2% a month. If you pay off the amount you have withdrawn from the ATMs as soon as you can, the interest is pennies.

To put in perspective, we use Clarities for travel spending/cash. Admittedly our interest rates are lower at 12% pa, but our last trip to Australia lasted a month and we paid 78p (from memory) in interest on cash withdrawn over that period.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    The Halifax Clarity credit is one of the best. As it is a credit card, you cannot use it as a store of cash (it's against the T & Cs).

You will pay interest on any ATM cash withdrawals at a rate of about 1% a month. If you pay off the amount you have withdrawn from the ATMs as soon as you can, the interest is pennies.

To put in perspective, we use Clarities for travel spending/cash. Our last trip to Australia lasted a month and we paid 78p (from memory) in interest on cash withdrawn over that period.

While your overall point remains valid, the lowest APR on offer is now much higher.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    While your overall point remains valid, the lowest APR on offer is now much higher.

Ta. I've edited my post to reflect the increased rates.
  • basiaking
    basiaking Posts: 55 Forumite
    I downloaded the Starling app on to my iPhone and registered for a Starling current account a few days ago and received an invitation code a day or two later. Once they text you the code, you can open the account within the app. They just ask you your name, address and then you make a short video of yourself just saying one sentence and then you take a photo of either your passport or driving license and that's basically it. They don't ask any questions about how you will fund your account or where you work - nothing. I was issued with an account number and sort code immediately and a few hours later received a message from them that my details had been verified and my card will be posted on Monday. All very straightforward so far. Looking forward to receiving my card, however, I have been playing with the account and transferred some money in and then out again all with great ease. A massive selling point is that all contactless payments will show up immediately. With my Lloyds account it takes a couple of days for contactless payments to show up but with this account, everything is in real time so as soon as you make the payment using contactless, you get a notification and the balance adjusts straight away. There is also a nice little feature where you can 'freeze' your debit card if you lose it making the card inactive but you can 'defrost' the card if you find it again! So far so good!
  • trevor2522
    trevor2522 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I don't want to go down the list in sequence, wrecking my credit rating. No CCJs, adverse information or bad credit -- just low income (£12,200). Is it any help to apply for a card associated with my main bank, e.g. Barclaycard for Barclays? Just want a credit card for Section 75 purchase protection and travel. Thanks.
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can't answer your question, but I do know that Barclaycard have a particularly good deal on a "travel" credit card at the moment. No fees for overseas spending or cash withdrawals as long as you pay off the balance in full when you get your statement, this is until 31 August 2022. Click here

If you think it looks good for what you need, Click here for an eligibility check that won't affect your credit rating.
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • Brilliant service from Starling Bank to set up account. Simply download the app, add your phone number and then received an SMS message to verify mobile number and advised the next code to open account would be sent within 2 weeks. Instead it turned up in two days.

Then takes five minutes to fill out some basic information - name, address. No questions re income, or need to move bank account, or pay in minimum amount per month etc. Add a photo of either passport or driving license and a quick video of yourself and all done.

Account confirmed immediately, and verified same day, with confirmation of overdraft facility.

Card arrived today, six days since first downloading the app. Super service all round.
  • emmbrook
    emmbrook Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I used the MSE code to open a Starling Account. Opened in five minutes, debit card with me two days later. Loaded some cash today by transfer and looking forward to zero cost Euro withdrawals. So far it has been exceptionally easy.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    emmbrook wrote: »
    I used the MSE code to open a Starling Account. Opened in five minutes, debit card with me two days later. Loaded some cash today by transfer and looking forward to zero cost Euro withdrawals. So far it has been exceptionally easy.

What code would that be?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure