Getting deposit back from supplier who let me down

Hi,

Back in September 2017 last year I paid a company a £30 deposit to hire a hot tub from 14th June - 18th June 2018 ( last Thursday to this Monday).

Their communication has been pretty shoddy to be fair, however, on Thursday when I contacted them to confirm it was still coming they told me that the hot tub was broken, and they were trying to source a part.

After a lot of badgering them, we finally got the answer that they wouldn't be able to fullfil my booking (in a fashion).

I requested the deposit back, which they keep saying they have sent via PayPal. I haven't received it, and do not have any pending transactions. They are also refusing to send me a screenshot of confirmation from their end.

All of this leads me to believe that they are lieing.

The money isn't really the issue, it's just the principal. Their communication has been shocking, they've let me down at the last minute and haven't even apologised. Plus if they are lieing about returning it, that makes it worse as they're the ones in the wrong.

For info, it was booked over Facebook. The messages have been over Facebook (mainly ignored), then onto SMS (mainly ignored) , then onto WhatsApp (I wanted read receipts to prove I was being ignored). I also had one phone conversation, where they said they'd phone me back in 10 minutes, but I'm still waiting for that call a few days later.

What are my options to get my deposit back?

I imagine I could take them to court? It seems like a lot for £30 though, but I suppose they'd have to pay the court fees if I win?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    how did you pay the deposit?
  • PayPal, but was over 6 months ago, so I don't think I can open a dispute with them :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Chrisidas wrote: »

I imagine I could take them to court? It seems like a lot for £30
    I wouldn't waste any time with court action, although that's certainly open to you.

You say you initially made contact with this firm over Facebook?

Why not leave a negative review there, demanding publicly the return of your deposit immediately?

It's amazing how posting to social media can galvanise the recipient into swift remedial action.

Good luck.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    They cannot refund a payment which was made over 6 months ago without ringing Paypal and asking for it to be done manually. Go back to them and tell them you want the Paypal transaction reference. If they fail to provide it then send them an LBA (letter before action) sometimes that is enough to kick a firm up the backside, hopefully it is as legal action for £30 may not be worth your time.
  • Thanks for the advice. I'll ask for the PayPal transaction reference (no doubt I'll be ignored).
    Like I say, the money isn't the issue, it's the atrocious customer service and the fact they they think it's fine to just let someone down last minute, ruin someones day and just keep what's already been paid.

I kind of want to take legal action just so they have to pay the costs on top. Pretty much so they don't do it to anyone else again.

Unfortunately there's no way to leave a review on their Facebook page, I could comment on their adverts though, but that seems a bit petty, and could just be deleted anyway.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I imagine I could take them to court? It seems like a lot for £30 though, but I suppose they'd have to pay the court fees if I win?

I would think the judge would be likely to not award fees to make the point that you should not be wasting court time over £30.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Unfortunately there's no way to leave a review on their Facebook page
    If you can post on their page you can leave a review. If they delete it, just re-post. They won't like the bad publicity..
    I kind of want to take legal action just so they have to pay the costs on top. Pretty much so they don't do it to anyone else again.
    As before, you'd likely end up out-of-pocket if you go down this route for £30.
  • True, I think you can make it so you review posts before they're posted to your page though.

Didn't think of that with the court costs, I just assumed the losing side had to pay the costs as they were in the wrong and they essentially wasted the courts time by not refunding the money.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Even if you took them to court and received a judgement in your favour, that does not guarantee you getting that money
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I must admit, if I paid for something via facebook, I'd only do so after having the goods in my hands and checking them. Hiring a hot tub months in advance - no chance. Too many scams and too much that can go wrong. I'd at least be investigating the people I was dealing with.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course.

I think you will just have to put it behind you, sorry. Lesson learned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure