How much to live on per week

Comments

• BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2012 at 7:25AM
    Hi there,

I'm a third year student and I don't (and never have) received an allowance from my parents. I find it ridiculous that some people get £60 or £70 a week.

Do you get the full student loan?

Do you get a maintenance grant?

I have between £13-£26 left over from my loan after rent and that is to pay for bills too. I'm not entitled to any bursaries etc.

I manage just fine.

Realistically, to live easily £35-40 is more than enough when bills are included in halls.

Really threads like this make me angry because according to the gov i'm too rich to get bursaries but I don't see how my parents wealth affects how much money I have.

Sigh.

But the wealth that your parents "don't have" means that you probably get a larger student loan and probably a maintenance grant. Not all students get this.

.......and *Sigh* 2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2019 £16,112
  • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    edited 3 October 2012 at 7:42AM
    Bear in mind that a 35 year old single person on the dole, living alone in a 1-bed flat, will get £71/week to pay for: Gas, water, electricity, contents insurance, TV license, food, clothes and travel/clothes for interviews, haircuts, toiletries, etc. (And maybe have to top up their rent too af LHA's not enough).

"Bear in mind" that some parents aspire to a better sandard of living for their kids than that of a person living on the dole. People living on the dole (and poor people in general) will have life expectancy less than the rest of the population because of poor diet and lack of exercise.....why would anyone want to subject their kids to that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/jul/02/poor-in-uk-dying-10-years-earlier-than-rich
    Poor in UK dying 10 years earlier than rich
    Healthy living is cut short by 17 years for poorest in Britain
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/feb/10/equality-poverty-health-society

Two thirds of Scots students skip meals or turn off heating to avoid debt

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/193038-two-thirds-of-scots-students-skip-meals-or-turn-off-heating-to-avoid-debt/

• kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    My son is hopefully going to University next year, I say hopefully because his confidence seems to be up and down on whether he is capable of achieving the grades. Frustrating as he got 5a's 2 a* 2 b's and a c so i think he should be capable. His a's were in core subjects with the a* in maths and science. Anyway I digress.

I think that my son will get approximately £4k maintenance loan, I am estimating that we will make up the difference for his catered halls. We will also cover bus pass, mobile phone, books, tv licence, anything over and above that he will need to cover with a job. I think that is fair - your thoughts.
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2012 at 9:29AM
    "Bear in mind" that some parents aspire to a better sandard of living for their kids than that of a person living on the dole. People living on the dole (and poor people in general) will have life expectancy less than the rest of the population because of poor diet and lack of exercise.....why would anyone want to subject their kids to that?
    ]

Why on earth should students expect a higher standard of living than someone who is unemployed when they are studying by choice and have the option of topping up their income with a part time job? Since when was living on a low budget not synonymous with being a student?

What have parental aspirations got to do with this anyway?
  • mrs_motivated
    mrs_motivated Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    kazd wrote: »
    My son is hopefully going to University next year, I say hopefully because his confidence seems to be up and down on whether he is capable of achieving the grades. Frustrating as he got 5a's 2 a* 2 b's and a c so i think he should be capable. His a's were in core subjects with the a* in maths and science. Anyway I digress.

I think that my son will get approximately £4k maintenance loan, I am estimating that we will make up the difference for his catered halls. We will also cover bus pass, mobile phone, books, tv licence, anything over and above that he will need to cover with a job. I think that is fair - your thoughts.

Depends which uni he goes to and what he is studying - lots of uni's frown on part time working (Oxbridge uni's - part time working is a no no).

Personally I cant see why there is a problem with a part time job as long as it is sensible hours. My daughter, was working part time at a hotel prior to going to uni - they have agreed she can work in her holidays and when they have large functions on at a weekend. So term time she only works the odd weekend and she is sorted for the holidays. I think this is ideal, of course i realise she is lucky to have this option.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    edited 4 October 2012 at 7:38AM
    Dunroamin wrote: »
    Why on earth should students expect a higher standard of living than someone who is unemployed when they are studying by choice and have the option of topping up their income with a part time job? Since when was living on a low budget not synonymous with being a student?

What have parental aspirations got to do with this anyway?

After raising their children to be healthy for nearly 20 years why would parents want their children to live on the diet of an unemployed person?

Why after years of sending their kids to gymnastic, tennis and football classes would parents want their kids to be deprived of access to a gym and proper exercising facilities?

Some parents aspire to good health for their families but maybe you weren't aware of this?

And by the way, if you still don't believe that povety leads to poor health try using google....

• :eek: I didn't realize some people's parents actually pay for their halls for them? Must get a bit expensive after a while if you've got more than one kid. Thankfully I get maximum loan and the ALG too, so after accommodation I've got about £65 a week to live on :) your budget sounds about right, although if by "entertainment" you include going out and getting drunk, depending on how expensive the student bars are he may need a bit more :p
  • AnnBar
    AnnBar Posts: 75 Forumite
    :eek: I didn't realize some people's parents actually pay for their halls for them? Must get a bit expensive after a while if you've got more than one kid. Thankfully I get maximum loan and the ALG too, so after accommodation I've got about £65 a week to live on :) your budget sounds about right, although if by "entertainment" you include going out and getting drunk, depending on how expensive the student bars are he may need a bit more :p

I don't think some parents have much choice. We are in Scotland so are very lucky to have no fees to pay however this also means that the other loans for living expenses are VERY small for those on a middle incomes - down to £960 per year. Parents have little choice but to pay rent etc. Even if the student has saved in advance or gets a job, as my son has, there is no way that he could make up the amount of money he needs to manage on such a small loan without substantial parental help.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    After raising their children to be healthy for nearly 20 years why would parents want their children to live on the diet of an unemployed person?

Why after years of sending their kids to gymnastic, tennis and football classes would parents want their kids to be deprived of access to a gym and proper exercising facilities?

Some parents aspire to good health for their families but maybe you weren't aware of this?

And by the way, if you still don't believe that povety leads to poor health try using google....

People living on JSA don't necessarily have a bad diet unless, like many students, they spend their food money on drink and drugs. However much you give your student offspring to live on, you can't guarantee that they'll be healthy, you may just be enabling them to smoke 30 rather than 20 a day.
  • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    edited 16 October 2012 at 6:56AM
    People living on JSA don't necessarily have a bad diet unless, like many students, they spend their food money on drink and drugs.

What??? So all unemployed people have poor health because they drink and do drugs? It's got nothing to do with their lack of money at all?
    Barriers to healthy eating
    In order to eradicate inequalities in nutrition, the
    main barriers to eating healthily must be removed.
    These include:
    ■ Low income and debt making healthier foods
    (which are generally more expensive) such as
    fresh fruit and vegetables, less affordable
    Food Poverty and Health
    In the UK, the poorer people are, the worse their diet, and the more
    diet-related diseases they suffer from. This is food poverty. Poor diet
    is a risk factor for the UK’s major killers of cancer, coronary heart
    disease (CHD) and diabetes. Yet it is only in the past few years that the
    immense contribution it makes to poor health has been quantified:
    poor diet is related to 30% of life years lost in early death and
    disability.
    Inequalities in people’s diets can result in inequalities in people’s
    health. Those on low incomes suffer from poor diets, as evidenced by
    lower fruit and vegetable intakes, and a higher prevalence of dental
    caries among children. They are also disproportionately affected by the
    major killer diseases. It is estimated that as many as 10 million people
    in the UK live in poverty, including nearly three million children.

Inequalities in diet
    ■ People on low incomes eat more processed foods
    which are much higher in saturated fats and
    salt.They also eat less variety of foods.This is
    related to economies of scale and fear of
    potential waste.
    ■ People living on state benefits eat less fruit and
    vegetables, less fish and less high-fibre
    breakfast cereals.
    ■ People in the UK living in households without an
    earner consume more total calories, and
    considerably more fat, salt and non-milk
    extrinsic sugars than those living in households
    with one or more earners.
    http://www.fph.org.uk/uploads/bs_food_poverty.pdf

However much you give your student offspring to live on, you can't guarantee that they'll be healthy, you may just be enabling them to smoke 30 rather than 20 a day.

So you have concluded that you shouldn't give your student child "any money" just in case they spend it on cigarettes? Even if a parent knows for a fact they their children don't smoke? Even if the parent knows their child well enough to know they will spend the money on healthy food? What about paying for their gym membership? On what basis do you think parents shouldn't do that?

Seriously, do you even have any kids Dunroamin/ONW? or like PasturesNew are you childless?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family