PhD support group?

Options

Comments

• studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    introduction-- that is where you are going, how you doing it in very board terms (I know that is more method but still a few words wont harm), What you are trying to prove, why it is vital to prove it, historical story context and the relation of your work to other work done.

I think you need to flow chart all these sections in the discussion and have a play about.
    :beer:
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cupid_stunt: Perhaps you want to take a day off and don't think about it, you'll be surprised at how good that does to clear your head and get you thinking again.
    As for over-running the three years, does your supervisor have any emergency cash stashed away for situations like this? Not all supervisors are so lucky (nor nice!) but if you don't ask you don't get. Most universities have 4th year money (we have £1000 per student, yikes), ask admin or graduate studies office.

And since we all have Western blotting problems, shall we start a technical troubleshooting crash course?
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    introduction-- that is where you are going, how you doing it in very board terms (I know that is more method but still a few words wont harm), What you are trying to prove, why it is vital to prove it, historical story context and the relation of your work to other work done.

I think you need to flow chart all these sections in the discussion and have a play about.

I know what to put in i just can't do it.
    I had to write a dissertation for my undergard degree. Had no probs. Had to do a longer dissertation for my masters and had no problems either. I had to submit a transfer report last year and despite having absolutely no data I didn't have this problem then either.

With regards to having a day off unfortunately it has to be handed in to my supervisor on monday. Hence the big big panic.
    And today I have patching to do so I can't even do writing today.
    And on that note i'm actually going to get back on with my patching and see if it gives me inspiration (stranger things have happened)
  • cupid_s
    Options
    misskool wrote:
    And since we all have Western blotting problems, shall we start a technical troubleshooting crash course?

Yes!
    I don't get any bands. HELP ME!
  • studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    I know what to put in i just can't do it.
    I had to write a dissertation for my undergard degree. Had no probs. Had to do a longer dissertation for my masters and had no problems either. I had to submit a transfer report last year and despite having absolutely no data I didn't have this problem then either.

With regards to having a day off unfortunately it has to be handed in to my supervisor on monday. Hence the big big panic.
    And today I have patching to do so I can't even do writing today.
    And on that note i'm actually going to get back on with my patching and see if it gives me inspiration (stranger things have happened)

Ah well, I tried but probably what I say is not much use.
    Have you tried drawing a chart, a picture, a poster anything to think in a difference way?

Does it have to be an essay style?
    could you do it as a powerpoint or something else that would not give you writers block?
    :beer:
  • dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    OOohhh I finished mine in 1999.

So can i offer hope and inspiration to you all? Because if I managed to get to the end then it is possible.

Lab knocked down (literally) in the middle of my third year. No proper lab facilities for about 6 months. Supervisor upsticks and moved to OZ at start of 3rd year. Other lecturer in the group left.

Westerns I'm afraid I know nothing but Southerns I can do!
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LOL, I get no bands in my Westerns as well!!! HELP US...

I can do a mean Northern if anyone needs help on that.
  • ffeindadifyr
    Options
    The other option which I'm looking into at the moment is the Open University for extra cash - have you thought about that?

Will also look good on your CV in years to come if you want to eventually become a lecturer... there was a good article on this in the times higher today.

Does anybody here do any research at a synchrotron - I'd love to reminisce!
  • dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    I work as an AL for the OU and it is great but I don't know whether I could have done it whilst I was a PhD Student. It's a lot more time consuming that it looks especially the first year you work and it's not that well paid for the amount of work you do.

I started off with working summer schools which were great and a fantastic way to get a foot in the door with the OU and these are doable whilst doing a PhD (although you will be very tired at the end of the week).

There is stiff competition for a lot of OU jobs but they do put regional jobs up on their web site. Look under AL vacancies.

I've not read the Higher article I'll have to go and find it.....
  • cupid_s
    Options
    Its not the developer or fixer as they're worknig for another girl here in another lab. The antibody works fine for immuno and the secondary is new (tried some off someone else that didn't work either) I can't even detect beta actin.
    We have made up new stocks of everything used to make gels as well as all the buffers. We are using sampl;es that I've detected the protein in before but I can't find it now so i'm sure it's not the samples.
    Next step is to try doing it via peroxidase enzyme instead. If this doesn't work i'm at a total loss.
    Any advice gratefully received (for me and misskool i'm sure)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure