Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• chocolates
    chocolates Posts: 85 Forumite
    Hi there ,im currently in a dmp. I'm starting University in September and have applied for a student loan,i also want to apply for the maintenance grant. It says i have to send evidence of outstanding debts,will being on a dmp go against me?
    Time to stop wasting money and start saving some!! :T
  • bethjo
    bethjo Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi I need some advice

Been living on my own for 2 years now, just finished the first year of my degree and struggled financially as I was late applying for loans/grants/bursaries and couldn't get in touch with SLC.

Basically, I have lived alone for the past two years because my mum emigrated, however, SLC said I wasn't classed as independent because it hadn't been three years, and I had contact with my dad so it would need to go off my mum's P60 (Who had her redundancy pay packet on there :/ ) or my dads (who I have never been financially dependant of). I'm just confused and wondering if there was a way around it because this year I have really struggled to cope with the cost of my equipment (A Mac, various papers, printing etccc) and don't want to be in the same predicament this year. Is there a number where I can ring and speak to somebody? Or a website link? Looked everywhere and found nothing :(
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No chance.

I suggest cutting your costs. You don't really need a Mac, as I'm sure you'll find most universities have suites available for use. SLC are right, you do not meet the criteria withing Paragraph 2 of Schedule 4 in The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2010.
  • bethjo
    Taiko wrote: »
    No chance.

I suggest cutting your costs. You don't really need a Mac, as I'm sure you'll find most universities have suites available for use. SLC are right, you do not meet the criteria withing Paragraph 2 of Schedule 4 in The Education (Student Support) Regulations 2010.

This year I got my mac cheap, with my own savings. My previous computer was unable to handle loading up Microsoft Word, never mind the Design software I'm required to use.

Where can I find the regulations that you stated?

I don't understand why it needs to be so complicated to apply for finance and why I should struggle to pay for my equipment it's ridiculous
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    bethjo wrote: »
    This year I got my mac cheap, with my own savings. My previous computer was unable to handle loading up Microsoft Word, never mind the Design software I'm required to use.

I don't understand why it needs to be so complicated to apply for finance and why I should struggle to pay for my equipment it's ridiculous

Your university has equipment such as computers, access to papers (the library...). If you are struggling after getting a "cheap" mac, get a job.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    bethjo wrote: »

It's not complicated to apply for finance, it's just that you're trying to get the SLC to agree to something which isn't in their regulations. You are making it sound like buying a Mac was a compulsory purchase for your course which is highly doubtful. Surely you could have used computers in the library? Personal computers are a luxury for students, not a necessity.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Type it into Google.
  • Can anyone offer any useful suggestions please. My Son is trying to complete his student finance application. At the moment his passport is out of date and he doesn't have a bank account. It seems that he needs a bank account and passport to apply for his loan, however he cannot get a bank account until he has a passport!! The deadline for applying is the end of this month.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Can anyone offer any useful suggestions please. My Son is trying to complete his student finance application. At the moment his passport is out of date and he doesn't have a bank account. It seems that he needs a bank account and passport to apply for his loan, however he cannot get a bank account until he has a passport!! The deadline for applying is the end of this month.

Put your bank details in and change it at a later date.
  • bethjo
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Your university has equipment such as computers, access to papers (the library...). If you are struggling after getting a "cheap" mac, get a job.

Lokolo, I have a job thank you.

And MrsManda, my Mac wasn't compulsory no, but buying paper, software, paints and various other equipment IS. I thought that was the whole point of the student loans, to assist with buying materials related to the course? It gets a little bit expensive when you need to spend £10 on a pad of paper :doh:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback