Tesco's remove plastic food bags

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Anyone buying their week's fruit and vegetables could see a big bill. How many will remember to wash and take them again.

People said that about reusable shopping bags. Now everybody seems to manage just fine.
  • My local sainsburys has done away with plastic bags, replacing them with net bags made from recycled plastic.
    ..........& charging 30p for them.

The customer in front of me had stuffed all his fruit/veg in ONE. Poor checkout girl had to get the spring onions, leek, 2 apples, 2 pears & 3 tomatoes out, weigh/scan, then wait as he put them all back in.

I think he was making a point.
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Yes, at 30p each!

Anyone buying their week's fruit and vegetables could see a big bill. How many will remember to wash and take them again.

Paper bags would be recyclable.

We saw these 30p net bags in Sainsbury for the first time about a week ago. At the till the cashier asked us if we wanted to buy the bags, which we did, but it made me think afterwards that you could use the net bags to get your fruit & veg to the till and then decant into your own containers & give the bags back?
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We saw these 30p net bags in Sainsbury for the first time about a week ago. At the till the cashier asked us if we wanted to buy the bags, which we did, but it made me think afterwards that you could use the net bags to get your fruit & veg to the till and then decant into your own containers & give the bags back?

Now there's plan :beer:
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Why not put one of their baskets into the trolley, decant onto the conveyor and load into own bags after till. No need to use one of their plastic mesh bags.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

In the Sainsburys I've been in, they suggest that you bring your own containers for loose fruit and veg.

You weigh them loose on the fruit and veg scale, and print out a ticket. Then put them in your own container.

I guess you can stick the ticket on the container - but I would just fold each ticket in half so it sticks to itself (without folding the barcode).

Then let the checkout person scan the loose tickets.

But I guess you might get 'alerts' on the self-checkout, because of the extra weight of the containers.
  • We are now (mostly) used to carrying plastic shopping bags to reuse as needed. Why not use one of those to put your veg in (as mentioned above)? Or just put them in a basket. I do that all the time.

Not sure why its a big issue.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    rach_k wrote: »
    People said that about reusable shopping bags. Now everybody seems to manage just fine.

Indeed, but I only take a couple of shopping bags. I often need apples, carrots, parsnips, peppers, courgettes

I suspect that these 30p bags are less able to be recycled than good old paper bags.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    eddddy wrote: »
    In the Sainsburys I've been in, they suggest that you bring your own containers for loose fruit and veg.
    And my immediate thought was - how many containers do I bring? I might have 4 types of loose stuff on the list and be enticed by a 5th?
    But I guess you might get 'alerts' on the self-checkout, because of the extra weight of the containers.
    Will not might :D

Depending on what it is - do you need a container? You don't need one for, say, a hand of bananas unless they are wet (as they sometimes are) or for a few loose apples, citrus fruit etc. You just need to place them in the trolley together - then to the conveyor - then to your bags. People have just become acclimatised to the plastic bags for everything because they were there.

Over in the bakery section - the plastic bags have been replaced with paper bags (just like the olden days eh?) so I shall be saving those and taking them back to use for veg next time.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    We are now (mostly) used to carrying plastic shopping bags to reuse as needed. Why not use one of those to put your veg in (as mentioned above)? Or just put them in a basket. I do that all the time.

Not sure why its a big issue.

I don't have plastic shopping bags, sort of defeats the object!

At our Sainsbury's they've replaced the bakery counter altogether. Used to be staffed & they put the cakes in card boxes. Now it's prepacked in plastic containers.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • pollypenny wrote: »
    Indeed, but I only take a couple of shopping bags. I often need apples, carrots, parsnips, peppers, courgettes

I suspect that these 30p bags are less able to be recycled than good old paper bags.

Why would you recycle them? they're intended to be reusable.

I'm not sure any sort of separate bag is really necessary for loose fruit & veg so long as you pack them carefully in your "bag(s) for life".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure