Repaying Student Loans 2009/10 guide discussion

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Brian_Cox wrote: »
    This is STILL an issue no one talks about. And the post above is wrong.
    The stated repayment threshold for student loans is completely misleading. If you are a contract worker or self employed and your income goes up and down during the year you can earn in total way below the threshold but still make substantial payments because the yearly total is averaged per month across the year. If, as many young people do, they earn above the threshold for one month then then very little for the rest of the year they will still trigger the repayment of the loan. The student loan company assumes that if you earn, say, £2,500 for one month and then £1000 a month or less for the rest of the year you will still make full loan repayments for the year as if you earned £2000+ every month.
    Given that lots of young people have precarious and intermittent income after university this really should be shouted from the roof-tops.
    Martin - please make this clear in you public statements about the student loan as it makes a huge difference for some people.
    Brian

It works on a pay period basis - exactly how National Insurance contributions work.

If you earn below the annual threshold then you can claim a refund.
  • Its easy to find savings accounts that better the borrowing interest rate of "Plan 1" Student Loan: at the moment, a number of one-year fixed savings accounts are offering >2.0%. So I find it difficult to understand why paying-off the loan would be advantageous.
  • Hi,

New here, just need advice regarding paying off the loan. I understand this may have been posted previously though just wanted clarity on my own situation.

I have a plan 1 and 2 so 9% is being deducted. Student loan outstanding is around £16,000 and my salary is £38,000. I have no other debt.

I have the money to pay the loans off, though unsure if this is going to save me any money.

My take on this is:

1) If I leave paying it off, I will end up paying through around £21,000 for the next 12 years through paye. This is the equivalent of around £14,000 of cash after tax/ni.
    So with £16k in the bank, less £14k (payments over the years) leaves me with £2k

2) If i pay today, the £16k will be deducted leaving £0 in my bank, however over the years I will receive the extra cash of £14,000 due to repayment being stopped leaving me with £14k in the bank.

Clearly the second option leaves me better off as £16k paid now, will result in no cash for myself however extra net pay compared to before when there wasn't.

I just need to know if I am seeing this clearly. I've read the mse article on paying off however that is for low earners who will never pay their debt off so I understand for them there is no point. The way things are going, it will be before 30 years that I will pay the loan off through paye. I need to know which is going to be the cheaper or cost savings option. Pay off now or leave it to pay itself off.

Any advice or perspectives will be much appreciated.
  • Ed-1
    Hi,

New here, just need advice regarding paying off the loan. I understand this may have been posted previously though just wanted clarity on my own situation.

I have a plan 1 and 2 so 9% is being deducted. Student loan outstanding is around £16,000 and my salary is £38,000. I have no other debt.

I have the money to pay the loans off, though unsure if this is going to save me any money.

My take on this is:

1) If I leave paying it off, I will end up paying through around £21,000 for the next 12 years through paye. This is the equivalent of around £14,000 of cash after tax/ni.
    So with £16k in the bank, less £14k (payments over the years) leaves me with £2k

2) If i pay today, the £16k will be deducted leaving £0 in my bank, however over the years I will receive the extra cash of £14,000 due to repayment being stopped leaving me with £14k in the bank.

Clearly the second option leaves me better off as £16k paid now, will result in no cash for myself however extra net pay compared to before when there wasn't.

I just need to know if I am seeing this clearly. I've read the mse article on paying off however that is for low earners who will never pay their debt off so I understand for them there is no point. The way things are going, it will be before 30 years that I will pay the loan off through paye. I need to know which is going to be the cheaper or cost savings option. Pay off now or leave it to pay itself off.

When did you take out the plan 1 loan and when did you take out the plan 2 loan?

I assume you're aware that you're repaying 9% above the plan 1 threshold (currently £18,935) and 9% of (£25,725 - £18,935) goes to the plan 1 loan and 9% over £25,725 goes to the plan 2 loan. Tha plan 1 loan is written off at age 65 if taken before 2006 or after 25 years if taken after 2006 but before 2012. The plan 2 loan is written off after 30 years.

Are you sure you'll pay off both loan balances?
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,

My take on this is:

if you have that much in savings in the bank and owning a home is something you could imagine for your future then i'd use it towards a deposit instead of paying your loan off.
  • We have a similar question but more fundamental than actual numbers. My Daughter has plan 1 from 3 years at uni from 2008 to 2011 and plan 2 from 1 year at uni in 2018. The plan 2 has much bigger interest and is already almost as much as the plan 1 loan.

As both kick in a different points in the salary, and for different amounts, we are very confused as to how much she would actually be paying off. We can't find any info on it.

She doesn't have a job yet but when she does will expect it to be just over £24k in the first year rising to £35k over the next few years.

Can anyone point us to the relevant information please?
  • Ed-1
    cassie75 wrote: »
    We have a similar question but more fundamental than actual numbers. My Daughter has plan 1 from 3 years at uni from 2008 to 2011 and plan 2 from 1 year at uni in 2018. The plan 2 has much bigger interest and is already almost as much as the plan 1 loan.

As both kick in a different points in the salary, and for different amounts, we are very confused as to how much she would actually be paying off. We can't find any info on it.

She doesn't have a job yet but when she does will expect it to be just over £24k in the first year rising to £35k over the next few years.

Can anyone point us to the relevant information please?

Screenshot-20190927-224230-Chrome.jpg

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/what-you-pay?step-by-step-nav=18045f76-ac04-41b7-b147-5687d8fbb64a
  • Hi all,

I left the UK in February 2018 to travel and have now settled in Australia. Now that I am in full employment I have been asked by SLC to make payments of 246 GBP per month, which amounts to just over 450 AUD.

I've spoken with SLC saying I'm unable to make those payments, firstly they were very unhelpful and secondly they didn't care and just read off a sheet. They have now said I can make payments of 160 GBP but I would be in arrears of 86 GBP per month.

Should I reconsider and have no life to make the repayments or is being in arrears just something I should just accept?

I know that over time this is going to build up, but at the moment I can only afford 160 GBP. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Did you ask what , apart from incurring interest charges, would be the consequences of being in arrears? Would that lead to any action being taken?
  • Scarlottie wrote: »
    Hi all,

I left the UK in February 2018 to travel and have now settled in Australia. Now that I am in full employment I have been asked by SLC to make payments of 246 GBP per month, which amounts to just over 450 AUD.

I've spoken with SLC saying I'm unable to make those payments, firstly they were very unhelpful and secondly they didn't care and just read off a sheet. They have now said I can make payments of 160 GBP but I would be in arrears of 86 GBP per month.

Should I reconsider and have no life to make the repayments or is being in arrears just something I should just accept?

I know that over time this is going to build up, but at the moment I can only afford 160 GBP. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

thank you!

The 246 looks like its the default amount, have you sent them proof of wages in Aus, weather this is a contract or 3 months worth of payslips?

When did you start uni/which plan are you on? and how much do you earn in AUD
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback