Capital One credit limits

Hi all. I'm trying to improve my credit history due to a mistake i made a few years ago. I have a Capital One card which i got in 2016 with a credit limit of £500. I manage it pretty well and credit limit has been increased over 3 years to £2500. Was wondering what the highest credit limit someone has had with Capital One is? Im hoping it goes higher so it's better for keeping avaliable credit utilisation down if for any reason i need to carry a balance in the future. Although the APR is quite high (26%), I'm happy to stay with Capital One to avoid taking out another line of credit with another issuer with a higher limit.

Comments

• The largest limit will be several times your current one

To improve how lenders see you though - and to have a back up - try to get at least one additional card.

Your restricted access to credit is holding you back from lenders showing more trust in you.
  • Thanks for the tip. I'd never have known that.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,805
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 8:08AM
    I have got capital credit card one since 2013. Is was started with £1500 and then about two years ago It was increased to £2500. This year I asked for another increase they did not approve it. I always pay my balance in full each month.

I need a credit limit increase because this is my only spending credit card that will earn me 0.5% Cashback in sterling and foreign currencies. In a few occasions I have made extra payment in between to bring the balance down so I could still have a sizeable limit to spend during that month.

TBH I also still do not understand the way credit limit increase work. I have read quite a few explanation on MSE forum but I still think it does not practically apply to my case, I have other credit cards with limit much higher than my Capital One creditcard. Also in the past few years I managed to get a few £0 BT card for stoozing purpose as well well as remortgage with favourable rate.

Another case, I currently have ASDA credit card with limit of £300 (yes three hundred) that I have been having it for about 18 months but so far the limit never increase. But i do not want to cancel this CC as this is good to get 1% cashback when shopping in ASDA.

Does anyone have other tips how to increase Capital one credit card limit ??
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494
    Forumite
    I've had a Cap One card for well over 10 years, possibly as long as 20, and as far as I can remember the limit has never changed @ £15,000. However this was from before they started concentrating on the sub-prime market.
  • adindas wrote: »
    I have got capital credit card one since 2013. Is was started with £1500 and then about two years ago It was increased to £2500. This year I asked for another increase they did not approve it. I always pay my balance in full each month.

I need a credit limit increase because this is my only spending credit card that will earn me 0.5% Cashback in sterling and foreign currencies. In a few occasions I have made extra payment in between to bring the balance down so I could still have a sizeable limit to spend during that month.

TBH I also still do not understand the way credit limit increase work. I have read quite a few explanation here but I still think it does not practically apply to my case, I have other credit cards with limit much higher than that. Also in the past few years I managed to get a few £0 BT card for stoozing purpose as well well as remortgage with favourable rate.

Another case, I currently have ASDA credit card with limit of £300 (yes three hundred) that I have been having it for about 18 months but so far the limit never increase. But i do not want to cancel this CC as this is good to get 1% cashback when shopping in ASDA.

Does anyone have other tips how to increase Capital one credit card limit ??

Have a look at Tandem or even Aqua as they also offer 0.5% cashback.
    Amex offers a higher rate as well.
  • adindas
    Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 8:06AM
    !!! wrote: »
    Have a look at Tandem or even Aqua as they also offer 0.5% cashback.
    Amex offers a higher rate as well.

Thanks. But I currently already have nine creditcards, so I prefer not to apply for another creditcard.

Yes Tandem and Aqua are good complements but my preferable option is a limit increase with Capital One, considering the number of CCs that I already have. Also I could still manage the current limit for purchase by keep making intermittent manual payment to bring the balance down. Tandem is only using mobile platform, not my preferable option.

I used to have Aqua, but with limit of lower than £1000. I canceled it a few years ago to make a room for stoozing with 0% creditcards.

Considering the place where I normally make a purchase, I think it is difficult to reach a threshold of £3,000/yr to benefit for of any cashback with Amex card.
  • adindas
    Forumite
    msallen wrote: »
    I've had a Cap One card for well over 10 years, possibly as long as 20, and as far as I can remember the limit has never changed @ £15,000. However this was from before they started concentrating on the sub-prime market.

The Capital One Classic creditcard is one of the best in term of cashback if you include £10 annual bonus (+0.5%) they give you for good behaviour.
  • adindas wrote: »
    Thanks. But I currently already have nine creditcards, so I prefer not to apply for another creditcard.

Yes Tandem and Aqua are good complements but my preferable option is a limit increase with Capital One, considering the number of CCs that I already have. Also I could still manage the current limit for purchase by keep making intermittent manual payment to bring the balance down. Tandem is only using mobile platform, not my preferable option.

I used to have Aqua, but with limit of lower than £1000. I canceled it a few years ago to make a room for stoozing with 0% creditcards.

Considering the place where I normally make a purchase, I think it is difficult to reach a threshold of £3,000/yr to benefit for of any cashback with Amex card.

The only other thing to try is applying for another Cap1 card, then consolidating the cards onto one combining the limits.

Cap1 for some reason refused to give me limit increases as well, however they seemed more than happy to let me apply for cards then consolidate them after.

There was a whole thread on it about a year or so ago
  • adindas
    Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 8:28AM
    The only other thing to try is applying for another Cap1 card, then consolidating the cards onto one combining the limits.

Cap1 for some reason refused to give me limit increases as well, however they seemed more than happy to let me apply for cards then consolidate them after.

Thanks this is a very usuful information. I was not aware that Capital One will consider a person to have the second creditcard.

I did limit shuffle with my Santander Creditcards. I got Santander Zero CC over 10 years ago with limit £500. I have been asking for limit increase multiple times, never approved. A few years ago they approve my application for 0% BT creditcard. After the 0% rate end I shuffled the limit to my Santander zero and then then cancel it.
  • adindas
    Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 8:49AM

Thanks this is a very usuful information. I was not aware that Capital One will consider a person to have the second creditcard and the opportunity to shuffle the credit limit between the two. I might do it later after I cancel my 0% BT card.

I have done the limit shuffle with my Santander Creditcards. I got Santander Zero CC over 10 years ago with limit £500. I have been asking for limit increase multiple times, never approved. A few years ago they approved my application for 0% BT creditcard with much higher limit. After the 0% rate ended I shuffled the limit to my Santander zero and then then canceled it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure