Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alex knight
    • By alex knight 18th May 19, 8:37 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 8Thanks
    alex knight
    Buying a car and what cover do I get?
    • 18th May 19, 8:37 PM
    Buying a car and what cover do I get? 18th May 19 at 8:37 PM
    Hi. Im looking to buy a car from a private seller for 10,000. Im worried that despite me doing checks that the car may turn out to be a clone, stolen or not what it seems. If I pay for some of the car on one of my credit cards will I be covered if it happens the car is a dud

Many thanks for your help
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 18th May 19, 8:56 PM
    • 23,835 Posts
    • 26,505 Thanks
    zx81
    • 18th May 19, 8:56 PM
    • 18th May 19, 8:56 PM
    A private seller won't accept a card payment.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 18th May 19, 9:07 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 18th May 19, 9:07 PM
    • 18th May 19, 9:07 PM
    Not quite in the right part of the forum, so you might not get the responses you were hoping for.

However, if you pay for some of the car on a credit card (not sure how you are going to do that with a private seller) and there is a breach of contract or misrepresentation by the seller that gives you a legal claim against that seller, you would have a like claim against the supplier of credit - i.e. your credit card company (subject to all the usual S75 qualification criteria).

Given the fact this looks to be a private sale, you aren't going to be able to pay by card but you will still be entering into a contract with the seller and you will still have rights for breach of contract, misrepresentation etc - but any claim would have to be resolved directly with the seller or through the courts - and you'd probably need to have a written contract to show what you were promised and how that was not fulfilled to be successful.
    • alex knight
    • By alex knight 19th May 19, 10:02 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    alex knight
    • 19th May 19, 10:02 AM
    • 19th May 19, 10:02 AM
    Ah thank you all Totally understand

Kind regards
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 9,416 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 20th May 19, 9:33 AM
    • 20th May 19, 9:33 AM
    I will move this to the standard credit card section as it is not about stoozing
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 20th May 19, 10:55 AM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 1,354 Thanks
    18cc
    • 20th May 19, 10:55 AM
    • 20th May 19, 10:55 AM
    I would google for tips about buying second hand cars from private sellers eg always go to their house (don't meet half way etc etc). You are pretty much on your own - eg if it was stolen then the rightful owner would reclaim it and you would lose your 10,000 unless you can take the seller to court and they have assets.

They will almost certainly want cash (I would before parting with my car) so you have no comeback. Make sure you get a receipt (so they can't claim it was stolen from them) and ideally take someone with you s a witness.
    Last edited by 18cc; 20-05-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 20th May 19, 2:22 PM
    • 26,115 Posts
    • 13,281 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 20th May 19, 2:22 PM
    • 20th May 19, 2:22 PM
    I would never buy a car for ten grand from a private seller.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 20th May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 20th May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 20th May 19, 3:16 PM
    You may find these links helpful.

https://www.theaacarcheck.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl_fp2bKq4gIVzZPtCh1OqQoeEAAYASA AEgKvy_D_BwE

https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspection/?source=Google&ito=87770&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuOql7O q4gIVgr_tCh3V5gs8EAAYASAAEgIDofD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#/mini-details

When purchasing the car ask the seller for valid photo ID and ensure details on the ID correspond to details on the car documents.
    Would suggest paying by bank transfer rather than cash and don't just accept the details from the seller. Copy them yourself from a bank statement or a cheque contained in a cheque book and check name on the account corresponds.
    If excuses are made or you have any concerns take your business elsewhere.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 20-05-2019 at 6:52 PM.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 20th May 19, 3:30 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 4,703 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 20th May 19, 3:30 PM
    • 20th May 19, 3:30 PM
    The other thing to bear in mind, following a recent thread on a similar topic, is to look carefully at the length of time the car's been owned by the current owner for.

I'd be really wary of anything under a year.

In that particular case, it appears that although all the paperwork and ID checked out, it had been previously purchased using a fake/stolen card!!! The car was then siezed by police.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,898Users online

Martin's Twitter