Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• inklove
    inklove Posts: 69 Forumite
    Sorry I my bill should have been rising to £72 not £73.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    inklove wrote: »

*additional information*
    Something interesting Scott told me was they have completely changed the way deals are done, in previous years you could negotiate and the agents could offer you any deal as long as their manager signed off on it, that’s now been scrapped completely as too many people were abusing it, now they can only offer set deals on the system, BUT every department has different deals available so sometimes it’s worth speaking to different departments not just retentions.
    He also said the option to give cash back/credit on account has also been completely scrapped, they can credit X months free but it’s rarely aproved and pretty much only to counteract a mistake made by sky.
    He said that they were told the ‘best’ deals they would ever get for people would be 40% off, (which is how the deal I keep being offered was £42) the system would not offer anything less.

The only loophole is if you can apply a different discount like I did on top of the 40% off deal.
    so on my online MySky home page there was a link to a ‘stay with sky’ deal of £15 for entertainment and £3.50 for add ons.
    When I previously mentioned it to agents they said they couldn’t mix it, so I could rather take their offer of £20+£1 for each or that offer of £15+£3.50 for each, Scott was able to just apply the discount for the entertainment pack.

I hope that information helps someone trying to negotiate they best deal.

That's all excellent information, cheers for that lot.

I'm presently into the final 2 months of my cancellation, it's a rolling monthly contract and I just want to ensure I get past the end of GoT final series if I do follow through.

I've spoken to them 2 or 3 times and am getting similar feedback re. discounts. I quoted the same £15+£3.50 addons from my own MySky page(had to send them a screenshot :( ) since on live chat and the phone the best they were talking about was £20+£1, using that they got it down to £15+£1 so mirrors your experience. I would have actually accepted that but they were adamant that a £10 'Admin Fee' was needed to 'access deep discounts', I absolutely refuse to pay this so I'll see if they come up with something better closer to close of play.

I have Sky mobile too and as the £10 discount for free calls & texts disappears if you cancel the TV I gave them a call. I was planning on paying the ETC's on the last couple of months as I presumed that it would be on the £6 rather than £16 (2GB of data) but before I'd got past stating that I had a cancellation in for May for the TV he'd offered to remove the tie-in to the TV permanently and I'd have free calls & texts for as long as I kept the service. I'd asked to push back the cancellation date previously but the agent didn't bother and I think it was this that made him instantly offer a discount to £4.50 for 12 months (minimum terms apply) without me speaking further.

I can't give the mobile side of things enough praise, he was excellent. He did have a look at the TV package although normally that's not his department, but he was coming up with the same figures.
  • supremetwo
    supremetwo Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    inklove wrote: »
    I finally negotiated a deal I was happy with.... but it took a lot of stress to do it.
    *additional information*
    Something interesting Scott told me was they have completely changed the way deals are done, in previous years you could negotiate and the agents could offer you any deal as long as their manager signed off on it, that’s now been scrapped completely as too many people were abusing it, now they can only offer set deals on the system, BUT every department has different deals available so sometimes it’s worth speaking to different departments not just retentions.
    I spoke/messaged several departments and the problem is that Sky has no set deals for 'ordinary' fibre, only fibre Max.

If your line cannot get that speed = no deal from Sky.

But, their subsidiary, Now, did provide Fab fibre broadband, line and anytime calls for £25 per month (and less via a cashback site as a new customer).
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    supremetwo wrote: »
    I spoke/messaged several departments and the problem is that Sky has no set deals for 'ordinary' fibre, only fibre Max.

If your line cannot get that speed = no deal from Sky.

But, their subsidiary, Now, did provide Fab fibre broadband, line and anytime calls for £25 per month (and less via a cashback site as a new customer).
    There's no such thing as "ordinary fibre" with Sky anymore. There's only Fibre Max or up to 11mb ADSL.
  • Been with Sky for 18 years and have not done a lot of haggling with them until today. I have Q with two mini boxes and pretty much a full package - entertainment, cinema, sports, HD, multi room.

My next bill was due to be £100.50. Phoned this morning to discuss and got offered the same package for £73.00 with a £15 admin fee. I turned it down and requested cancellation.

Once I had the cancellation email confirmation I waited until late this afternoon then logged in to My Sky via a link on this forum and there was an offer there reducing the phone offer even further, getting it down to £56.00 if I added back multiroom which wasnt showing for some reason.

Phoned them to check and they actually rounded it down to £50.00 per month with a £10 one off admin charge.

Two phone calls and my monthly bill is halved. £600 a year saved. Also managed to reduce my monthly BT Broadband/mobile pack by £50 a month today with one phone call.

Happy days!

I'm in a similar position. I've had Sky for 20 years at my current address & now have Sky Q Silver with 1 Mini box & Fibre Max and have the full Sky package including Sports, Movies, Box Sets, etc. My bill is about to go up from £110 to over £150 per month which is not acceptable.

Virgin Media are now in my area and are offering their VIP bundle for £75 per month so I called Sky last week and cancelled.
    I think I need to look back over this forum opost to find the link you mention as there's no offers available to me if I log into my Sky account directly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    headiboy wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position. I've had Sky for 20 years at my current address & now have Sky Q Silver with 1 Mini box & Fibre Max and have the full Sky package including Sports, Movies, Box Sets, etc. My bill is about to go up from £110 to over £150 per month which is not acceptable.

Virgin Media are now in my area and are offering their VIP bundle for £75 per month so I called Sky last week and cancelled.
    I think I need to look back over this forum opost to find the link you mention as there's no offers available to me if I log into my Sky account directly.

Don't go into the account details, go to https://www.sky.com/ and make sure you're logged in. There should be a 'Your Exclusive Offer, Stay With Sky' link, just click on it.
  • headiboy
    headiboy Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 28 March 2019 at 3:06PM
    Thanks. I tried that and, after chatting to a Sky representative as their was nothing mentioned about Sky Talk or Fibre, they are still wanting me to pay £98 to keep my existing bundle (except Kids tv channels as my two are now teenagers & haven't watched any of these for ages). I guess I'll be off to Virgin which is annoying as we have a few films that we downloaded to the Sky Q box using the Buy & Keep service but I guess that is offset by the £300 per year I'll save.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    headiboy wrote: »
    ...which is annoying as we have a few films that we downloaded to the Sky Q box using the Buy & Keep service but I guess that is offset by the £300 per year I'll save.

They will convert your purchases to a Sky Store account when you leave which can be accessed online or through the Sky Store App on iOS & Android.

For Android:-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skystore.app&hl=en_GB&rdid=com.bskyb.skystore.app
  • Nimai.31
    Nimai.31 Posts: 7 Forumite
    For three years I’ve called retentions and cancelled and got a good deal within my cooling off period.

This year I called and was told that if I cancelled I would have to give my sky q box back and get a new one even if I changed my mind within the 28 days.

Has anyone encountered this?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Nimai.31 wrote: »
    For three years I’ve called retentions and cancelled and got a good deal within my cooling off period.

This year I called and was told that if I cancelled I would have to give my sky q box back and get a new one even if I changed my mind within the 28 days.

Has anyone encountered this?
    I think you were told porkies. Yes you have to return the box as it's on loan, but that's usually within 60 days of the service ending so if you change your mind within the 30 days notice period then all you're doing is terminating the cancellation process so the service will continue.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback