£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Yesterday's list, before I start on today's...

to do today
    1. unpack and put away camping gear. Mostly done, last bits need putting away today.
    2. laundry. Done. Then rained on! Will need to spin it again and hang back out.
    3. Ironing mountain :o. Done!
    4. Bake flapjacks for school snacks. Done.
    5. Bake biscuits for play date. Play date cancelled, so didn't have to.
    6. Tidy up a bit before MIL arrives. Done.
    7. Make quiche for dinner - have foolishly menu planned a 'portable' dinner as Tuesdays usually involve dinner on the go, but have realised there is no swimming so I didn't need to. Silly me. Didn't need to do this as MIL brought dinner, hurrah!
    8. Update savings pots in YNAB. Not done.

to do this week
    1. survive MIL visiting. :A
    2. continue with cleaning the house thoroughly one room at a time.
    3. charity shop run with decluttered stuff that is currently (ironically) cluttering up the hallway.
    4. plan out the first couple of weeks of activities for the summer holidays.

Aims for July
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap. Well, a whopping £15 paid on top of the minimum payment so far, hoping to make another payment before end of month.
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt. So far so good, but there is one more camping trip to cover in August.
    3. Stick to the budget even more closely than in June!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 July 2017 at 5:20AM
    Options
    Week 23: Day 4

Budget is pushed to the limits as of yesterday - filling up the car and going food shopping on Monday, and DH taking the DC to a chippy for lunch while camping has basically used up the last of the food/fuel/entertainment kitties, so we're more or less running on fumes until the end of the month. If we can limp along with something left in the savings pots it will be a first though, as they have ended up more or less drained every single month since we started, so the fact that there is still £200+ in there means we are doing better than usual. Just keep limping along!

Having a couple of quiet months on the main business front has really made me realise how much I was relying on the big 'bonus' income from that business (ie over and above the usual minimum) to keep the budgets ticking over - it's been infinitely more challenging (obviously) in June and July without that £200-600 extra coming in, but it's been a good learning curve. Hopefully it will pick back up in September and I can use my newfound skills to throw some extra at the debt.

Had an interesting conversation with MIL last night about BIL and SIL. I had always assumed they had significantly more disposable income than us, based entirely on the fact that they do a much nicer food shop than we do - they always have nice yoghurts, fruit, snacks etc, eat lots more meat, and it's all from Sainsburys - and they go holiday a couple of times a year. She said that they are just constantly adding to their credit card debt though, and consider us the rich ones as I spend on clothes and our house is nicely done (theirs is worth much more, and much bigger, but it's tattier, and scruffy inside too.), and their holidays are very much about trying to give their kids comparable experiences to their friends so they don't feel left out (their DC go to private school and are very aware that they have friends with much more than they have). It's interesting how one's perception can be so different to the reality - I would have expected them to be CC-free, as I consider them fairly 'sensible'.

to do today
    1. unpack and put away last bits of camping gear.
    2. spin and re-hang all the laundry that got thunderstormed on.
    3. gel manicure (still loving the lamp!).
    4. Bake sourdough.
    5. Make pudding for family meeting (once a week, usually a Thursday but neither DH or I will be here and it seems mean to leave MIL to do it!).
    6. Update savings pots in YNAB to be more specific.
    7. Pack orders for smaller business.
    8. Sort the lego into tupperwares (I am unnaturally excited about this).
    9. Pick another room to tidy and declutter.

to do this week
    1. survive MIL visiting. :A
    2. continue with cleaning the house thoroughly one room at a time.
    3. charity shop run with decluttered stuff that is currently (ironically) cluttering up the hallway.
    4. plan out the first couple of weeks of activities for the summer holidays.

Aims for July
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap. Well, a whopping £15 paid on top of the minimum payment so far, hoping to make another payment before end of month.
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt. So far so good, but there is one more camping trip to cover in August.
    3. Stick to the budget even more closely than in June!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our lego used to be like that, and I was similarly obsessive about not mixing sets. Then the lego sets multiplied. And multiplied. And multiplied. The whole lot is in one enormous laundry basket at the minute, far too much to play with and not easy to access. We will get rid of perhaps 2/3 of it when we move it into tupperwares - they currently play with the odd tupperware-full that I pull out far more than they play with the whole laundry basket full.

Don't forget you can sell used Lego - even if you can't face Ebay and the like, at least one of the sell your games/dvd merchants buys it by weight (can't remember which at the moment)
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have colour coordinated tubs for Lego, I.e. One for white, one for pinks, purples etc... ours to became unmanageable to keep in sets and there is definitely something most satisfying about sorting it all away ;) we also have a drawer for all the books so we can still build the sets, they just take longer as you have to source the pieces :rotfl:

Well done for achieving lots and lots and lots whilst still not increasing you debt and paying it down. Purps.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We have colour coordinated tubs for Lego, I.e. One for white, one for pinks, purples etc... ours to became unmanageable to keep in sets and there is definitely something most satisfying about sorting it all away ;)

I definitely do not have the inclination to do that :) My two's boxes are mixed up and overflowing any time I find the odd bit, it either gets hoovered or binned :rotfl:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Very often lifestyles are supported by credit cards (as yours was until recently) but it is an illusion built on a pile of sand. All it takes is one thing to bring the whole lot down. Private school fees are horrendously expensive so maybe BIL and SIL are prioritising that and their holidays rather than general living expenses and house maintenance. At some point it will get to an unsustainable level though.

At least you can say you now have a grip on your finances.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have 3 massive plastic stacker boxes for lego, duplo and lego technik. All sets are mixed up but they get good use. The lego was partly from when my husband was a child (50 years ago) and part from when our girls were children (25 years ago). The duplo is now on its third generation with my 2 year old granddaughter using it. Still looks almost new but we have added new sets to it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are doing so well on keeping your savings pots funded, mine never last the month out :o

I have pinched the idea of splitting your food spends in to weekly amounts on YNAB and it is giving me greater clarity around our spending. This is our biggest problem area.

I'm also pinching the idea of a separate pot for each person for Christmas on YNAB instead of one 'Christmas' pot. ;)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    We have 3 massive plastic stacker boxes for lego, duplo and lego technik. All sets are mixed up but they get good use. The lego was partly from when my husband was a child (50 years ago) and part from when our girls were children (25 years ago). The duplo is now on its third generation with my 2 year old granddaughter using it. Still looks almost new but we have added new sets to it.

That's so sweet that it's being passed down the generations. My dad brought his old Lego out a few months ago for my four year old to play with. It's approximately 50 years old and is still functioning and engaging enough for my son to be delighted with. Lego certainly isn't a fad!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've said so many times on here - we NEVER know what is supporting someone else's lifestyle. The flash car might be on a lease agreement and not actually "owned", the "designer" clothes might be charity shop buys cleverly put together and stylishly worn, the posh house might have been inherited and the lifestyle itself might be being funded by ever increasing debt. If you live like that it's a house of cards and will eventually topple - building a sustainable life for yourself is something that parents owe to their kids in particular I think - it's not a good way to bring a child up with expectations over and above what is realistic in my opinion.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills