greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Glad to hear things are ticking over nicely in greent-land :) Mr Greent's work situation sounds soooo much better now, what great news xx
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    easylife73 wrote: »
    Hi greent, I've just caught up on your whole diary (!) as I was reading it earlier on and then fell of the whole MSE wagon, but have very much enjoyed reading about your journey. We too have a DS halfway through A levels and hopefully off to university next year. We've just been to our first open day, but the rest aren't until September/October time so nothing to compare it to yet. It will probably be the preferred choice as it is very local (only about half an hour away) and as he has been diagnosed with autism we want him to be reachable if necessary.

Hi easylife - am very impressed you've read the diary through!:eek: Our DD is only an hour away at uni and that's been handy at times. DS1 is looking at 3 unis an hour/ hour and 15 away, 1 1.5 hours away and the other in London..... Hope the rest of the open day visits go well :)
    Glad to hear things are ticking over nicely in greent-land :) Mr Greent's work situation sounds soooo much better now, what great news xx

I got home from work one day last week and he'd told his boss that he wasn't extending his contract (various stressors caused this) - anyway, hissy fit of his is now over and he's agreed the extension until 15th Dec. Am very glad - those 5 months are worth over £50k to the company - and I still haven't finalised my new kitchen plans! :rotfl::rotfl:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    edited 9 July 2017 at 5:02PM
    Options
    Phew! Exam season is now officially over - although I have spent the morning volunteering, so haven't gained any time! :D I've been invited to apply for an exam- admin role (full time for 8 weeks in the Summer) but think I'll decline - the hours are just a bit too hassle-y to sort with DS3 still being at primary and that being the first summer for DS2 at secondary (which will involve a drive to go and collect him if he ever has to stay after school and therefore cant catch the school bus) The other invitee has 2 older children (same ages as DD and DS1) and is therefore not as limited as me (plus her husband works from home/ very locally anyway) I think I'll go for the senior invig role instead - more pay and still flexibility of hours :T

Went with DD to Cardiff to collect the keys to her new student flat for next year on Sat - the flat was advertised as suitable for students or young professionals and had been fully refurbished the previous year, so I had high hopes...... the front garden was full of rubbish (assume the cleaners cleared everything out left by previous student tenants...), the back garden has waist high weeds/ nettles/ brambles (although a lovely patio with furniture (some of which is slightly broken) They (DD and bf) have chosen the first floor flat (ground floor was also available) - the first step of the stairs is really high - almost 2 'normal' stairs in height - all of us fell up/ down it at some point :( Both bedrooms have mould on the walls - cleaned off, yes - but not treated and repainted. One wardrobe broken and missing doors. One bedside table broken. 2 bulbs missing (out of 3 ) from the kitchen ceiling, missing lock on the bathroom door, falling down plasterwork in the one bedroom from the ceiling, dirty paintwork everywhere covered In bits of blutack/ blutack stains, broken toilet seat lid (hanging off) bedrooms had beds pushed up against heaters - we rearranged both bedrooms - they'll only really be using one anyway - but wanted the flexibility and room for two desks. One bed base has mould on from where it was against mouldy wall. Both chairs for the desks do not have rolling castors - they should have, but I think both are gunked up!! Oh - and the coffee table is broken (appears someone has stood on it) and there is an IKEA poang (?) chair in the living room which is dirty and missing its cover..... Left her and bf there for the weekend - will collect DD from train station tonight. Long list of issues (with pics) to be emailed to agents...

Money news - lovely amount from invig job 1 received last week - transferred to kitchen fund :T Timesheets submitted today for invig job 2 - that will be transferred when received ( end of Aug?) Will pay off sub acct 3 from BTL mtge next week once rent has been received - that will leave the remaining balance at approx. £64775 - will see how much of that I can clear by Xmas - should manage at least £1775, maybe even £2775 :) Tenants have asked if they can have a kitten - despite being told before they'd even looked at the flat (and a couple of times since) that no animals was part of the deal (legally I think it's actually an unfair terms of contract if they chose to push it... so I think I'd have to agree, sadly) I really don't want a kitten - new carpets and flooring (all less than a year old), there's no catflap in the front door, all woodwork and walls newly done less than a year ago.... both tenants are out at work all day (and one also works evenings) so I can't see it's fair on a kitten, tbh.

Right off to sort wet washing out (was spitting rain when I came back earlier) - and do some iroing in front of catch up tv before school run/ train station, I think. I really need to catch up on mf diaries (have neglected those whilst exams have been on and I've been re-reading Tilly's (am almost there - around 50 pages to go now)) - will hopefully manage that this week :)
    xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • greent
    Options
    Lovely lunch out today (scorchio weather here) with fellow invigilators plus the boss (exams officer) - Head picked up the drinks tab (only averaged around £6 pp inc any coffees afterwards - very restrained). Then went to collect DS2 from his transition day or whatever it's called at his new school, along with his PE kit (ordered late Mon - most impressed) PE top won't go over his head! :eek::D:D - so will need a bigger size (or even maybe up 2 - he does have rather a large head....) He had a fab time, which was good :)

Won £25 on PSB today (have £1100 in psb) - whoop! :D - will transfer to kitchen fund next time I log in (so tomorrow! :D)

Have DD sorting paperwork for charity thing out for me (ready so I can get rid of it by end of year) - she spent around 3 hours on it today, just sorting it into years (it is in a helluva mess) :eek: - it is definitely the right thing to do (for me) - have been doing it (treasurer role) for 7 years (in 2 incarnations of the charity) and it is time to pass it on. I will still be a Trustee of the charity and maybe an occasional volunteer but want to pass the finance responsibility on (TBH - it will be a good thing - the 3 trustees currently operate as chair/ treasurer/ secretary - new blood would be good) I'm also looking to the space I'll gain from handing over paperwork! :D
    x
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounding good. But :eek: to carppy flats and tenants with no sense..

Have a good weekend
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • greent
    Options
    Weekend mixed - but overall positive. Sold a decent amount at NNS. Watched Minions 3 with OH and smalls (quite enjoyable!) Had disagreement with Chair of charity and tendered immediate resignation rather than leaving at end of year (at latest) - will still do the banking I've got here and get paperwork and records up straight but am not doing anything else going forward. Don't think I'll be selling there in the future, either - good job I don't have that much nowadays!

Best bit? - my beautiful cousin got engaged this weekend to a lovely chap and they came to visit today, which was wonderful. Very, very pleased for them both - such a lovely couple :)

Off out with OH for a short walk now before dinner :)
    xx
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you had such a good day with rellies :)

But oh! Saw you mention stopping work with the charity on the kondo thread, didn't realise they precipitated your planned resignation timetable :( hope you're okay with it - you sound it, actually, which is good :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    Options
    I am, Kc - the Chair and I haven't seen eye to eye on some decisions for a while now. Sadly, the charity needs to be run on a more professional basis - I hoped the move to new premises would help to facilitate this, but it doesn't appear that that is the case. I am not there enough nowadays and struggle with how things are done and the lack of understanding for financial forward planning (new premises have a 5 year lease at almost 3 x the cost of previous premises) It is a shame it has ended in a not-good way, but not everything ends well in life.

On a more positive note, this afternoon I watched DS2 in a Y6 musical production of Romeo & Juliet - it was fab! They were all brilliant :) Almost can't quite believe they only have 9 more days left at primary school!
  • greent
    Options
    Just repaid sub acct 3 of BTL mtge :) :j - 1 down, 2 more to go.......
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Have you read 'The Diary of a Provincial Lady"?

You sound just like her.

Great enforcing of boundaries re: kitten, crappy flat and charity.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback