Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yep, I think I may have to go back to that, its starting to get a bit silly.

No chance to do any gardening today :( utterly throwing it down, so I'm picking at jobs in the house - tidying, cleaned the insides of some windows, bit of work on the computer, but an amazing amount of that list hasn't bee done :D really, I don't know why I bother making a list on some days :rotfl:
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • I make lists to get things out of my head, not necessarily because they have to be done! Leaves more room in my brain to think of crazy ideas :)
  • Karmacat
    Thats a *very* good point EE - I often find myself making a list on my phone quite late in the evening for that very reason, calms my headspace down. My sister seems to have temporarily claimed my Decluttering Crown, however, so I have to get my act together. In that spirit:

- weeding, *anything* would be better than nothing.
    - open the dratted post, woman, that *really* needs doing.
    - evacuee letters, the transcripts, scans of the originals, and the originals themselves, all need to be collated and integrated.
    - cleaning, especially in the kitchen. That would be awfully nice.
    - strong possibility of a trip to the charity shops to donate stuff. That will mean walking, which is A Good Thing.

I've peeped into one of the boxes languishing in my bookcase, which used to languish in my under the stairs cupboard. Erm, ornaments. Cats, nearly all of them. Not all of which I like, so I'm going to be strong.
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    .....I've peeped into one of the boxes languishing in my bookcase, which used to languish in my under the stairs cupboard. Erm, ornaments. Cats, nearly all of them. Not all of which I like, so I'm going to be strong.

That strikes a chord, KC;)

People know I love cats and always have so you can probably imagine how many cat ornaments I've been given as gifts over my lifetime. Some are hideous but as they were from children I kept them, even had them on display at times, but for the most part they've lived in the attic (the ornaments not the children:rotfl:)

When we had some extra insulation put in the loft I 'found' all these boxes and was amazed at how many cats there were:eek:. A lot went to charity shops and I sold some at car boot sales. I still have plenty that I can't decide what to do with mainly because of sentimental attachment to the giver or the memories they evoke. I doubt they'll ever go on display and be seen so, like you, I have to do something about them. My practice of storing things out of sight in boxes is something I'm making a real effort to remedy;)
  • Karmacat
    I can absolutely imagine your situation, CBC :p

In fact, I have to be careful I don't do the same thing to my niece, who loves rabbits in the same way. At least nowadays there are mugs, nice mugs, mousemats and whatnot, vaguely useful things.

I don't have anything in the loft here, except the extra insulation I brought with me. Nothing is going up there, not even cases, or Christmas deccies, I just can't bear the thought of it.

The Kon Mari thread is helpful about this - we pay for space when we buy our houses, and especially here in the south east, thats a *lot* of money - but if it's not available to you because you're storing so much stuff, you're really losing out both ways.

Right, I can feel myself wanting to re-check websites to avoid getting off the computer and doing actual, "work", y'know, so I'm going to open the post Right Now :D
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    CBC, perhaps you could take photos of those that you don't like enough to have on display but which have sentimental value/guilt attached to them? Then you won't forget their existence (if you look through the photos every now and then), but they could be given away/sold (surely these sorts of things go well at boot sales - the couple of cat bits I had went well at mine last month!) and not clutter up your house/mind?
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix wrote: »
    CBC, perhaps you could take photos of those that you don't like enough to have on display but which have sentimental value/guilt attached to them? Then you won't forget their existence (if you look through the photos every now and then), but they could be given away/sold (surely these sorts of things go well at boot sales - the couple of cat bits I had went well at mine last month!) and not clutter up your house/mind?

Thank you, that's a really good idea:T

I've sold a lot of them at car boot sales in the past. I agree, cat-related things sell really well:j. It's just the ones that I feel bad about letting go that I have left now. I'm always guilt-ridden about something or another:o. I think I'll give your photo idea a go:beer:
  • Karmacat
    Photos and scans have been so important to me in enabling me to let things go - and I've never, ever had a thing of "ooh, I wish I still had that". I gave a hand-knitted (by me) jumper to a friend on here, and when I look at the photo of it, I think, I'm so proud of what I knitted, but I could never have worn it, the wool was so rough on my skin, even through a blouse. And giving it, as opposed to selling it, was the only way I could cope with letting go; I'm still happy I did that.

Opening the post, btw, has revealed what I expected - a cc statement to be paid, annual statements to file, pre-filled in forms from barclaycard that I'll have to shred, and one personal note, which is rare but nice :)
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Karmacat wrote: »
    and one personal note, which is rare but nice :)

Was worth opening then! ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Definitely :D

Just had a long catchup call wiv bruv, and then I'm sorting recipes on the computer, mixing and matching with evacuee letters, cleaned the inside of the kitchen window, plus I'm trying to get my washing dry. Its only 1.30, and its been out on the line twice and I've brought it in twice :rotfl: I might just give in and put the heating on for 20 mins :eek::rotfl:

Rainclouds really are an item du jour :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family