Back Date Jobseekers

I had to finish my job end of November and think I may of been entitled to jobseekers allowance, will they back date benefit from the date I finished my job end of November or just from the first date I enquire about it?

I moved to a new area after I finished my job and havent really been able to go into the jobcentre.

Any help appreciated.
99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
Touch my bum :money:
Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
SAVED =£0
Debts - £2850

Comments

• robredz
    robredz Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    I think it is dated from the date of application, and not earlier. Someone else may know more than me.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    You can apply for it to be backdated when you sign on but whether or not it is allowed depends on your reason and the adjudication process will delay when you first start getting money from them.
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. Think I will give it a go in the hope they will back date, a month is along time to go without any income my side.

Never had todo this before, can you apply over the phone/net or does it have to be down the jobcentre.

Anything you recommend I should take down if it has tobeface toface.
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Marker wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Think I will give it a go in the hope they will back date, a month is along time to go without any income my side.

Never had todo this before, can you apply over the phone/net or does it have to be down the jobcentre.

Anything you recommend I should take down if it has tobeface toface.

The following link gives details about JSA and tells you how to claim :

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/Dev_015272.xml.html
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    They will only backdate claims if you can show that you had good reason not to claim, and that you were actively seeking work for the relevant period. Not really being able to go to the JCP is not good reason for not applying earlier.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • You would have to be able to prove that you were actively seeking work during this time, if not they just decline to backdate the claim.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    You would have to be able to prove that you were actively seeking work during this time, if not they just decline to backdate the claim.

Did I not write that twenty minutes ago? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    They will only backdate claims if you can show that you had good reason not to claim, and that you were actively seeking work for the relevant period. Not really being able to go to the JCP is not good reason for not applying earlier.

Sick child, no car, new to area - is that good enough? I can prove that I have been actively seeking a job for the last 6 months ... although for 1 week in December I had tocancel afew interviews as my husband was awa so couldnt look after the child whilst I went.
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • dmg24 wrote: »
    Did I not write that twenty minutes ago? :confused:

Sorry i only read the first part of your post, and assumed you were saying, you had to have a reason to back date the claim.

Plus i've got the flu so cut me some slack hehe;)
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Marker :confused: i thought you had a husband who works in the forces surely you have his wages to live on :confused:
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family