The UK's cheapest dozen red roses for valentine's day.

Comments

• drdisco
    drdisco Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Seeing as a couple of people have said they don't like flowers because they die, wilt, fade etc... you may be interested in Candy Bouquets. They're a great idea I came across lately which makes gorgeous floral-type bouquets containing gourmet sweets and chocolates.

It's not as cheap as 'dodgy' supermarket roses, but it's really unusual, will be a great surprise and WILL last (if you can manage not to eat them all).

You can visit their site and order at www.candyb.co.uk, but you must order by Midnight on the 11th February to guarantee Valentine's Day delivery.
  • panlane
    panlane Posts: 41 Forumite
    victoriav wrote: »
    Originally Posted by FumingMad viewpost.gif

Saving money doesnt mean you have to hide your moral compass under the blanket of denial.

What a brilliant quote! :beer: I like this, I now need to remember it, to use in an appropriate situation.:rotfl:

Also, I agree with you.

Great for those that prefer their metaphors mixed.

Can we not have the tired old debate about the morality of supermarket shopping? Asda's done a pretty good job allowing me to eat, and by extension live, at prices I can afford so some market-warrior banging on about evil actions (either mine or Asda's) just endears me further to the supermarket and less to that person's cause. The debate just entrenches positions, it doesn't change them.

Thanks for drawing our attention to this deal but I think something a little less conventional says I love you better. But then I'm a guy so I've never been showered in roses and can't quote as to the effect. Roses are great but I'd go for them at another time of the year when surprise is easier to come by. A simple idea that always works is to hide a little note professing your love in one of their shoes or in a drawer. Somewhere obvious but not blindingly so. Remember, don't wait till Valentine's to declare it, else you may never get the chance.
  • I think that there's a serious case of smug polluting this entirely frivolous event.:eek:

FairTrade is a lovely idea, but the premium paid does not reflect proportionately what is paid to any farm workers, & FairTrade spends most of its income purely promoting itself!

Globalisation means the globalisation of poverty. Now resources in the West have been used & debt stretched to the limit, your happy banker will float off to create wealth via debt (Money=Debt as it's fiat money backed by no asset) in the east & 3rd world, so that they can earn interest for doing nothing off new mugs in our crazy capitalist system of perpetual growth. They support vehicles like FT to create stable conditions in which to operate themselves.

Worldwide greater skills, & greater choice lead to cheap substitution of labour, & greater supply, which drives worldwide wages down in the west. As long as you realise you're waving goodbye to your &your children's prosperity by buying overpriced flowers & coffee...

In short I'm getting cheap roses while the goings good!
    :rotfl:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Please consider buying fairly traded flowers.

The flower trade in Colombia et al is of the worst sweatshop conditions, vile chmical poisioning, shocking labour rights, horrendously low pay and terrible conditions for workers. My dad works in non-fairtrade sales, and it is horrendous. Really.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2001/aug/29/guardiansocietysupplement5
    buy a plant, or buy British/ European where the labour laws are decent enough ( ish) and there are minimum wage legislation in place.

Id be tempted towards fairtrade from wiatrose or similar.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • zeryx
    zeryx Posts: 64 Forumite
    Please everyone ... be grateful you get something - mine claims it's nothing but a celebration of the murder of a saint and refuses to acknowledge anything - I've never had anything (not that he does much the rest of the year either) ... not so much as a valentine card ... I hate 14th 'cos I feel so left out seeing people at work having beautiful flowers, cuddly toys and balloons delivered :(

Wish I had someone that thought enough of me to make me feel that bit special.
    Nice to save.
  • i would be glad of a bunch of roses!last year i got nowt and the year before my lovely boyfriend got me a cake from greggs!!!
  • Sami_Bee
    Sami_Bee Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    zeryx and angel shopper its the thought that counts if you really want some grandiose gift nick his card and send it yourself

(disclaimer don't actually commit credit card fraud its a crime and this is a joke :p)
    The very best is sometimes what nature gives us for free.
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I think Sami is right, as always!
  • hi guys
    i was trying to find something different and stumbled across this for £2.99 it is a great gift, it arrived today and looks good! better than flowers that die after a week or so!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200197920087

they even personalised it, and it still arrive next day.... looks like i spent more than £2.99! hehe he'll never know! :A
  • James_N
    James_N Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I do not know if these wil be available for Valentines Day but a recent Co-op members brochure advertised sustainably sourced foliage and flowers from S Africa at less than £20.

This may meet some ethical and environmental objections.

If I can find the info I wil post it.
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
  • maybe some people wouldn't find it so traditional, but i think a plant is more romantic on valentines day than a cut flower...
    a plant will keep on growing whereas a flower will eventually die...
    it's more symbolic somehow... ;)

... and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure