02 Retentions thread 2

Comments

• diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    could a mod merge this with the main o2 retention
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    oscarip wrote: »
    My wife has just rang O2 Carphonewarehouse customer services. She told them she wanted to change from monthly contract to PAYG. In return, they offered her 200 mins + 200 txts for £30 a mth but pay absolutely nothing (not cashback deal) for the first 10 mths. Hence she will only pay £60 for the whole year !!

I'm a bit concern whether this is true or not? is anyone get something similar recently?

Please read some of the other recent threads about CPW retentions, they cannot be trusted. You must make sure that before you accept the deal you have the full terms and conditions including all the cashback details in writing. If they will not confirm full details in writing with nothing to misunderstand then leave them well alone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • intranix wrote: »
    Here's a quick break down of the N95 and N82

Size: N95 8GB is chunkiest, several mm's added on to make way for bigger battery. N82 is slimmest and smallest

Screen: N95 8GB screen is 2.4", a little bigger than the normal N95, and bigger than the N82s. The screen resolution is the same though, 240x320 pixels.

Battery life: N95 8GB comes with a juicier battery, and software enhancments to give 50% longer use than a normal N95. Normal N95 can be improved by a firmware update, but still is poor. N82 is pretty decent.

Software: There is little difference between the 3, The old N95 can be refeshed with some updates.

They all feature GPS, WIFI, etc

N95 lacks system memory which can be very annoying when using it to run apps. The N95 8GB and N82 have 128MB system memory and shoudl be enough for anyone.

N95 8GB lacks a memory card slot; you must hook up to PC via usb or bluetooth or infra red to get your files off, and even USB transfer is slow on this phone. Old N95 and N82 have a card slot - up to 32GB is possible.

Camera: they all feature the same optics, the N95 8GB lacks a lense cover which is a real shame.

Overall - I am wiating for the N82 personally. I was keen on the N95 8GB but the lack of lense cover or expandable memory is a real shame as I know I will fill 8GB relatively easily with music and video.

What I would liek though, is the N95-2 - available in the USA, which is a mix of the N95 and N95 8GB, better battery, card slot, better software, bigger screen.

Good summary, but there are a few changes - the Black N95 has a 2.8" screen, the N82 2.4" and original N95 2.6". The N82 also has a proper Xenon Flash.

Great deals from O2 should be available now... as the new version comes out on 14th Jan as posted here.

With O2 retentions, they seem to give you the discount on your tariff as credit - so first few months you pay nothing, and for the last few months you pay the original tariff cost. How long into the contract do you need to be before you can change tariff?
  • Jennikay
    Jennikay Posts: 258 Forumite
    I phoned O2 this morning to request my PAC to transfer my number to Orange (I am on PAYG) and they gave me £5 credit for free. :D

(Though they have messed me around alot for the past month, so that may be part of it.)
  • petey
    petey Posts: 21 Forumite
    as a lot of you must be having similar difficulties when you ring up o2 retentions and they quote you a price/tariff etc etc you'll probably find that if in the end if it's not what you're looking for you end up ending the call and the retentions agent writing notes on the system about what has been offered..

the problem with this is that usually they'll say something like 'oh you won't get a better offer than this elsewhere.. and i'll write on the system what's been on offer'

the thing is when those notes have been put onto the system doesn't that affect your bargaining position when you try to call up again say straight after or a day later and speak to someone else?

the next agent will see previous notes about what has been offered so i don't see how you'd be able to get a better deal each time if you phone up numerous times etc.. unless of course each of them is working on individual commission so thereby you have some leeway in negotiation by them ignoring what was previously on offer. they say every day there is a 'new' offer. do you think it's possibly to get the new n95-8gb free without a tariff change and also get discounted line rental for a year on 12 month contract? the phone is soon to be released so is going to be very pricey..
  • plonky_2
    plonky_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    baggyburns wrote: »
    z80,

Was on 12 month 200 mins 500 text 4mb tarriff for £30 but have taken the following off o2 retentions:

Free n82
    18 month contract
    400 mins
    1000 texts
    200mg data (o2 web bolt on)
    free 02 to 02 calls

£22.50 pm

Very Pleased with this and didn't need to haggle at all. I just said I wanted the n82 free and the guy offered the above.

What was your average monthly bill for the previous 12 months though? Also, is the 22.50 a month including the bolt-on?
    Best I could get out of them was

Free N82, 600 minutes, 1000 texts, o2 to o2 for £30 a month on 18 month contract
    My previous year's spend was about £450. It's usually a bit higher.
    I also told them I had 2 accounts to renew

I am waiting for the 2 PAC numbers but may give it a whirl one more time
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My O2 retention was rubbish- coming to the end of a 18 month contract and this was what they said-

Avg minutes used per month- 180, Avg Texts- 223, currently paying ~£30 a month

I said I wanted either a N95, N82 or K850i for free.

The only offer he would do was- 800 minutes, 1000 texts, and then costing £35 a month. He didnt seem to understand that the N95 is available on a more suitable tarriff for free on the website.

Off to Three I think for me, for a mix and match 500 for £22 a month instead.
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    baggyburns wrote: »
    z80,

Was on 12 month 200 mins 500 text 4mb tarriff for £30 but have taken the following off o2 retentions:

Free n82
    18 month contract
    400 mins
    1000 texts
    200mg data (o2 web bolt on)
    free 02 to 02 calls

£22.50 pm

Very Pleased with this and didn't need to haggle at all. I just said I wanted the n82 free and the guy offered the above.

That's what they offered me last week (I accepted) but with an K850i, for £20 on 18 month contract.
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    FlameCloud wrote: »
    My O2 retention was rubbish- coming to the end of a 18 month contract and this was what they said-

Avg minutes used per month- 180, Avg Texts- 223, currently paying ~£30 a month

I said I wanted either a N95, N82 or K850i for free.

The only offer he would do was- 800 minutes, 1000 texts, and then costing £35 a month. He didnt seem to understand that the N95 is available on a more suitable tarriff for free on the website.

Off to Three I think for me, for a mix and match 500 for £22 a month instead.

Did you speak to retentions or to the 'front line' customer services peeps?
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • I went for a cash back deal last august with themobileoutlet.co.uk I'm on a high tariff, but can't get any cash back off them, so be warned everybody, don't do a deal with this company. they sign you up for a deal ,and don't honour it. I've emailed them so many times i'm sick of it and phoned, just to be put through to a call centre. Let me tell you all again its themobileoutlet.co.uk It's a con
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure