Money Moral Dilemma: Should we go back and pay for our meal?

Comments

• Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Why do people make such a meal of these things....offer if you want to, don't if you don't want to. No need to chew it over in public like this.
  • rawhammered
    rawhammered Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post
    No, duck those guys.:money:
  • I'd just repeat custom in future. I think they would just have wanted to get to the vets with time really of the essence.

Our general manager comp'd an entire stay at the weekend when a couple were allocated a twin instead of double room.

As an Early Receptionist today I thought someone nearly walked without paying (and I'd be footing like £174, the panic for a good couple of hours I had) but we've always a fall back it turns out when it comes to pre-auth so we could charge them and after all the bother the guest returned my message. (So in your case if they wanted to charge they would).
  • You appear to have missed the entire point of this page! It’s supposed to be a fun debate. I’m not sure this is advice they genuinely need!
  • It’s supposed to be a fun debate

Fundebates are GO!

Sorry I’ll get me coat before Sajid Javed erm I mean The Hood locks me up.
  • --Tony--
    --Tony-- Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'd send them a bill for the cost of having to go elsewhere to get a replacement meal.
  • This is a very clever puzzle as it makes you focus on the poor dog. In fact if the restaurant had been described as having to close quickly because of something inanimate, e.g., could have been a fire in the kitchen, bust boiler etc., then it would be easier and without emotion to decide whether or not you would pay them back for the free meal. I think that whatever the emergency was, the owner should be repaid . He did a very generous thing.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    If you eat there regularly and enjoy the facility I think you should pop in, enquire after the dog and offer them a cheque for the estimated cost of the meal.

There will be a lot of people who will have enjoyed the free meal but if you are decent people of conscience, they will remember your gesture and appreciate it.
  • I have a dog. Putting myself in their position at that time, they worried more about their dog than the money and wanted to save their much loved family pet. Nothing else mattered at that time. Hence the offer free meals so they could speedily get the dog to the vet for treatment.

After is a different story. Reality sets in.... vet Bill's to pay, staff to pay, food and drinks expenses and cleaning. Nothing is free for them and as far as you know they could have already been struggling like many local businesses are.

I would love if people were conscientious enough to not just take it as a free ride, specially if the meal and drinks and more or less finished. I would pay proportionately what I thought I owed all things considered and I would enquire about the wellbeing of the dog.

What would you do if it was the other way round?
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Don't you think they have had enough expense with the vet fees?

They probably had Pet Insurance.

They chose to kick everyone out, and doesn't sound like they even let people finish their meal.

So - no, I wouldn't pay them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport