Avg. Reward Per Hour : £5.46/hr
    Reward Per Hour estimated by researcher: £5.00/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 25mins
    Reward: £ 1.00
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would say prolific can't do a thing to safe guard against abuse of that sort, studies are hosted on outside platforms so the collected data isn't under prolifics control.

I'm not sure I agree with that. As the platform through which we get paid, and they delegate who takes their surveys - I think they have a fair amount of responsibility for our data, under the Data Protection Act, and probably other ecommerce legislation.

It is a contract...they pay us to provide our answers. Therefore, if they do not accept our answers, they cannot use our answers.

Else, what would be stopping someone after, say, 1000 responses....Pay for 600 - reject 400 after completion...then getting a further 400 answers....(theyd have 1000 total) and effectively get 40% off? (exaggeration for dramatic effect)
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • GreyAndGold
    GreyAndGold Posts: 738 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Prolific are responsible for our personal data yes, which they protect by only providing researchers with anonymous prolific ID's, not any personally identifiable information, but the academic data we provide by completing a researchers study doesn't enter prolifics servers.
  • mikep22
    Options
    Prolific are responsible for are personal data yes, which they protect by only providing researchers with anonymous prolific ID's, not any personally identifiable information, but the academic data we provide by completing a researchers study doesn't enter prolifics servers.

Nah, else people would just do what I described earlier. It being on a server does not mean it is not covered by the DPA or ecommerce regs. We have a right to know what happens to our data if it is rejected....
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
  • GreyAndGold
    GreyAndGold Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    There was one that was doing just that, rejected every one who did their multiple studies, people were complaining here, on facebook, reddit, who knows where else, the researcher got banned in the end. Before they tinkered with the website this was covered in the in the FAQ which basically said generally researchers are on the whole ethical people and therefore are generally trustworthy. You are right that you have the right to know what happens to your data but you're asking the wrong people as the data you are referring to hasn't been given to prolific its been given to the researcher. Prolific is basically no different to a dating website, it just matches up compatible people, but it can't dictate what happens when you meet up with a matching person in the pub.
  • mikep22
    Options
    There was one that was doing just that, rejected every one who did their multiple studies, people were complaining here, on facebook, reddit, who knows where else, the researcher got banned in the end. Before they tinkered with the website this was covered in the in the FAQ which basically said generally researchers are on the whole ethical people and therefore are generally trustworthy. You are right that you have the right to know what happens to your data but you're asking the wrong people as the data you are referring to hasn't been given to prolific its been given to the researcher. Prolific is basically no different to a dating website, it just matches up compatible people, but it can't dictate what happens when you meet up with a matching person in the pub.

Lol, I have learnt that life is easier when you trust yourself and nobody else.

Maybe that is a new concept?

Marge - 30 from Milton Keynes
    Date Times available: 4/15
    Potential date cost: £15
    Max Time: 120mins
    Ave Time: 60
    Chance of coffee: 2/10
  • allison445
    allison445 Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sound synthesis comparison: Synthesizer A.I. vs Designer
    Available Places : 18/100
    Avg. Completion Time : 3mins
    Estimated Completion Time by researcher: 2mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £3.40/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 5mins
    Reward: £ 0.17
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 2,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Detecting irregularities in rhythmic sounds
    Hosted by : Benedikt Zoefel
    Reward : £ 6.00
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £8.79/hr
    Available Places : 4/65
    Maximum Allowed Time : 60mins
    Avg. Completion Time : 41mins
  • mikep22
    Options
    allison445 wrote: »
    Sound synthesis comparison: Synthesizer A.I. vs Designer
    Available Places : 18/100
    Avg. Completion Time : 3mins
    Estimated Completion Time by researcher: 2mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £3.40/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 5mins
    Reward: £ 0.17

I had this but got an error :(
  • allison445
    allison445 Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikep22 wrote: »
    I had this but got an error :(

Same happened to me I had to change the settings in my volume playback options to get it to work wasn't really worth the effort for 17p :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback