PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sugar soap!!! just discovered how fab it is!

Options
thisuseridistakenagain
thisuseridistakenagain Posts: 740 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 9 June 2015 at 4:25PM in Old style MoneySaving
Sugar soap which you can get from any decorating shop or hardware store,
(although i cant say i've seen it in wilkinsons) usually used for washing down walls before papering.

Anyway, I had half a box left after papering (cost about a pound for a big box) I was looking for what to do with it. Its actually really good at removing paint splashes from doors etc, we had gloss paint splodges on our wooden doors and it came off just with a rub and a cloth. Saved buying paint and the time to paint all the doors. really worked a treat.

Can also be used for cleaning sinks etc, and as its sugary in texture does a good scouring job. I put it down the loo and got rid of limescale overnight too.

Quite impressed with it!! Thought id share my findings,:o hope im in the right place.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
It only takes a second to say 'Thanks, you just saved me a few quid!'

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge June
Toiletries used up- 4 Makeup used up- 2

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, it's great isn't it :D :T

I've used it for cleaning and I think ticklemouse is another OS'er who's put it to good use around the home.

I'm sure there are a lot of our fellow OS'ers who will benefit from your post :T :T :T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Interesting to know it gets rid of limescale - I never knew that so thanks for the info!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Icemaiden
    Options
    Good for cleaning raidiators and skirting boards that have marks on from been knocked against and the stubbon ground in stains in the bath.:rolleyes: I also use it to clean the outside of our wooden front door and the outside wooden window frames (yes I know i have too much time on my hands);)
    Rebel No 22
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    *Adds sugarsoap to shopping list* :D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    Options
    nicki wrote:
    *Adds sugarsoap to shopping list* :D

ditto

thanks for the tips
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• QuidsInn_2
    Options
    Is sugar soap a block of stuff like a bar of soap, or a liquid? I have heard of it, but never seen it or tried it. Sounds like a useful addition to cleaning cupboard, with vinegar, bicarb and stardrops!
  • sambo31
    sambo31 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    As a a smoker i find it fantastic for cleaning my ceiling fan including (glass) shades with the shades i leave them to soak in a sink for 10 mins and they come up a treat and with the fans itself i use a solution of sugar soap on a cloth to simply wipe away the smoke stains.

Also the best thing i have used so far to get my floor clean.

Goes off to put reminder for sugar soap on next shopping list.

Quidsin: it comes in a white powder form and can be picked up from a hardware shop really cheap aswell i pay about £1 for big box of it.
  • Yeah its not related to sugar, but is called that because of its sugary grainy consistency. Wear gloves though, it got under my nails and is stinging!!
    It only takes a second to say 'Thanks, you just saved me a few quid!'

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries Challenge June
    Toiletries used up- 4 Makeup used up- 2
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    QuidsInn wrote:
    Is sugar soap a block of stuff like a bar of soap, or a liquid? I have heard of it, but never seen it or tried it. Sounds like a useful addition to cleaning cupboard, with vinegar, bicarb and stardrops!

It normally comes as a powder in a packet, though it is available made up already in squirty bottles if you think you won't need much, or just want to try it out.

It's available from DIY places such as local hardware stores or B&Q.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MUSTBEFUNNY_2
    Options
    I've been having an "Old Stlye" Spring clean, what with the sun being out I could suddenly see all the dirt and dust.:eek: My walls were looking less than wonderful and I thought I'd wipe them down with Sugar soap before repainting them ....but after wiping them down with this magic soap they looked like new and I've saved myself all that time and money on repainting:money: Don't forget to don Marigolds though;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure