Orange Price changes ?

Options
Hi

I got a text from Orange saying that from 14 Sep they are changing the cost of mobile internet browsing and some calls not included in my plan, it included a web address that didnt work

I have emailed Orange but wondered what everyone else made of this text

I am on Dolphin 30 400 minutes and unlimited texts and my contract runs out in April

Thanks

Comments

• themightystu
    Options
    I got this text today too, it seems the web address only works from the phone its self...

My question is does this price increase mean that we can cancel our orange contract without penalty?
  • BristolBoy23
    Options
    I got this text today too, it seems the web address only works from the phone its self...

My question is does this price increase mean that we can cancel our orange contract without penalty?

This is exactly what i'd like to know too.

I recieved this text this afternoon and used the web address stated at the end of the message and it mentions that there will be a change to internet browsing costs but also....if you now go outside your minutes (allowence) you will now be charged 14.7p min. for all calls made to mobiles, fixed lines and get this your Answer Phone too!!!!!! Shocking.

I think this is day light robbery and would love to know my rights as to whether i have grounds to cancel my contract.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I haven't seen the text but if they're saying its changes to 'calls not included in you plan', it would look like it not a reason to cancel as they're not materially changing your contract...
    But with out more info it's not clear. . .
    4810510 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    From Orange terms and conditions effective 1 June 2007

"Terminating your Contract because Orange has changed its terms

4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes). However this option does not apply if:

4.3.1 we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period;"

Taken from http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/#4
    All T&Cs http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/

I would say that this does entitle you to cancel. Note though you need to give 14 days notice and within one month of notice of the changes. As I read it this doesn't mean one month of the changes happening so don't wait until September.
  • themightystu
    Options
    Update:

I’ve just got off the phone with orange customer services regarding this. The representative I spoke to was very helpful and after being initially un-sure about the changes due to just returning to work he confirmed that this is grounds for termination of contract. Within 2 minutes he was able to terminate my contract and credit the necessary funds to the account such that there will be no additional charges for the remaining 7 or so months of my contract.

Apparently my phone will stop working tomorrow!
  • BristolBoy23
    Options
    Update:

I’ve just got off the phone with orange customer services regarding this. The representative I spoke to was very helpful and after being initially un-sure about the changes due to just returning to work he confirmed that this is grounds for termination of contract. Within 2 minutes he was able to terminate my contract and credit the necessary funds to the account such that there will be no additional charges for the remaining 7 or so months of my contract.

Apparently my phone will stop working tomorrow!

Wow thats pretty rapid! Thanks for the update, i will try this out at lunch. I hadnt done it yet due to stil being unsure on the grounds.

Do you still get to keep your number if you cancel your contract?

who are you switching too?

Thanks
  • gingeral
    gingeral Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 11:53AM
    Options
    fantastic!!!
    I had a real problem with orange, got an upgrade to a 5800 (didn't) come with music, and i lost the £15 discount i was getting, been a loyal customer but i didn't want a £35 contract for a flaky phone anymore, so, got fully disconnected in about ten minutes.. here's a bit more info :-)

called 150, went through to disconnects, the guy told me that the termination is only valid based on the call charges, not the data so you need to specify the call charge alteration (as stated by the guy up there), he went and checked and then got me out of paying £410 to buy out and I get to keep the phone (£150 on ebay..) sweet.

I feel so liberated :rotfl:

Goodbye Orange and good riddance

Oh, you get to keep your number, I'm getting a PUK code in the post apparently, once its been used the sim will deactivate and the contract will be cancelled.

If you want to stay with Orange (errr..) then you need to get a PAYG with someone else and then aplpy for a PUK with them and then transfer back! bit of faff
  • thedalmeny
    thedalmeny Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    They won't let me cancel my wifes contract with orange until the 1st of september (ie: when the charges are due to take affect) - Then they said i can without terminator fee or cancelation fee..

Anyway i can argue that as you guys seems to be able to now...
  • NMB
    NMB Posts: 157 Forumite
    edited 22 July 2009 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Having just spoken to Orange, they have agreed that I can cancel but not until the date when the changes come into effect.
  • thedalmeny
    thedalmeny Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Ah is ok – i rang back again and spoke to someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

All cancelled for free.

See this is a testament to Orange – i’m having to take T-Mobile to CISAS over a similar dispute.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure