Council tax overpaying?

Hey, Im moving house so I was checking council tax bands to see how much more I would be paying. So my current house is band a, new house is band c, when I did my calculations I realised I'm already paying band c even though my property shows up as band a. Have I been paying too much? Has anyone had the same issue?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,523
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What have the council said?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Kaydiff
    Kaydiff Posts: 5 Forumite
    I haven't checked yet as I've only just found this out. Plus I don't want to cause an issue for my neighbours if they aren't paying enough?
  • elsien
    Forumite
    You're going to have to tell them if you want it sorting.
    What band does your current bill say?
    It may not affect your neighbours, it could just be a mistake on your bill.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Kaydiff
    Yes I know and I will, just wanted to make sure I am right about paying to much. Where do I find where it says my band on my bill? (my bills are all online and not sent to me)
  • Kaydiff
    I got it, it's says a! But it's a different amount to what it says band a is online?
  • elsien
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2019 at 10:48PM
    you can double check on here what it should be:

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/council-tax/council-tax-calculator-2018-ag9ch3j076bw

But if you're being overcharged then your next step has to be to check with the council to see if its a clerical error and someone's just hit the wrong button.

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,672
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Kaydiff wrote: »
    Yes I know and I will, just wanted to make sure I am right about paying to much. Where do I find where it says my band on my bill? (my bills are all online and not sent to me)

You can check which band your property is in online here
    https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

Your local council website will show the actual charge associated with that band (if you are living by yourself, multiply by 0.75 to take account of the single person discount).
  • Kaydiff
    Thank you @elsien for being so helpful! Turns out where I live I'm being charged the right amount 🙈 god damn lol. Exactly what I wanted the advice for. Thank you again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure