PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Sunflower1227
    Sunflower1227 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Hi everyone :j

Hope you are all feeling well, I am feeling alot better after having the flu, which was good for NSDs and using up all kind of leftovers lol.

Sent OH to mr A this afternoon (knew I shouldnt) for bread & milk only, as I had started on online shop, he came back with crisps, buscuits, cooked meat & custard! etc he spent £10.36, never mind he though he was helping out.

Online shop booked for 2morrow afternoon so will update signature after it arrives, lot more than I would normally spend at this time of the year but needs must I have not shopped properly since before Christmas.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • Had a day of using up some out of date stuff. One jelly, 2 packets of angel delight, one packet of sosmix and one pack of pasta in sauce.
    Actually well enough to start eating my Chrismas choccies!!! What a pleasure!
    Dough in the breadmaker-now off to turn it into a loaf in the oven.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    DS is drinking the blackcurrent squash as if it was going out of fashion. So when I put petrol in the car I picked up one at £1.11!eek. But then if I had gone in the store I would have picked up other things I may want then I need.!
    Trying to remember to enter my spends on the spread sheet before I forget. Lets hope it works in keeping me focused. Money is going out a lot faster then it is coming in, and my comfort buffer/emergency funds are now depleat.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.

• Evening All!!

Wow this threads getting so big just caught up on all of todays!

Just an ikkle shop for me today from A**a

Small Wholemeal Loaf 75p
    Porridge Oats 62p
    50 Green Teabags £1.26

Grand total £2.63

Have a good evening all x:)
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • Pipkin71 - thanks for the biscuit recipe, will try and start making biccies and cakes for packed lunches.

I love on line shopping, esp A$da, as you can type in an item, ie butter and then list everything from cheapest to most expensive, I find it saves trawling through pages and pages, you can't do this with Mr T or Mr S. Also Mr S won't price match, if you order cheap peas and they only have luxury ones they charge you the higher price whereas the other 2 don't.

I am so envious of you all doing a shop for approx £30 - £50, mine is at £86 already! Will tweak it in time for weekend delivery, we are living out of the freezer/cupboards at the mo, kids not impressed though! but no money until the weekend!

Keep up the good work everyone, I just keep thinking of booking my summer holiday and we will only do this if I cut back on groceries.

Love the cheap bubble bath idea for liquid handwash, will try that as they are soooo expensive.
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
    #14 - PAYDTBX23
    #23 - 1% debt challenge
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just totted up last month & updated my signature, not too bad but I evidently need to keep at it! So please could you put me down for £160 again, for January .

Still got quite a bit of meat in the freezer but no fruit, no salad and not much fresh veg. Have planned meals for this week & next using what we've got so hopefully can hit target this time & start thinking about reducing it a bit more. Fingers crossed!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Love the cheap bubble bath idea for liquid handwash, will try that as they are soooo expensive.

Some posters on the OS board water down the bubble bath, which would make it go further, but I just fill them up as is.

I assume that it's fine to water down though :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Welsh cake recipe

8oz self raising flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    4oz butter
    3oz sugar
    3oz currants
    1 large egg and a little milk
    good pinch of mixed spice or nutmeg

rub fat in to flour, baking powder and spice
    add sugar and currants, bind with beaten egg and milk to a stiffish paste. roll out 1/4 inch thick then cut in to 2.5 inch rounds and bake on a greased griddle, 3-5 minutes each side until mottled with golden brown sprinkle with sugar and eat while warm.
  • OH just brought home 6 large oranges from work, he always gets them every year as a good luck present from people he works with in Israel. So I am going to make marmalade at the weekend with them. :j
  • david69_2
    david69_2 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Well i went to mr al today and got 4 bags of shopping for £17.00 which will see me through to weekend.
    Also went to butchers nextdoor and had a look at their door (doubleglazing repairer) got some free meat in exchange and more to come
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure