PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• Hi fellow LFHWrs,

Re Sunday, the lo bolognese didn’t get eaten as a snack:) I finished off the last of the spaghetti & stretched the bolognese out to make dinner. So Sunday’s planned dinner was held over to tonight - chilli con carne (from the freezer) with rice & tortilla chips from the store cupboard. Tomorrow’s dinner is out of the freezer & defrosting in the fridge - Sausage Casserole to be served with rice (we have lots as DH bought a sack of it:o - he loves rice but I prefer mash :rotfl:)

The freezer is emptying nicely & we haven’t done ANY food shopping since Saturday the 3rd :j ATM I CBA to cook from scratch so am emptying the freezer. (It also means I am getting freezer boxes emptied & washed for the next lot of batch cooking after I have defrosted the freezer:) )

I haven’t done the Ready, Steady Cook challenge for a few weeks, so I need to do that this week :o

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 March 2018 at 10:38AM
    Good Morning chums only lunch to do today as I am still full from yesterdays food at the funeral I went to.
    A cuppa will more than do me for breakfast this morning.I have a U3A coffee morning at 10.30 so I will probably have a hot chocolate there as I get two hot drinks per month with my Dobbies loyalty card, and our coffee morning are held there.

Tonight I will be at our pub quiz where I get fed so lunch will be I think some crackers with the last bit of herby soft cheese and sliced tomato and cucumber on top with probably a diced apple for afterwards.

Down to three oranges and two apples in the fruit bowl so as I am not shopping until Thursday they will be eked out over the next couple of days. Veg wise I have about a quarter of a head of broccoli and a sweetheart cabbage wrapped in my fridge plus lettuce,cucumber and around 4 tomatoes,and half a long pointed sweet pepper, so I have more than enough to keep me going Still have enough potatoes as well

Tomorrow night I think I will have a HM chicken curry from the freezer with some rice and a bit of naan bread also from the freezer.I am determined to use up my freezer stuff as much as possible ,but I have been out so much over the past week or two that there has not been a great deal of emptying going on :)

Still as yet I have not been to the shops for any food shopping this month yet so Thursdays bill may be a little bit higher. I estimate around £20.00 with luck looking at the stuff on my list but that should do me for a good week to ten days once I have got everything needed. I am away on holiday in April for almost a week so I shan't need to be buying a great deal this month anyway.

The food purse is doing well and any left over cash from my monthly budget of £60.00 goes into the holiday fund for our two week holiday in August.January and February 's food bill was pretty low as I am shopping from my cupboards when I can. :):):)

Well done everyone on sticking to using up what you can and being inventive in your recipes Its great to see how well people have taken to LFHW over the past year as when I first posted I never thought it would still be going a year later :j:j:j:A:A:A:A Even though the first thread was deleted we have carried on regardless with part two :):):)

Cheers chums JackieO xxx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JackieO wrote: »
    My DGS Danny in NYC told me this afternoon they are forecast another nor'easter there later this week, and we normally get their weather a couple of days later so its a possibility I guess YorksLass. batten down the hatches chums ,and don't put the boots away just yet JackieO xx

Seems Dave King was right - the Met Office has confirmed colder, wetter, windy weather with sleet on Friday and light snow on Saturday for where I am, with yellow warnings too. :mad: Boots, gloves, scarf, hat, long padded coat (aka Michelin Man costume) don't get put away until much later in the year. :D I'll shop locally tomorrow for milk and F&V so I can watch the white stuff from inside. :):)

Hope you're feeling better now VJsmum, that pesky MSG has a lot to answer for. It must make life so difficult and, being a lover of Chinese/Thai foods, I'm so thankful I don't have any food allergies.

Today I've tried the Milky Boiled Fruit Cake recipe using up a tin of condensed milk that's definitely outstayed its welcome (bbe Mar 2016 :o ). The recipe called for dried mixed fruit that I didn't have (don't care much for the candied peel) so I used half + half sultanas and raisins, plus the last few glace cherries and dried apricots. And probably double the quantity of mixed spice. :D It's a somewhat denser texture than I was expecting but it tastes fine and at least the fruit is well distributed instead of settling at the bottom. ;)

My pantry "shop" is looking much tidier these days, although I did add to it yesterday by buying two jars of Kung Po sauce that the Co-op were selling for 50p each (down from £1.99 each) with a bbe date of Aug 2018. That's not a problem as they'll get used up long before that. :D I'm guessing they won't be stocking it again and needed the shelf space.

Also splashed out on a large joint of topside beef that I'll cook on Sunday. I'll make plenty of gravy so I can slice and freeze several portions for "some other time". :) And I now have a Sharpie pen to use as a weapon against freezer UFOs. :rotfl:
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Wouldn't be without my Sharpie pens. Been using them for several years now. They also last a long time which is a bonus!

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    Will be food shopping tomorrow for the first food shop this month, I have a list of what I need and shall stick to it as much as I can.

Forecast is indeed getting chillier again this weekend .Brr I cannot be cold I can do without lots of things but being cold is a no-no for me as my joints seize up and just won't work properly.

I have a stash of diced beef in the freezer that I intend to SC overnight tomorrow night and will portion it up for the freezer with cheesy mash on top for instant ready meals in take away boxes.

I also have some mixed veg that I will chuck in as well to the pot, as I know there is a bag of Y/S stuff in the freezer as well so it will bulk out the meat nicely and use up a couple of the foil packets of casserole mixes in the 'Use-it-up- to-make-more -room box on the side in the kitchen

Some of them are a bit OOD but I'm not fussy its only sauce mixes in a dehydrated powdered state so I doubt it will kill me :):):) slowly working my way through them and only have a few more to go :):):) I did have quite a stash at one time

JackieO xxx
  • Late again:o

Thursday’s dinner was from the freezer :- DH had lo bubble & squeak (from last year) + 2 fried eggs & a chunk of sm ciabatta (he enjoyed it so much he wants it every night :rotfl: shame as their was only one portion :o ), I had lo takeaway curry + 1 fried egg & a small slice of ciabatta :drool:

Friday’s dinner is already defrosting in the fridge - hm lasagne & hm peperonata. The freezer is emptying nicely & if we do have snow Saturday night I have hm soup & hm scone dough to take out of the freezer for Sunday. Not yet sure about Saturday’s menu:o

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    For the first time in ages I had to bin about a third of a loaf of bread today. I was shocked that it had gone mouldy. Then I remembered that I made it last weekend. Oops! Normally I slice it up and freeze it if it's not being used quickly but I just didn't notice the time going by this week. Lesson learned.

In the last couple of days I've been prioritising using up veg in the fridge that have been sitting around too long. I made a batch of parsnip soup, half of which I added lentils and spices to make dal and the other half I left as is. We ate most of the dal with some hm chapattis last night for tea and there's a portion left for my lunch today.

I've also whizzed up a handful of mixed leaves, a round lettuce and some broccoli with hazelnuts and lemon favoured oil to make a pesto. Half has gone in the freezer (labelled - I too am a Sharpie convert) and half in the fridge for using over the next few days.

Our milk consumption is a bit erratic depending on the cereal/toast preferences of the household so as we were long on milk I made a big batch of cheese sauce and froze it in 3 portions.

I just need to plan out the weekend's meals now. Maybe I'll put the kettle on first. ;-)
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi chums I am more than happy with what I spent and have made a big 2 litres of mushroom soup from the 25p Y/S mushrooms I snaffled yesterday That's about 7-8 portions so plenty for a few lunches and some frozen for another day. I have retrieved a nice piece of salmon fillet from the freezer and will have that for dinner tonight with some sweet chilli marinade and cheesy mash and green veg.diced grapes and greek yogurt for pud I think.

I am going to take out some stewing beef from the freezer to defrost and make a big casserole in the SC overnight as I can then portion it up for some ready made meals to freeze for next week as I have quite a busy week ahead Weekends are my cooking times as a rule so I catch up with batch cooking and baking then.

Hope everyone has a good weekend and you are all warm and dry and the forecasted snow isn't too bad

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    We ate out today and our steaks were too big so we've bought home half of each one and we'll probably have that tonight in a sandwich! I love a steak sandwich.

I definitely wasn't going to let the restaurant throw the steak away!

Denise
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    YorksLass wrote: »
    My pantry "shop" is looking much tidier these days, although I did add to it yesterday by buying two jars of Kung Po sauce that the Co-op were selling for 50p each (down from £1.99 each) with a bbe date of Aug 2018.

Trotted over to the Co-op today (to beat the arrival of the white stuff tonight/tomorrow) for a few bits and pieces for over the weekend. Oops, two more of these jars somehow found their way into my basket. :whistle: Honest, guv, I don't know how that happened!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure