Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Glad today went well :)

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • 117pauline wrote: »
    I take Vitamin B12 and D supplements which do seem to help. I noticed a huge difference after about a month of taking them.

After one beautiful bright sunny day we are now back to cold, dull and rainy. My 1p each violas have been watered, deadheaded and looking beautiful, just waiting till the weather is a bit more settled.

Is there anything nicer than sitting with a child and a book? Seeing the excitement when they find they can read. Brilliant.

I am 600 points away from payout for yougov. I have found that if you do the directors cut and the prize draw surveys, you get more ordinary ones.

Good that you are starting to feel brighter

Take care honey
    Pauline

There is something really nice about working with children generally and many of them seem to really enjoy their books :).
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Glad that volunteering went well :)
    Glad today went well :)

x

Thanks both :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Hairy, glad you’ve had a good day.

Beanie, Director’s Cut on YouGov is about your TV watching the previous day and you get Prize Draw entries rather than points, but as Pauline says, usually it leads to a ‘proper’ points survey Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hairy, glad you’ve had a good day.

Beanie, Director’s Cut on YouGov is about your TV watching the previous day and you get Prize Draw entries rather than points, but as Pauline says, usually it leads to a ‘proper’ points survey Xx

So I will look to see if I can find it.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 March 2018 at 9:41PM
    There is something really nice about working with children generally and many of them seem to really enjoy their books :).

The tragedy is that neither of my boys liked reading. All my fantasies about lovingly introducing them to my favourite books disappeared years ago.

DS1 infamously once said that all fiction was 'just a bunch of lies written down'. The only fiction book he ever liked at juniors (and read to me!) was a lovely one about 'old mrs mogs and her 26 cats' and that was because he thought I would like it. No idea why :p

Good to see you up and about!

(ETA and Amazon have it, so tempted to buy it!)
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You sound like you had a really lovely, rewarding day Hairy.
    DS1 infamously once said that all fiction was 'just a bunch of lies written down'. The only fiction book he ever liked at juniors (and read to me!) was a lovely one about 'old mrs mogs and her 26 cats' and that was because he thought I would like it. No idea why :p
    it!)

Yep - it's a complete and utter mystery why he would do that!:rotfl:
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Could be worse, my offspring have gifted me the bad mothers handbook, the p1ssed off parents club and at least one other of that ilk!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Lovely to see you more upbeat again, Hairy:j. I'm glad you enjoyed the volunteering. It's often the things that we have to make an effort to do, or maybe don't want to do at all that end up being the most enjoyable once we've actually started. I know you were only reluctant because of not feeling 100% yet but it's true in general in my experience.

I agree about how lovely it is to share a book with children:j. I used to volunteer to read twice a week with an infant class of 6 year olds a few years ago and I still chuckle when I remember one particular boy. He found reading a real struggle and seemed to be on the same very very short book for about a fortnight. The teacher wasn't going to move him on to the next in the series until he could actually 'read' the one he was on:eek:. Personally, I thought giving him a different one at the same level would motivate him more but it wasn't for me to say;). Anyway, one day when it was his turn he came bounding up to my little reading corner with the book that he'd been struggling over and taking home every night but now with a massive smile on his face. He said '' you're going to be amazed today, I can read this book without even looking at it''.:rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Love the story of the wee boy carboot :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback