PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
edited 11 September 2018 at 12:17PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi everyone

The Land Registry is here on our Forum to help answer its customers' questions. If you have a question pop it on here and it will do its best to help.

Related on MSE:

50+ House Buying Tips

Free First Time Buyers' Mortgage Booklet 2018

Remortgage Guide 2018

Ultimate Mortgage Calculator
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• vikki400
    vikki400 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I am buying a property from my mum and aunty. They inherited it from my granddad so it is still in his name but they are the executrices. Since I obviously trust them, I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of contracts and searches and I was hoping I could just change the name on the title deeds pay the Stamp Duty and give them the money.

Understandable, most solicitors are nervous of doing this, so I was going to fill in the forms myself. Is this allowed? From what I can tell I just need to fill in AP1 and the Stamp Duty form. Do I have to have a solicitor for this?

Thanks

V
  • Hi guys

I'm buying a property that has a right of way. All the deeds say is "the area marked in x is subject to a right of way" it doesn't specify who is the servient tenement of that right of way or if there are restrictions to that access (pass and repass etc). Will that all be in the neighbours property deeds or is there a chance it's a public right of way?

Also if I extend the property and the access is still granted but not as per the specified path on deeds, but the path is moved, is this possible or must a change be formally documented for the plans and be accurately reflected.

Many thanks
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    vikki400 wrote: »
    Hi

I am buying a property from my mum and aunty. They inherited it from my granddad so it is still in his name but they are the executrices. Since I obviously trust them, I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of contracts and searches and I was hoping I could just change the name on the title deeds pay the Stamp Duty and give them the money.

Understandable, most solicitors are nervous of doing this, so I was going to fill in the forms myself. Is this allowed? From what I can tell I just need to fill in AP1 and the Stamp Duty form. Do I have to have a solicitor for this?

Thanks

V

You don't need a solicitor no.

You would need to send off the AP1, transfer deed (probably a TR1), the SDLT5 (the certificate from the HMRC in relation to stamp duty), the probable document and the relevant ID form (ID1) and identity documents.

I don't know why a solicitor would be nervous about doing this. If you clearly instruct them to do it and as long as they tell you the risks then they aren't running any risk.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm buying a property that has a right of way. ...

Also if I extend the property and the access is still granted but not as per the specified path on deeds, but the path is moved, is this possible or must a change be formally documented for the plans and be accurately reflected.

If it's a public right of way then it can only be relocated by formal process involving the local council, public consultation etc. You cannot unilaterally move it just by altering the plans on the deeds.

The existance of the right of way continues in its current location even if you build over it, so legally speaking you may have people walking through your lounge. It is also an offence to obstruct a right of way.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't really understand the purpose of this thread. LR are usually quite good at monitoring the board and responding to any thread in which there is a LR issue, so why do we need a thread in which there may be many questions asked, causing confusion over which answer relates to which question, and in which LR have yet to post a response even though the thread has been running for almost 30 hours?

I'd suggest to the two people who have posted questions that they start their own threads and mention that they'd like to hear from LR, and I'd also suggest that MSE Andrea deletes this thread.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,779 Organisation Representative
    vikki400 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

V

Vikki400 - they will need to transfer it to you using form TR1. The AP1 is the application form needed.

Our guidance on transferring the ownership explains what is needed. You will also need to lodge an official copy of the probate

There is no requirement to use a solicitor but we recommend you do. They are familiar with the forms and process. They can also offer wider legal advice re wills etc
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    Hi guys

I'm buying a property that has a right of way. All the deeds say is "the area marked in x is subject to a right of way" it doesn't specify who is the servient tenement of that right of way or if there are restrictions to that access (pass and repass etc). Will that all be in the neighbours property deeds or is there a chance it's a public right of way?

Many thanks

Lurkingtoposting17 - the servient land will be that over which the right of way is reserved. If you want to check who owns that land then you can do so online or by post assuming it is registered.

We don't register public rights of way

If you change the right of way then that's fine if the serviette landowner agrees. If they do then I woukd recommend you do it formally and legally, namely by way of a legal deed. Our Practice Guide 62 explains

If you don't formalise it then it may pose problems when you or the neighbour wish to sell for example. If the properties are mortgaged you should also involve your lenders and they may insist on your using a solicitor. As such I'd recommend seeking legal advice
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Land_Registry
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't really understand the purpose of this thread. LR are usually quite good at monitoring the board and responding to any thread in which there is a LR issue, so why do we need a thread in which there may be many questions asked, causing confusion over which answer relates to which question, and in which LR have yet to post a response even though the thread has been running for almost 30 hours?

I'd suggest to the two people who have posted questions that they start their own threads and mention that they'd like to hear from LR, and I'd also suggest that MSE Andrea deletes this thread.

agrinnall MSE have put this thread in place and advised 'set new companies and organisations up with their own dedicated forum thread where our site users can ask questions'

We're happy either way really and can monitor forum as a whole. But agree it may dilute/confuse things in some cases. As it's a forum it's open to all to post as already seen.

But it may be a way of getting round the issue of not being able to DM organisations like ourselves?

We monitor MSE by searching the forum as a whole using 'Land Registry' as a search. It's not fulproof as some can slip the search net but it generally works. And as you appreciate it's rare that our post can cover everything asked as there's more to property/land than just the registration angle
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2017 at 2:56PM
    Must admit I agree with agrinall. Multiple posters posing Qs on a single thread just causes problems. I for one won't be monitoring this thread - whether that's a blessing or a bane I'll let others decide!

Putting "Land Registry" in a thread title always gets their attention and response, and as the Rep says, they use the search function, so putting "Land Registry" within the body of a post works too.
  • felixmeg
    felixmeg Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi
    My husband and I have a shared ownership house. The mortgage is in his name and I pay the direct debit. The deeds are in his name with myself as interested party/charge on them.

Can we transfer the deeds into my name or do we have to change both the mortgage and deeds to my name?

Or is it far more complicated than that?

Many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure