Building own website

Ok, having read a few threads on here and in various places, I am looking to create a basic, low cost one page website for my business.

Based on what I have read, Wordpress seems to be a good option with hosting with someone else, maybe TSO?

So, I am confused who I buy the domain name from? Everyone wants to sell me one. Do I buy from TSO, from Wordpress or from somewhere else?

Comments

• Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 November 2018 at 9:21AM
    Jet wrote: »
    Ok, having read a few threads on here and in various places, I am looking to create a basic, low cost one page website for my business.

Based on what I have read, Wordpress seems to be a good option with hosting with someone else, maybe TSO?

So, I am confused who I buy the domain name from? Everyone wants to sell me one. Do I buy from TSO, from Wordpress or from somewhere else?

Start with creating your website through wordpress then you can worry about hosting it later. Wordpress is ok, but it's very rigid in what you can do and you might find yourself pulling your hair out with it. For one example nearly all WP templates have blogs included, so wanting to just make a one page is not straight forward.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Quickest way to make a single page is using MS Word in HTML format otherwise the default WP template will also do

For Hosting go with whoever is cheapest, for purchasing the domain go via Godaddy and use one of there regular offers to bag it for 99p!
  • It is less hassle (marginally) if you get the hosting and domain name from the same company, so look around for prices that you are happy with. Domains tend to be about £10 for a year and hosting a few pounds a month, say around £3.

I would recommend Smart Hosting, been using them myself for a few years and they are cheapish and reliable, good support too. They offer a bespoke Wordpress hosting service which should be easier as I guess it comes with WP already installed:

https://www.bestwebhosting.co.uk/wordpress-hosting.php

WP is fine for a fairly simple "brochureware" type site, if you want more complex you might consider Joomla!

What type of business is it?
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Plenty of 3rd party themes for Wordpress which you can install then just change the text. I did this for my first site and found the page builder plugin that came with my theme handy for getting things how I wanted them to look. This isn’t going to give you a fast loading website but at least it should look half decent.

As already mentioned, go daddy for domain then hosting. I use SiteGround @ £3pm.

Best way is to get stuck in, for the sake of £20 your not going to lose much if you mess anything up. It’s a sharp learning curve buying domains and hosting wordpress etc but you’ll be up to speed in no time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure