Name this roof part?

A recent post reminded me to ask this question. It'll need some explaining to understand what I mean.

OK, ours is one half of a semi, with a standard pitched roof and a straight-up gable end wall.

The parts I'm interested in are the pieces of wood that follow the line of the brickwork, at the top of the gable end and that are supported by the ends of purlins which protrude through the brickwork.

These pieces are well rotted - particularly near the top. I'm just curious about the name for them? Gable end rafters?

The roof itself is clay (terra cotta) tiles and the house was built in 1930. It is in general good repair but there are a few tiles broken in half horizontally.

We'll probably decide to get it completely redone at some point and will have a decision to make - redo using similar tiles or go for the fibre cement type (is that standard now?.

Comments

• ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Barge boards
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ceredigion wrote: »
    Barge boards

And the same to you!

Actually, I've looked that up on the interweb and the pictures all seem to show curved decorative wooden bits fitted to projections out from the front of a house.

Mine isn't decorative, it seems more structural. Just a long piece of timber sitting on the purlin projections and painted.

Still a barge board?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    And the same to you!

Actually, I've looked that up on the interweb and the pictures all seem to show curved decorative wooden bits fitted to projections out from the front of a house.

Mine isn't decorative, it seems more structural. Just a long piece of timber sitting on the purlin projections and painted.

Still a barge board?

Still barge boards. Look it up on Wiki.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    http://www.swishbp.co.uk/design/what-are-fascias/

Fascia
    The fascia board is the long, straight board that runs along the lower edge of the roof. The fascia is fixed directly to the lower ends of the roof trusses and usually does all the work of supporting the lower edge of the bottom row of tiles. The fascia board also carries all the guttering.
    This is no mean feat, especially when it is raining hard. In a downpour the roof of a 3-bed semi could be washing several gallons of water per second into its gutters.
    Bargeboard
    This is the board that is used on the gable end of a house. The condition of the bargeboard can often make or break the look of a house, and over the years it has evolved into some very attractive shapes.
    Soffit
    The soffit board is tucked away under the fascia board. It is usually the board that you see most of from street level. The soffit can be ventilated to allow the flow of air into the roof area. Alternatively, ventilation can be provided over the top of the fascia board. Many people prefer the latter solution these days. Without adequate ventilation, condensation will form in the roof void increasing the risk of timber decay.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    Fair enough. Barge board it is. Ta.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business