Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 7th Jan 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3,021Posts
    • 7,385Thanks
    fussypensioner
    Warning promotion of insurance from Homeserve by your local water company
    • 7th Jan 17, 7:23 PM
    Warning promotion of insurance from Homeserve by your local water company 7th Jan 17 at 7:23 PM
    Apologies if this has already been posted before:

My local water company are promoting Homeserve Plumbing and Drainage Insurance.

Homeserve have reportedly been find over 30.6m for mis-selling and complaints handling. Many of your local water companies have hooked up with Homeserve targeting their customers to take out this insurance.

Please be aware that your Home and Contents insurance could include this type of cover and it is therefore unnecessary to take out duplicate cover. There is no mention of this in their promotional letter.

MSE flagged this up in a newsletter last April after a report from Watchdog.

Most of the UK's biggest water companies are promoting potentially unnecessary insurance costing customers more than 100 million a year, according to consumer group Which?.
    Water users sold 'unnecessary' pipe insurance

It found nine of the 12 biggest firms are promoting "expensive" supply pipe insurance with their own free pipe repair schemes, which customers are automatically entitled to use.
    Holding back the years...
Page 2
    • g0rsq
    • By g0rsq 13th Jan 20, 6:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    g0rsq
    Invite to re-join!
    Just recieved an invite to sign back up with Homeserve.

Considering they were asking 120 per year renewal, they are now offering a very similar, if not identical, cover for....1 per month!

However I now have full cover on my house insurance, so will decline this offer.

At 1 per month it is good value, but it quickly gets hiked up if you do not keep an eye on it!
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 13th Jan 20, 7:46 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    nickcc
    Signed up some years ago for the 12 per annum, end of term auto renewal for 120 came through so I cancelled. Still get the renewal reminders about once every three months for the original 12 per annum which I've ignored for at least 5 years.
    • qsk
    • By qsk 14th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    qsk
    You need to read their policy word by word about their "new" cheap offers: they have now removed covers on taps, a major difference from home emergency policy. Moreover, they introduced a 30 access. The policy is now worse than a home emergency cover, which can be added to your home insurance. No need to bother unless you are seriously worried about your drains to collapse.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

722Posts Today

7,375Users online

Martin's Twitter