Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 5th Dec 19, 10:46 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 258Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Windows 7 expiry
    • 5th Dec 19, 10:46 PM
    Windows 7 expiry 5th Dec 19 at 10:46 PM
    As Windows 7 wouldn't be supported by Microsoft from January 2020, the updates, etc will be stopped. I know I can still use my PC but at risk.

I always had and will continue to use my Kaspersky Internet Security up to date. I also use uOrigin to block ads.

Is it safe to use my PC with antivirus program or do I need to look for new hardware (PC or Laptop)?

Thanks
Page 3
    • Magenta
    • By Magenta 7th Jan 20, 1:18 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 5,727 Thanks
    Magenta
    I'd install Windows 10 on a new hard drive, so you can dual-boot into both Win 7 & 10. It makes it easier to copy across any app data that you might have forgotten to back up, and leaves you with Win7 in case you have any problems with Win10.

Disk imaging software (like Macrium Reflect) can create an image file -- a backup of an entire hard disk or partition. You could then use that image file to restore Windows 7 exactly as it was previously, if you have problems with Win 10.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    Originally posted by esuhl
    What would you advise is the best back up medium for the Macrium, disc or portable hard drive (how "big" for the hard drive) please.
    P.S sorry for the non technical terms!!!!!! I am a non-tech person!
    Magenta
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 7th Jan 20, 2:15 PM
    • 2,130 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Depends on how much of your disk space is used. An external USB3 2TB portable hard drive will probably be sufficient. A Seagate one from Amazon is about 55
    • letsbehonest
    • By letsbehonest 10th Jan 20, 11:29 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    letsbehonest
    Fit an ssd and install Linux Mint.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
    • isofa
    • By isofa 11th Jan 20, 10:36 AM
    • 5,965 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    isofa
    So I can't seem to find how to upgrade from Win 7 [Pro] to 10 for free despite lots of people says here it still is a free upgrade, I know it was offered a few years ago, but doesn't seem to be now. Does anyone have an official Microsoft link?
    I have one machine that is still on 7 Pro that I want to update, all the others are new with 10 already.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Jan 20, 11:37 AM
    • 2,130 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    So I can't seem to find how to upgrade from Win 7 [Pro] to 10 for free despite lots of people says here it still is a free upgrade, I know it was offered a few years ago, but doesn't seem to be now. Does anyone have an official Microsoft link?
    I have one machine that is still on 7 Pro that I want to update, all the others are new with 10 already.
    Originally posted by isofa
    https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360009159719-How-to-upgrade-from-Windows-7-to-Windows-10-for-free

If you are stuck, you might have to do a full fresh install of Win 10. There are Win 10 Pro keys on eBay that cost less than 10.
    Last edited by Frozen_up_north; 11-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 12th Jan 20, 10:17 PM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    https://computing.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360009159719-How-to-upgrade-from-Windows-7-to-Windows-10-for-free

If you are stuck, you might have to do a full fresh install of Win 10. There are Win 10 Pro keys on eBay that cost less than 10.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Buying from Ebay is risky. Bought Office 2016 installed but the product key wasn't working. Lost few quid...
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Jan 20, 4:26 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Unfortunately another who seems to be on my ignore list for one reason or another. So someone else will have to help.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 14th Jan 20, 4:33 PM
    • 6,971 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi.

Unfortunately another who seems to be on my ignore list for one reason or another. So someone else will have to help.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

You were a good help to me on a couple of occasions, got me from W7 to W10 smoothly, all fine.

You've got a lot of good advice, so don't hide away.
    Y'all take care now.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Jan 20, 4:44 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Hi.

You were a good help to me on a couple of occasions, got me from W7 to W10 smoothly, all fine.

You've got a lot of good advice, so don't hide away.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Not hiding. Just returned from holiday.

Have no idea why some are on the ignore list. Usually either time wasting or argumentative.

They go there so i remember to not waste my time in the future. Still lots of others who genuinely wish to move forward.
    • bris
    • By bris 15th Jan 20, 9:09 AM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 7,888 Thanks
    bris
    I upgraded for free a couple of weeks ago, I need a key finder to find my win7 licence key and put that in when win10 asked for it.

I had to get rid of office 2010 too as my ISP was withdrawing support for it so I would have had to log in to them to get my emails.
    Last edited by bris; 15-01-2020 at 9:12 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Jan 20, 9:50 AM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I upgraded for free a couple of weeks ago, I need a key finder to find my win7 licence key and put that in when win10 asked for it.

I had to get rid of office 2010 too as my ISP was withdrawing support for it so I would have had to log in to them to get my emails.
    Originally posted by bris
    Not sure if you meant you need one in which case http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html#DownloadLinks should do the job.
    • MidlandsGlory
    • By MidlandsGlory 16th Jan 20, 3:08 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 5,324 Thanks
    MidlandsGlory
    The other day I started up one of my PC's to a big splash message saying Win 7 no longer supported blah, blah.. fine.

But it then did some updates, started failing others and now feels sluggish, curiously my wallpaper was changed by one of the updates!. I presume Microsoft have semi-sabotaged W7 as a parting shot.

So I may well follow the line here and update it to W10, most our other PC's are running on it.

Is it possible to do a fresh W10 install from downloaded media and validate with my legit W7 key? (may as well install a spare SSD while at it)
    Does anyone know if my Office 2016 will install on W10?
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th Jan 20, 3:13 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 4,117 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Is it possible to do a fresh W10 install from downloaded media and validate with my legit W7 key?
    Originally posted by MidlandsGlory

Yes it is

Yes - it will
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Jan 20, 7:09 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    The other day I started up one of my PC's to a big splash message saying Win 7 no longer supported blah, blah.. fine.

But it then did some updates, started failing others and now feels sluggish, curiously my wallpaper was changed by one of the updates!. I presume Microsoft have semi-sabotaged W7 as a parting shot.

So I may well follow the line here and update it to W10, most our other PC's are running on it.

Is it possible to do a fresh W10 install from downloaded media and validate with my legit W7 key? (may as well install a spare SSD while at it)
    Use the GenuineTicket method; https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html taking the belt and braces approach.

Brand name PC?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 16th Jan 20, 7:44 PM
    • 4,356 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Just did an 7->10 upgrade for a neighbour and failed after an hour (error during REPLICATE_OC); suggested clean install of 10 to ssd - took 5 minutes (sourcing their program installs took alot longer).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • davidwatts
    • By davidwatts 17th Jan 20, 4:40 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    davidwatts

Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Thanks for posting that link, followed the process to update my older laptop and all seems to have gone smoothly (fingers crossed). Took several hours (ended up leaving it to finish overnight) so you might want to start the process in the morning on a day when you've not got much else planned!
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 17th Jan 20, 11:13 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thanks for posting that link, followed the process to update my older laptop and all seems to have gone smoothly (fingers crossed). Took several hours (ended up leaving it to finish overnight) so you might want to start the process in the morning on a day when you've not got much else planned!
    Originally posted by davidwatts
    Took several hours because you are still using the old hard disk drives.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 19th Jan 20, 9:53 AM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    And what on what basis do you make these claims?

Resource Hog - depends on your hardware, your drives and your software.

"spies on you" - can be mitigated as per here: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    The only people who make that claim are people to be ignored on any sort of technical issue as they're obviously clueless.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 19th Jan 20, 11:01 AM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    RumRat
    Don't feed the Troll............He's obviously an idiot....Marked as spam...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 25th Jan 20, 8:35 PM
    • 3,227 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I did the free upgrade from W7 to W10 on my computer. It's running slowly now.

Do you think it's best to go back to W7 and keep the Kaspersky Internet Security up to date, and pay no attention to Windows Update?

Thanks
    Originally posted by tazwhoever
    If still running slowly, back up your important data and run a clean install of Windows 10.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

438Posts Today

5,487Users online

Martin's Twitter