Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 19, 2:12 PM
    • 1,488Posts
    • 10,899Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 19, 2:12 PM
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 19 at 2:12 PM
    Welcome to the 2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge. The 2019 Challenge was very successful and can be found here. This is the third year of the Challenge, which is based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations. Each member of the Challenge gets 66 coupons to spend during the year.

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 yard of fabric equals 1 modern metre. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw at the Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers.
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
      [*]Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.
    • Stockings/tights. At 2 coupons a pair, stockings are really expensive in coupon-terms. Because of your connection to the armed forces, you have been given 6 special vouchers for those 4-pair value packs, which will not require coupons to redeem.

- Pip
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 01-01-2020 at 6:32 PM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 0/66 coupons spent
Page 5
    • Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 14th Jan 20, 12:44 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    I finished my pinafore dress last night and I love it. I calculated that it took another 4.5 coupons off my tally for the material used for my dress. I have added that to my signature to make it easier to keep a note of my spends.

I have another question for you all and then I promise I will leave you alone. When I did a declutter of my craft cupboards I realised I had a lot of satin type material. I would love to use these pieces to make something but satin says to me "going out" clobber. I don't go out a lot so it would be silly making lots of that type of clothing. Does anyone have any ideas of practical garments I can make using satin?

Many thanks.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 14th Jan 20, 1:12 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Well, my heavy satin dressing-gown is half-made and shaping up well! Why not go for some 1940s starlet glamour and make yourself a dressing-gown, or maybe pyjamas? My satin is upholstery/curtain satin, too heavy for pyjamas, but it's making a gorgeous dressing-gown which I intend NOT to save for best!
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 14th Jan 20, 1:35 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've been thinking about buying 3m or so of light, good fabric for my next everyday skirt, and have just bought three metres of dupion pure silk in a nice dark green, for only £30 - and the best bit is that it's a remnant listed as 'Used' on eBay so it's coupon-free, as it's second-hand! Hurrah!
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• ConstantKathyPatient38
    • By ConstantKathyPatient38 14th Jan 20, 3:55 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    ConstantKathyPatient38
    Lucky you, well done!
    • lykkelig
    • By lykkelig 14th Jan 20, 4:28 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    lykkelig
    Laura, excellent find! Excellent couponing tactic as well.

I pop on to the thread to report a 100g 80% BFL & 20% bamboo blend of yarn purchased. So I think that is 4 coupons down and sadly I need another 100g as well so it's all a bit of it ouchy. I'm knitting up a shawl that I will use as my scarf next autumn and winter. I wanted to try a yarn that wasn't strengthened with nylon while being a mindful knitter, not churning out project after project which my WIP basket suggests I am doing now. The shawl, should you be interested, is Caravan of Love by Potter and Bloom on Rav.
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 14th Jan 20, 4:36 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura, excellent find! Excellent couponing tactic as well.

I pop on to the thread to report a 100g 80% BFL & 20% bamboo blend of yarn purchased. So I think that is 4 coupons down and sadly I need another 100g as well so it's all a bit of it ouchy. I'm knitting up a shawl that I will use as my scarf next autumn and winter. I wanted to try a yarn that wasn't strengthened with nylon while being a mindful knitter, not churning out project after project which my WIP basket suggests I am doing now. The shawl, should you be interested, is Caravan of Love by Potter and Bloom on Rav.
    Originally posted by lykkelig
    Have you tried the stash-search option on Rav? You can search for a yarn by brand and name and narrow it to your own country, and to those willing to sell - I have been able to get yarns I wouldn't have afforded, full-price, because people often really just want the space so charge far less than the going shop-price. Last year someone even threw in 1200m of pure cashmere, free!, just to get rid of it when I bought a couple of skeins of yarn!

So it's worth going to Rav and clicking 'Yarns' along the top, then 'search in stashes' and click on "will trade or sell' and your country, and you may be lucky!

I often start there, actually, because you can, for example, choose the fibre types and weight and colour-family and see what's around... currently no BFL/bamboo, but if you widen it to wool/bamboo there's lots of Zitron Trekking, although none in the UK - but postage from the EU is often only a few quid...

Anyway - I totally recommend it as a way to help your fellow-knitters get rid of unwanted yarn whilst getting lovely stuff yourself AND not spending any coupons! :_
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• basketcase
    • By basketcase 14th Jan 20, 5:01 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    basketcase
    Hi!
    This seems like a really interesting challenge. Bit late to the party, but please could I join? I’ve been going to Slimming World for a while and have gone down (almost) 2 sizes since joining. But I’ve got a couple more stone to lose to get back to my fighting weight, so I don’t want to go overboard buying stuff if it takes me a while to get there.

I kept a few classic, timeless things (blouses/skirts/waistcoats) in smaller sizes, so hopefully won’t fare too badly. My daughter’s going to help me have a sartorial ‘makeover’ when I reach goal-weight. Fortunately, she’s a vintage/charity shop goddess. (The only word she likes better than ‘bargain’ is ‘free’!!)

I’m not sure how well I’ll do. I think I’d’ve been one of the ones who were initially horrified but determined to improve. My sewing’s passable and I have made clothes in the past; I’m better at hand-sewing than using a machine. My knitting’s reasonable but on the slow side – the war would probably be over before I’d finished a jumper! – and I can crochet very badly, but have the tools to improve (A set of metal hooks, some suitable yarn and a book that has diagrams for lefthanders as well as righties).

My mother was an ace at this sort of thing. I remember her telling me that she used her wedding dress (sky blue silk) to make a dress for my sister and a couple of shirts for my brother. She made do and mended too. I think it’s lack of skill/practice rather than lack of ideas that stops me!

I have a couple of knitting projects that I’m determined to finish before next Christmas and small fabric and yarn stashes. Could I just double-check that these don’t count against my coupons because I’ve had them for (mumble) years?

A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

DECLUTTER CHALLENGE: 2020 in 2020 -
    52 / 2020
    • lykkelig
    • By lykkelig 14th Jan 20, 7:26 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    lykkelig
    Have you tried the stash-search option on Rav? You can search for a yarn by brand and name and narrow it to your own country, and to those willing to sell - I have been able to get yarns I wouldn't have afforded, full-price, because people often really just want the space so charge far less than the going shop-price. Last year someone even threw in 1200m of pure cashmere, free!, just to get rid of it when I bought a couple of skeins of yarn!

So it's worth going to Rav and clicking 'Yarns' along the top, then 'search in stashes' and click on "will trade or sell' and your country, and you may be lucky!

I often start there, actually, because you can, for example, choose the fibre types and weight and colour-family and see what's around... currently no BFL/bamboo, but if you widen it to wool/bamboo there's lots of Zitron Trekking, although none in the UK - but postage from the EU is often only a few quid...

Anyway - I totally recommend it as a way to help your fellow-knitters get rid of unwanted yarn whilst getting lovely stuff yourself AND not spending any coupons! :_
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura Elsewhere! Your help and advice have truly surpassed any MSE expectations. I feel like the world has opened. We both know how I'm spending my evening then.

I searched for nettle fibres but it came up with cellulose which sounds really quite man-made to me. Does anyone know anything about nettle in terms of a natural fibre?
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 14th Jan 20, 8:21 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura Elsewhere! Your help and advice have truly surpassed any MSE expectations. I feel like the world has opened. We both know how I'm spending my evening then.

I searched for nettle fibres but it came up with cellulose which sounds really quite man-made to me. Does anyone know anything about nettle in terms of a natural fibre?
    Originally posted by lykkelig

Mwahaha It's a glorious rabbit-hole, isn't it?!

Nettle, you'll find listed under "ramie" for reasons I don't understand...
    Cellulose is just the technical term for lots of natural fibres - bamboo is cellulose, linen and hemp are cellulose, it's to do with the cellular structure that plants use to have stems that stand up - it does sound like cellophane, which most people think is a plastic film, but actually real cellophane is plant-material!

So you're absolutely fine with cellulose or cellulosic fibres for natural yarns - and lots of them like nettle/ ramie and hemp and linen are very sustainable. Bamboo is less definitely sustainable - some of it is, some of it isn't...

And nettle and hemp and linen are all far better in terms of resources used in production than cotton which is dire, and of course they're all far better for any washable garment than synthetics - some dreadful research findings over Xmas about all the acrylic "Xmas jumpers" and what the acrylic yarn production does to the environment, not to mention washing non-natural fibres, argh...!

It all comes down to "you can only do what you can do" - nobody's perfect, nobody can do all of it (I certainly don't!), but reducing the amount of new materials we use, and choosing materials that pollute less in washing, those two definitely help!

I'll get off my soapbox now, shall I?

(And before anyone thinks I'm a bit Holier Than Thou, that satin dressing gown I'm making is synthetic fibres right down the line...! Like I said, "you can only do what you can do" - just make sure that you DO do that much!)
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 15th Jan 20, 9:33 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 46,379 Thanks
    dolly84
    Laura_Elsewhere - I agree with you about the choice of fabrics, those Christmas jumpers are an outrage and should be knocked on the head immediately, they make me cringe when I see them never mind touch that nasty fabric.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 12/66
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th Jan 20, 12:39 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I am now going to be speed-sewing the pink satin dressing gown, because the very very cheap silk I bought on eBay has already arrived, and she kindly threw in, free, 3m of pistachio-green lining - it's only polyester but it's a very good quality, and a much richer warmer deeper colour than this pic looks on my laptop screen - the silk is a dark rich conifer-green, but the lining is really nice too!

I can't wait to get sewing!

(66+8.5 from last year)

• Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 15th Jan 20, 1:59 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    I've been very naughty today. Yesterday I got absolutely drenched on the way home and my coat was still wet when I walked in this morning. I have been looking at my coat for a while thinking I really need to replace it but I haven't found anything in the charity shops. I noticed that an outdoor shop in town had 70% off of everything so I had a look to see what they had. They had 3 coats in my size (which I thought was a minor miracle as normally they sell quickly). I tried them on and found one that fitted, was water resistant and long enough to cover down to my knees as well as being really toasty warm. It was down as being £115 so I decided to buy it as it would last me years and when I got to the till they said £89 so I was even happier. I am feeling bad spending over £200.00 on outdoor wear (I spent on boots as well this weekend) and I have spent two thirds of my annual clothes (monetary) budget in a week. That's another 14 coupons spent so I have spent my coupons I carried over quite quickly. To make me feel better about this I think I may get rid of 3 coats I have at home to compensate. If I wash two of them they may be alright for the charity shop and another one is a ski jacket which I haven't really used in 10 years so I will probably give that to the homeless shelter.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 15th Jan 20, 5:29 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Lisa, that isn't being naughty - you hadn't *got* a decent weatherproof coat so you bought a very good quality one which met all your requirements and fitted well, at a reduced price.

that's sensible!

It's not like you had four good coats at home already but had been absent-minded and come out without one so gone and bought a fifth one that didn't really fit and won't go with any of your other clothes and is actually now you look at it already coming apart a bit but it was cheap in a fast-fashion-throwaway store so you got it anyway. In two different colourways.

That would be naughty, if you're trying to reduce your consumption!

This is a good coat - and boots - that will last you for years and earn their keep! What's the £200 divided by the number of days you wear them annually? That's how they reckon you can work out the real value of an item. You'll wear the coat most days in the cold wet months, yes? If you wear it for most working days of Nov, Dec, jan and Feb, that's easily 100 days. So it's cost you a quid a day - and that's only for one year - wear it next winter too, and knock it down to 50p a day! And of course if it's a wet cold spring you'll wear it in March, or in a blustery October, etc., etc.
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    • By Crafty Lisa Hampshire 16th Jan 20, 12:42 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    Crafty Lisa Hampshire
    Thanks Laura - you make a lot of sense there. I also felt a bit better when I got home and had a really good look at my old coat and it really was starting to get a bit threadbare on the back so I am pleased that I got this new one. The old one is going to the tip in their rag bin. I am taking a ski jacket to the homeless shelter today at lunchtime. I am taking another one to the charity shop and there is a fourth jacket I am contemplating disposing of. I may try and upcycle it but I'm in two minds whether it is worth it. It has to be about 15 years old, unbelievably faded (fabric and buttons) and I am not sure the "stuffing" inside will cope with much more wear. I will still have a think on that. Anyway, I am pleased I have it now and am convinced it was a very sensible spend.
    Lisa x
    • getmyacttogether2016
    • By getmyacttogether2016 17th Jan 20, 10:08 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    getmyacttogether2016
    Have decided to try and learn crochet again so went for a lesson on Thursday evening. Took my wool along that I had picked out ages ago (probably around 18 months/2 yrs ago). Decided that was not what I wanted to use and wanted super chunky instead. 700g of wool found its way into my bag, so I believe that is 12 coupons used.

Really enjoyed it and going back next week.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board and hoping to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Grocery challenge £103.91/£200
    2020 Fashion on the Ration 14/66
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 0/24
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 18th Jan 20, 8:34 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 46,379 Thanks
    dolly84
    Bought a Pachamama hand knitted cardigan in a charity shop yesterday, 5 coupons spent. I have a knitwear addiction and didn't need this but I do love these Nepalese and Peruvian type jumpers.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.

Fashion on the Ration 12/66
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 18th Jan 20, 9:17 AM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 10,899 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    CraftyLisaHampshire, I’ve been meaning to ask: why are you charging yourself coupons for stuff that’s already in your stash? You don’t have to do that; the ration was all about purchasing new items.

Have decided to try and learn crochet again so went for a lesson on Thursday evening. Took my wool along that I had picked out ages ago (probably around 18 months/2 yrs ago). Decided that was not what I wanted to use and wanted super chunky instead. 700g of wool found its way into my bag, so I believe that is 12 coupons used.

Really enjoyed it and going back next week.

GMAT
    Originally posted by getmyacttogether2016
    GMAT, if you’re going to slip... Do it properly. What was the yarn you bought?

Also, sadly, you’ve miscalculated. Two ounces of yarn (50g) costs coupon so 700g is a spend of 14, not 12 coupons. Sorry.

I am currently debating whether to rip back the jumper that I’m knitting, to below where I started the bust darts and to do them again, slightly higher up. I’ve also refined my technique for the left-side of the darts because, when knitting in the round, wrap-and-turn resulted in an enlarged stitch that will need over-sewing to fix. I think I will do it today - the jumper’s been in time-out for the last two weeks, so what do I have to lose? Hopefully, I can remember my new technique, since I didn’t document it at the time. (Numpty!)

My trip to Winchester this week didn’t result in a shopping trip at lunchtime. It was a full-on day, so we worked through lunch. However, my colleague did, proudly, display her “new” jumper to me and announce it was £2.50 from a charity shop.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 0/66 coupons spent
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Jan 20, 9:30 AM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Laura - those fabrics look lovely, look forward to seeing the pics when it is made.

Lisa - so pleased that you have now reconciled the purchase of the coat and boots, as someone said "no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes to suit". I have been lucky enough to find quality bad weather gear and boots in CS over the years (dog walker and holidays spent walking fells, dales, moors etc, but have never begrudged to cost of "good" outdoor wear bought at the optimum price, some things are still going strong after years of wear (and care).

getmyacttogether2016 - have fun with the crocheting, I had some lessons years ago and enjoyed them, but never got into it

After much dithering I finally made up my mind and took my Rowan yarn and pattern to Wool Shop and asked the owner if she could get it made up for me, will be costly, but hopefully will be worth it to have a classic layering piece in colour and style of my choice and made to fit me. I see Rheumatologist in a few weeks and will ask if anything can be improved with my left hand, and will continue knitting smaller things and perhaps also try some Aran weight yarn from stash for a simple jumper which should be easier on larger needles and have less stitches per inch/row etc.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 18th Jan 20, 10:05 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Bought a Pachamama hand knitted cardigan in a charity shop yesterday, 5 coupons spent. I have a knitwear addiction and didn't need this but I do love these Nepalese and Peruvian type jumpers.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    If it was bought in a charity shop then it's second-hand and doesn't need any coupons, so you haven't spent 5 coup[ons at all! Well done!
    (66+8.5 from last year)

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 18th Jan 20, 10:16 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,162 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere

I see Rheumatologist in a few weeks and will ask if anything can be improved with my left hand, and will continue knitting smaller things and perhaps also try some Aran weight yarn from stash for a simple jumper which should be easier on larger needles and have less stitches per inch/row etc.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Am I right in thinking you're nearish to Shrewsbury? I'd be more than happy to meet up sometime there and I could bring my knitting-belt for you to try, so you can find out if it eases the strain on your hands in knitting - I would be very happy to lend it to you, as I tend just to jam the needle into my usual belt so haven't used the actual knitting belt itself in years now.

When my spine went, the specialist physios were baffled by my being able to continue knitting until I demonstrated for them - they were fascinated as they'd never seen "anchored knitting" before, ie with the back of the RH needle held, and had a great time trying to work out just how it changed the mechanics of knitting in so many different ways!

Anyway - let me know. Weekdays are best, but I could do an odd Saturday if that was best for you
    (66+8.5 from last year)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

693Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter