Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • QuentinXX
    • By QuentinXX 12th Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    QuentinXX
    Letter from CST Law
    • 12th Jan 20, 12:20 PM
    Letter from CST Law 12th Jan 20 at 12:20 PM
    I've just opened a letter from CST Law dated 30/12/19. It is regarding money I allegedly owe to Centrica/British Gas.

I was an employee of BG up to January 2018 and they say that they overpaid me, something I contested when I was employed by them. Since I left I have had no correspondence from British Gas or Centrica and now this letter has arrived on my doorstep.

In the letter they have given me 7 days to contact them which we are obviously well past. As this isn't a fine or an unpaid bill but a matter between employee and employer, should I write to CST Law informing them that this is the first I have heard of this in the two years that I have left or should I just go down the route of asking them to provide all paperwork?
Page 1
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 12th Jan 20, 12:42 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 3,338 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 12th Jan 20, 12:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 12:42 PM
    I've just opened a letter from CST Law dated 30/12/19. It is regarding money I allegedly owe to Centrica/British Gas.

I was an employee of BG up to January 2018 and they say that they overpaid me, something I contested when I was employed by them. Since I left I have had no correspondence from British Gas or Centrica and now this letter has arrived on my doorstep.

In the letter they have given me 7 days to contact them which we are obviously well past. As this isn't a fine or an unpaid bill but a matter between employee and employer, should I write to CST Law informing them that this is the first I have heard of this in the two years that I have left or should I just go down the route of asking them to provide all paperwork?
    Originally posted by QuentinXX
    Clearly it isn't the first you've heard of it.

They have 6 years to pursue the debt (assuming you're in England or Wales). You can continue to dispute it but they clearly believe they are right if they've engaged lawyers to chase you. Only you can say whether they don't have a case/ whether its worth challenging/ paying it back.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
    • QuentinXX
    • By QuentinXX 12th Jan 20, 12:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    QuentinXX
    • 12th Jan 20, 12:50 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 12:50 PM
    Thank you nicechap. I clearly said it is the first I've heard of it in the two years since I left. I had obviously heard of it when I worked there.

I was asking the first step I should pursue legally.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 12th Jan 20, 1:00 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 3,338 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:00 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:00 PM
    Thank you nicechap. I clearly said it is the first I've heard of it in the two years since I left. I had obviously heard of it when I worked there.

I was asking the first step I should pursue legally.
    If you want legal advice you need to ask a lawyer. You could try CAB (separate forum here or in many towns).

There's no harm asking for proof but it doesn't change the choices you face, only the timeframe.
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
    • QuentinXX
    • By QuentinXX 12th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    QuentinXX
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    Ah well.....I came here for help. Seems there's none going, just what I knew already. Happy for someone to close this. Toodles.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Jan 20, 1:14 PM
    • 35,667 Posts
    • 22,511 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:14 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:14 PM
    Ah well.....I came here for help. Seems there's none going, just what I knew already. Happy for someone to close this. Toodles.

You have been given advice.

What advice would you like ?

I take it you have proof to back up your claim ?

Maybe try a SAR.
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 12th Jan 20, 1:43 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:43 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:43 PM
    Gosh - you don't get the answer you want in an hour so you get objectionable and p**s off? Is that why your former employer has left this to someone else to chase?

CST Law are not lawyers, they are a debt recovery company. The extent to which they can (currently) pursue this debt depends on all the information that you haven't bothered to provide. Which is why you were asked for that information. You clearly know what the letter refers to, and you know whether or not you actually owe the money. What your next steps are depends on those answers.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 12th Jan 20, 1:59 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:59 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 1:59 PM
    Your asking for legal advice, we are not lawyers.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 12th Jan 20, 2:46 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 3,338 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 12th Jan 20, 2:46 PM
    • 12th Jan 20, 2:46 PM
    There are some lawyers who contribute on here and elsewhere on MSE. The problem is, anyone and everyone can post on here whether legally qualified or not so any posts need to be taken on their merit as there will be no comeback on MSE if someone follows incorrect advice.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Jan 20, 3:15 PM
    • 7,577 Posts
    • 8,091 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    If debt collectors have been instructed does that automatically mean that a CCJ or similar is in place? Or could the previous employer simply have sold the debt?
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 12th Jan 20, 3:59 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Blatchford
    If debt collectors have been instructed does that automatically mean that a CCJ or similar is in place? Or could the previous employer simply have sold the debt?
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    It could mean either of those things. And what they might or might not be able to do about the alleged debt can also depend on whether it exists and what it is for. The fact the OP said they didn’t get overpaid at the time is irrelevant to anything, since it proves nothing. But apparently the OP doesn’t believe in seeing things through, then or now.
    • TrickyNickyLondon
    • By TrickyNickyLondon 14th Jan 20, 12:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TrickyNickyLondon
    Ask for evidence!!
    I also received a similar letter as yourself. I left British Gas at the end of 2016 and have recently received letters from Credit Style Limited, and CST Law, stating that I owe money to Centria for overpayment. I couldn't help but notice their attempts to look professional, but print their letters on a budget inkjet printer. Having done a brief google search it's clear that they are in fact the same people. Apparently they buy outstanding debts for around 10% of their original value and bombard you with letters and text messages in a desperate fashion.
    I have written back four times now asking them to provide evidence which they have ignored.
    Regardless whether or not we were aware of the overpayment or not, surely someone with an ounce common sense would require evidence of the alleged debt?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Jan 20, 3:35 PM
    • 12,502 Posts
    • 11,146 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Regardless whether or not we were aware of the overpayment or not, surely someone with an ounce common sense would require evidence of the alleged debt?
    Originally posted by TrickyNickyLondon
    Some people would just pay up without question
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 14th Jan 20, 5:02 PM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 3,338 Thanks
    nicechap
    If someone knew they owed you money would you think its OK for them to find ways to avoid/ delay paying it?
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 14th Jan 20, 5:53 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Blatchford
    What I love about MSE is how, completely coincidentally, new members with absolutely no posting history happen to find each other and reinforce their own opinions without having actually provided any evidence of anything at all.
    • Jsacker
    • By Jsacker 14th Jan 20, 6:14 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Jsacker
    What I love about MSE is how, completely coincidentally, new members with absolutely no posting history happen to find each other and reinforce their own opinions without having actually provided any evidence of anything at all.
    Originally posted by Blatchford
    I'm assuming that this is the same for others, but when I search on google for "CST Law letter from centrica" or "CST Law letter from British Gas" the first match is this thread...
    • TrickyNickyLondon
    • By TrickyNickyLondon 18th Jan 20, 12:22 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TrickyNickyLondon
    As mentioned in my comment Blatchford, I googled CST Law, and Centrica. Google is amazing when it addresses keywords. It finds threads such as this!
    If I posted you an invoice nicechap, would you just pay it?
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 18th Jan 20, 7:41 AM
    • 1,931 Posts
    • 3,338 Thanks
    nicechap
    As mentioned in my comment Blatchford, I googled CST Law, and Centrica. Google is amazing when it addresses keywords. It finds threads such as this!
    If I posted you an invoice nicechap, would you just pay it?
    No, I know I don't owe you money.

If you owed me money, what would it take to get it back off you? Your friends must run a mile if you demand an invoice every time you borrow a tenner.
    Last edited by nicechap; 18-01-2020 at 7:45 AM.
    • TrickyNickyLondon
    • By TrickyNickyLondon 23rd Jan 20, 8:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TrickyNickyLondon
    Exactly that nice chap.

I know I don't owe CST law money, yet they're demanding some! If I owed you money from 2016 I'm sure you would explain why, wouldn't you?

We're different.. I don't need to borrow tenners off of my friends.
    • Densol
    • By Densol 23rd Jan 20, 11:17 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Densol
    Money saving expert
    Money saving expert
    ........ keep repeating and you can understand the purpose of this site ..... hang on ..... yep Money Saving expert.
    So thats people looking for guidance not to be fleeced or bullied into paying money they do not think is justified demands in law or money they dont owe
    OP and also poster who has this issue, post on debts and credit issues forums, you’ll get more tailored advice on there
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

5,253Users online

Martin's Twitter