Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,422Posts
    • 58,367Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 501
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Jan 20, 2:09 PM
    • 4,492 Posts
    • 9,604 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    pile-o-stone. Welcome! Given I have just come out of our river, wet and muddy, greetings. I do like your gabions. I might be tempted to tidy the vegetation on the other bank slightly... amazing how much protection a bit of foliage gives a bank, and how much it slows the current down. You might be able to flare the wire outwards slightly at the base of the next one: it will deter undermining. Mind you, they do look pretty strong and robust as they are.

I have a few fallen willow across our (slightly larger) river, and I need to cut them and pull them out with the tractor before the next rains. We do flood magnificently, but part of my land is designed to do so.... just maybe not so much next time!

So, do I put this morning's sodden, muddy, cold outfit back on, or just start again in my dry, warm clothes? Dry, I think, and hope not to fall in as much!
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 8th Jan 20, 4:03 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone. Welcome! Given I have just come out of our river, wet and muddy, greetings. I do like your gabions. I might be tempted to tidy the vegetation on the other bank slightly... amazing how much protection a bit of foliage gives a bank, and how much it slows the current down. You might be able to flare the wire outwards slightly at the base of the next one: it will deter undermining. Mind you, they do look pretty strong and robust as they are.

I have a few fallen willow across our (slightly larger) river, and I need to cut them and pull them out with the tractor before the next rains. We do flood magnificently, but part of my land is designed to do so.... just maybe not so much next time!

So, do I put this morning's sodden, muddy, cold outfit back on, or just start again in my dry, warm clothes? Dry, I think, and hope not to fall in as much!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    Thanks DD! I only own one side of the bank (my land ends at the centre of the stream), so I can't do too much on the other bank. I do however trim back any tree branches that grow across the stream - they're great for dumping in the bottom of the raised beds.

I chuckled at your clothing dilemma. I work from home and often take a break by popping outside and adding a few rocks in the gabions. I often think 'oh I'll only be dropping some stones in so I don't need to change', then end up muddying another pair of jeans. The wash basket is full of them at the mo

p.s. with the gabions, once they're complete I'll be sitting another large raised bed on top (which pretty much sit half on the gabion and half on the soil) and also a potting shed, so that should further stabilize them - though as you say they're pretty robust already.
    Last edited by pile-o-stone; 08-01-2020 at 5:13 PM.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Jan 20, 5:57 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 46,974 Thanks
    alfie 1
    sorry just a quick pop in

hiya POS

dave ... if dog seriously need a new home let me know and I can garantee a brill country home [details if so ] xx
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Jan 20, 6:30 PM
    • 4,492 Posts
    • 9,604 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    I chose dry clothes. I did not fall in, so good choice. Some trees still across the river, but they belong to the other side. We shall see if they deal with them, now it is tidier.

Regrettably, at the weekend, we had to put one of the donkeys to sleep. Elderly and wonky she may have been, but I thought it would be a good few years before that happened. Rest of the pack is pining LOUDLY, as donkeys do. Luckily the neighbours are distant, tolerant, and also away. Sad, though, for all of us.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 8th Jan 20, 9:13 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 46,974 Thanks
    alfie 1
    so sad dafty....
    but I always say better for any animal to have had a good life and be loved while it lasts ... compared to many that never get that luxury ... xx

for anybody who has FBook look up..... Mavis Davis and Chums
    its a guy that does a daily diary / pics of his smallholding in devon ... hilarious !!
    Last edited by alfie 1; 08-01-2020 at 9:20 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jan 20, 9:57 PM
    • 30,180 Posts
    • 103,712 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Hi P-o-S, We have a seasonal stream at the edge of our land, but we own the other bank for a distance of about 50m. The neighbouring farmer has 150m where the situation's reversed. This is what's shown on all the title documentation and RPA mapping, but it's not necessarily understood by the other guy, so I tread carefully!
    Currently, I'm thinning the overhanging trees before the primroses come out, because I don't want to stomp over those. So far, the neighbour's said nothing, so hopefully I can get more light in and help the better trees to flourish before discussing the potentially thorny issue of the large, dead wych elm, which will cost one of us £hundreds to cut down and remove.

Sorry about your donkey, Dafty. Inevitable when you are in 'end of life care.' A good life, though.

Alfie, thanks for the offer. I'll PM when I know more, but matters are still fluid at present. She's a good dog and well trained, so it's reassuring to know there could be a suitable place for her. You're a star!

Harrod do the metal deep beds:
    https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/4-in-1-modular-metal-raised-bed-pid10033.html

Me, I like to build my own from wood, preservative and all. At my age I need all the preservative I can get!
    You have been warned!
    • choille
    • By choille 8th Jan 20, 11:24 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 34,844 Thanks
    choille
    The raised beds from Harrods - wriggly tin. Goodness.

I made mine from pressure treated wood but my garden is so overgrown & neglected it'll take me to find them under all the weeds. I should get some seaweed and just chuck it on them & hope it suffocates the grass & chickweed & docks...................
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jan 20, 9:10 AM
    • 30,180 Posts
    • 103,712 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Not enjoying Storm Brendan much, but I don't suppose I'd be any happier if they'd called it Belinda. Now I believe we have Storm Anonymous bearing down....

Had the discussion with our neighbour who thinks he owns our stream-side far bank on Saturday. He found me down there out of the wind, reducing the branches that rob us of light . I explained he'd been reading the boundary mapping wrongly, and he conceded that might be why he'd also been 'having problems' with another landowner whose land adjoins a stream which wanders in and out of his western boundary.

He's a reasonable guy, so he said he'd go and look at his title deeds and then get back to me. I already have his title plan, our title plan, another neighbour's title plan, the barn conversions' common areas plan and the RPA mapping, all of which tell the same story, so that's fine. Only the RPA map colours the stream blue, so matters are not as obvious as it might seem.

I pointed out that if he wants to claim all the hedge, it will come with the very large and very dead Wych elm that'll cost £hundreds to remove!

I imagine we'll end up sharing the hedge, cutting our own side, as was the intention when the boundaries were set up. That's OK too. There's enough light now without the overhang to make a big difference to what we might grow there.

No news on the dog yet alfie. The owner is out of immediate danger, but no longer able to make decisions, and those who have to decide stuff are still coming to terms with it. Been there, know how they feel.
    You have been warned!
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Jan 20, 10:11 AM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 34,844 Thanks
    choille
    Some hooley last night. Lost power for a while. Amazed it came back on so quickly but OH decided to empty the stove as it has an electric pump and was scared that we would overheat the back boiler - the whole place filled with smoke.

It's gone unreally calm now. Sky grey - is it snow or rain up there I wonder?
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 14th Jan 20, 10:30 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Some hooley last night. Lost power for a while. Amazed it came back on so quickly but OH decided to empty the stove as it has an electric pump and was scared that we would overheat the back boiler - the whole place filled with smoke.

It's gone unreally calm now. Sky grey - is it snow or rain up there I wonder?
    Originally posted by choille
    You should have a heat dump radiator above the woodburner so that hot water can circulate when the power goes off, protecting you from this worry.

We used to have a boiler stove and our overheat radiator had been turned off at the valve (I found out afterwards that these rads should not have adjustable valves for exactly this reason). The power went off while we were out and the back boiler cracked and flooded the kitchen.

I'd really urge you to get a HETAS approved fitter in to make your stove safe. you should be able to tun off your electricity and still run your stove with zero worry.
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Jan 20, 11:49 AM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 34,844 Thanks
    choille
    We had a sorry time with a plumber from hell and he really caused us an awful lot of expense and a lot of repair work - still not got everything sorted as yet.
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 14th Jan 20, 1:00 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    We had a sorry time with a plumber from hell and he really caused us an awful lot of expense and a lot of repair work - still not got everything sorted as yet.
    Originally posted by choille
    That's been pretty much my experience with most tradesmen while I've been renovating our house. I've virtually given up and now try and do all the work myself. Takes ages though as I have a day job too.
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Jan 20, 2:22 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 34,844 Thanks
    choille
    My OH has got mobility issues due to a chronic blood disorder that wasn't picked up for ages so he has had to try and get other people on board.

It's a revelation - taken us years to get this far - probably due to all the hassle and expense of having tradespeople who weren't being as professional as you expect them to be. Because it's a relatively isolated place the trades have had it all their own way for a long time.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 15th Jan 20, 10:05 AM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 46,974 Thanks
    alfie 1
    morning peeps

well that was a bit blustery last night !! we had a red flood warning for the village [ river runs through] and at places along the river side . luckily it was in the early hours so had subsided by this morning ... ive known worse !
    my fields are seriously squishy ! I keep rotating the horses but to be honest its mush every where now...
    the sheep can get under one fence and have decided that to do this gets then a cosy shelter in that field, horse free !
    I battled to get hay to them yesterday as the wind was making me wobble somewhat and between the threat of a mud bath and the horses knocking me into it , I was kernackered ! srill got mud splats all over me but better than a few days ago when I did slip and ended up looking like the mud monster ! having very long hair I always end up with mud streaks where I have inadvertently wiped my face and get my hair out of the way !! I give up at the moment ...

dave... in the event re dog .. I have plenty of people wanting to offer a home IF it needs it . even had a local MPs son asking me [his fathers a bit of a **** but hes ok ....]

well today is chicken clean out day ........ my life always exciting !

stay safe peeps ... x
    • choille
    • By choille 15th Jan 20, 11:27 AM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 34,844 Thanks
    choille
    morning peeps

well that was a bit blustery last night !! we had a red flood warning for the village [ river runs through] and at places along the river side . luckily it was in the early hours so had subsided by this morning ... ive known worse !
    my fields are seriously squishy ! I keep rotating the horses but to be honest its mush every where now...
    the sheep can get under one fence and have decided that to do this gets then a cosy shelter in that field, horse free !
    I battled to get hay to them yesterday as the wind was making me wobble somewhat and between the threat of a mud bath and the horses knocking me into it , I was kernackered ! srill got mud splats all over me but better than a few days ago when I did slip and ended up looking like the mud monster ! having very long hair I always end up with mud streaks where I have inadvertently wiped my face and get my hair out of the way !! I give up at the moment ...

dave... in the event re dog .. I have plenty of people wanting to offer a home IF it needs it . even had a local MPs son asking me [his fathers a bit of a **** but hes ok ....]

well today is chicken clean out day ........ my life always exciting !

stay safe peeps ... x
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    I slid yesterday Alfie filling up the bird feeder. I even had mud down my pants. I must have channelled it as I scooted down the slope backwards - the dog barked at me when I came in the door dripping everywhere.
    It's rained here for months but if it stops it tends to dry really quite quickly as we are on a slope. But land that is on the level is under water.
    The wind was really fierce during the night & blowy still but the snow has turned to slush - there's no more on the tops than there was.
    We are back to the thunder snow again. Rumbling away through the night.
    I'm amazed that the little poly house is still intact as it was heaving in and out like bellows last night. I'm also amazed that the byre roof is still on. If I had the money I would get it rebuilt but it will have to hold on just with the aid of witch craft at the moment.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 18th Jan 20, 10:49 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 46,974 Thanks
    alfie 1
    and today the sun shone and the morning started bright and frosty. average 4-6 degrees.
    been hay feeding every day now .. fields are mush but not too muddy..
    they have the run of 3 fields now to try and stop the fields becoming too muddy [aprox 10 acres ]
    ben looking for someone to re roof the bow top and very difficult to find someone to do it HERE. im not shipping it off to the midlands !
    SO my mate and I have decided to have a crack at it ! we are going to do the smaller [less value] one first and if it works [via utube etc] we will do the biggun .... fingers crossed . I can do the paintwork I reckon .....
    going to do the bird watch survey this year ... birds will prob be shy now !
    they had a shoot on surrounding fields thurs/fri and didn't here many shots !? im guessing all the pheasants in my and neighbours garden were a bit shy .............. hehehehe

well I hope you are all cosy and safe peeps xx
    • pile-o-stone
    • By pile-o-stone 19th Jan 20, 12:59 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    pile-o-stone
    Another gabion fitted. I just need to stain the fence and move the potting shed onto it and my heavy engineering is finished for another year and I can get in with planting the raised beds. 🙂

• choille
    • By choille 19th Jan 20, 3:04 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 34,844 Thanks
    choille
    Windy here again but dry - very chilly & doesn't beckon me out again. Was through the community woodland earlier with colliewobble. Quite a few trees leaning precariously and showing their underskirts. Pines are so shallow rooted I suppose and once you get some down the rest will follow. They all look at the end of their lives and will be replanted with something more indigenous I hope. I'm sure they will be as it's all very well organised.

I still have a scratched eye which did heal but seems to have flared up again & I'm wearing sunglasses when outdoors which looks completely silly but keeps the wind out of it.

Indoor jobs now - listing on the bay I think as they have an offer on fees.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 19th Jan 20, 9:08 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 46,974 Thanks
    alfie 1
    choille ... now I know this is re my dog BUT ... she is blind in one eye and is prone to it becoming red/sore/shut .. I have 2 sorts of eye drops .. one for ulcerated and the other just as an eye wash . the vet specifically said NOT to use the common etc wash if ulcerated as it makes it worse ? must not have any type of steroid for normal eye .... I will check but only use a was for the right condition or it makes things worse ... if that makes sense !!!
    • choille
    • By choille 19th Jan 20, 11:00 PM
    • 8,278 Posts
    • 34,844 Thanks
    choille
    Thanks Alfie - I was at the eye clinic 1st time & now back with opthamist/optician who prescribed some drops. Seems that it may require a corneal graft Which is freaking me out a little, if it won't heal. But I have to keep eyes moist & think problem before was that they got too dry & it opened up the scratch.

I have stuff to put in that alters the pupil size which acts as a pain killer coz it was very sore. And stuff that is a ant-biotic & stuff that acts like tears.

Sorry to bang on but I got drops initially from nurse- try getting a GP appointment here & they were the wrong ones that caused me to look like I'd been punched. Ended up at A&E. Long story but hopefully it will clear up this time - fingers crossed as it's quite annoying.

Hope the dog is okay - you are marvellous with your animals Alfie.
    I have to put drops in the sheeps eyes if they get a rubbed soreness when the midges are horrendous. It's a faff but doable and does clear it up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

367Posts Today

4,907Users online

Martin's Twitter