Redundant with no notice or pay and still waiting on wages

My employer of two years has been having financial difficulties for a few months and told me right after New Years that he can't afford to employ me anymore and to not go back to work. I wasn't given any notice or notice pay. Due to the mentioned financial difficulties, I am also still awaiting my December wages and some wages from November.

He plans to make the business I was employed under insolvent and so insists on me not needing a p45 because he says if he gives me that I "won't get redundancy pay from the insolvency". Without the P45 I am still listed as employed on HMRC records and so when I get paid for some part-time work I've managed to secure, I am also assuming that I might get taxed more than I should on that?

I'm also wondering that if I get my P45, can I still claim statutory notice pay, for being given no notice and no notice pay? If so how would I do that?

It's all a bit of a mess and I just need some guidance as to my rights and what I'm entitled to do.

I hope I've posted this in the right forum category and thank you in advance for any help/advice offered

Comments

• m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You really need to get legal advice from CAB ASAP.
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No experience of this BUT my current employer only pays redundancy when you have been employed more than 2 years. If under 2 years, they don't pay redundancy, they give you 1 weeks notice and that's it.

Kev
  • My employer of two years has been having financial difficulties for a few months and told me right after New Years that he can't afford to employ me anymore and to not go back to work. I wasn't given any notice or notice pay. Due to the mentioned financial difficulties, I am also still awaiting my December wages and some wages from November.

He plans to make the business I was employed under insolvent and so insists on me not needing a p45 because he says if he gives me that I "won't get redundancy pay from the insolvency". Without the P45 I am still listed as employed on HMRC records and so when I get paid for some part-time work I've managed to secure, I am also assuming that I might get taxed more than I should on that?

I'm also wondering that if I get my P45, can I still claim statutory notice pay, for being given no notice and no notice pay? If so how would I do that?

It's all a bit of a mess and I just need some guidance as to my rights and what I'm entitled to do.

I hope I've posted this in the right forum category and thank you in advance for any help/advice offered
    it's a huge mess.

If you haven't got two years or more employment theta no redundancy pay. Your statutory notice is one or two weeks - depending on exact dates. Having secured some work, however, complicates things still more. And that's before we discuss whether he really had filed for insolvency.

Are you in a union?
  • Blatchford wrote: »
    it's a huge mess.

If you haven't got two years or more employment theta no redundancy pay. Your statutory notice is one or two weeks - depending on exact dates. Having secured some work, however, complicates things still more. And that's before we discuss whether he really had filed for insolvency.

Are you in a union?

I would've been there 2 years the week after he told me not to go back to work. I was given no notice at all. I can confirm he has not yet filed for insolvency, and I haven't even received a P45 following our meeting, so as far as HMRC are concerned, I still work there.

Unfortunately I'm not in a union.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If there was an insolvency then you’d be entitled unpaid wages, notice and redundancy from the government.
    In this case you should get a P45.
    In this case the government are very keen and insist you sign for JSA ASAP because they will not take on additional costs if you delay going to DWP (its A different government budget).

However you don’t appear to have a formal redundancy or formal insolvency.

In your position I would suggest going to the CAB.

Presumably you are job seeking?
  • Thank you to everyone for your responses. I have finally received a P45, I am just waiting for this to update on my HMRC Personal Tax Account online.

My next concern is getting my unpaid wages. I haven't been paid for December and am also missing some of my November wages. However, these months' earnings have been declared by my employer to HRMC. What can I do if they've declared earnings that I received?

I'm very concerned that he'll just see it as a company debt and let it get swallowed up by the insolvency and never pay me? Can he do this?

*Just to answer a couple of questions, I am currently job seeking whilst working a part-time job I managed to secure in the meantime. I have been in touch with Acas a few times and have tried CAB but they just give me standard-issue, straight-out-of-the-book answers. I'm going to try and get a drop-in appointment at my local CAB office*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure