Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Oct 19, 7:22 PM
    • 4,335Posts
    • 7,430Thanks
    another casualty
    Landline telephone
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:22 PM
    Landline telephone 10th Oct 19 at 7:22 PM
    Howdy !

When I moved , I bought a cheap telephone from Argos . Around 5
    Fair enough I thought as I use mobile most of the time . However , there are times when I think it's useful to have a landline rather than using mobile , such as press 1 for this. 2 for that . You get the picture.
    So, the telephone I have , is cheap ( obviously ) ..and nasty.
    I find that I have lots of excessive noise like being underwater and when I do talk the person at the other end sounds miles away .
    If I bang it , sometimes the problems are solved albeit temporarily .

Could someone please recommend a better quality phone , perhaps with hands free that isn't expensive ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Oct 19, 7:32 PM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 6,940 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:32 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:32 PM
    Erm you you have it on the end of a microfilter? if not then you internet will be suffering too, of course if you have a good phone socket with a built in filter then ignore me
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Oct 19, 7:41 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:41 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:41 PM
    Erm you you have it on the end of a microfilter? if not then you internet will be suffering too, of course if you have a good phone socket with a built in filter then ignore me
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Thanks for swift reply .
    It actually goes straight into the wall socket .
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 10th Oct 19, 7:50 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:50 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:50 PM
    I agree with debit's inferance, make sure you do not have a fault first!

Having said, bt 4600 comes out as a Which? Best buy at under 35 for a cordless.

Corded telephones tend to be a bit old hat but can be better quality. Bt decor 2600 at under 30 gets good reviews.

Bear in mind all phones that do not function on batteries or do not have battery backup to work fail if there is a power outage and even emergency calls cannot be made. Cordless often only have batteries in the handset and the base unit mains powered and then.....ooops, no comms!
    I cover that eventuality with an old non powered analogue phone!
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 10-10-2019 at 7:54 PM.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    • 2,945 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:51 PM
    Thanks for swift reply .
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Yes but if you have internet on the same line you need a microfilter otherwise, well, this happens.

Do you have internet on your home phone line or not?
    If you respond as "using wireless" from your mobile that would imply that you do, unless you are connecting to the mobile phone network but you need to specify how your phone is getting online.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 10th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 6,940 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 7:52 PM
    Thanks for swift reply .
    Does your router go into the same socket? or is the phone on an extension in another room
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Oct 19, 8:23 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 10th Oct 19, 8:23 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 8:23 PM
    Thanks folks for your useful advice as always . Sounds like I've probably done a basic mistake like not using the microfilter.
    Having said that , the phone goes into the master socket in the living room open reach 5c . The telephone is in one socket and the broadband in the other . Hope that makes sense ..
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Oct 19, 10:15 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 10th Oct 19, 10:15 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 10:15 PM
    It's not difficult to press 1,2, etc on a mobile phone........Sounds like you have an Openreach 5c master socket with a Mk4 faceplate. If this is correct then you shouldn't need a separate filter AFAIK.
    Hopefully someone can confirm or correct that...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • that
    • By that 10th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    that
    • 10th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    • 10th Oct 19, 10:16 PM
    Thanks folks for your useful advice as always . Sounds like I've probably done a basic mistake like not using the microfilter.
    Having said that , the phone goes into the master socket in the living room open reach 5c . The telephone is in one socket and the broadband in the other . Hope that makes sense ..
    a picture (or possibly in your case pictures) paints a thousand words.

the router has a different wall connection, rather than a bt one.

The actual router does not need a filter, but to stop noise going to the phone they must add a filter
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 11th Oct 19, 7:52 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    mksysb
    Unplug your router and try the phone. That way you cam eliminate the router/filter problems.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Oct 19, 8:50 AM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    another casualty
    Unplug your router and try the phone. That way you cam eliminate the router/filter problems.
    Originally posted by mksysb
    Thanks for that . Will do later .
    • Chino
    • By Chino 11th Oct 19, 10:38 AM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    Chino
    Sounds like you have an Openreach 5c master socket with a Mk4 faceplate. If this is correct then you shouldn't need a separate filter AFAIK.
    Hopefully someone can confirm or correct that...
    Originally posted by RumRat
    From BT Openreach New NTE5C Master Socket Faster Broadband?:
    Taking a filtered face plate apart reveals a complex set of filters.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 11th Oct 19, 1:58 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    RumRat
    Thanks for the confirmation....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Oct 19, 5:06 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    another casualty
    Well , I have learned a lot here in such a short time. I used the phone on its own and disconnected the internet . The phone worked fine .
    I then plugged the internet back in . Everything seems fine .
    I left for a few hours and checked again . All good .

Thanks to chino , I think I may have found the problem . The faceplate is very loose . It slides off too easily imho .
    Looks like I won't need a new phone after all . If things change , I'll report back .
    Thanks
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 11th Oct 19, 6:35 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    capital0ne
    or get a cheap mobile with actual buttons like a Nokia 1100 and a cheap payg sim total outlay 15!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 11th Oct 19, 6:46 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    Robisere
    I bought (probably) that cheap Argos phone you have, in order to test my own phone, which was having similar problems to your own. The Argos phone was fine, the other phone was faulty. Bought a new cordless and the problem was fixed. I think though that having a known good standby landline phone is handy.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 11th Oct 19, 6:53 PM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    another casualty
    or get a cheap mobile with actual buttons like a Nokia 1100 and a cheap payg sim total outlay 15!
    Originally posted by capital0ne
    Actually , in a roundabout way , you have a good point and suggestion Reason being , although I have an iPhone ( and all things apple ),
    It's an iPhone s e .
    I'm getting fed up with the crap battery life and think that maybe going back to basic may be the way to go . I do miss the Mexican hat dance ringtone of my old red rubber brick Nokia tho
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Oct 19, 7:50 PM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 6,940 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Originally posted by capital0ne
    Only problem with that is Oh dear my mobile is flat , and I have no electricity and I want to call the Leccy company, or the emergency services or even my mistresses at least a land line phone(not a wireless one that needs a base station) gets round most of these problems. If the phone line is also dead then Potus has pressed the wrong button or someone else has, Putin us this situation This post is not based on real people of course and is entirely fiction
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Oct 19, 11:51 AM
    • 4,335 Posts
    • 7,430 Thanks
    another casualty
    Thought I'd best give an update :
    Today I was still having trouble ,and there was no dealing tone at all.
    I made a call from my mobile to test and could hear nothing .
    So I phoned Vodafone ...

What happened then , I was chatting to a nice Egyptian lady who took care of me .
    I found a filter and plugged it into the wall , as the Bt openreach faceplate is defective . I was told that I could leave the filter as is , or for 3 I could have a replacement .
    I then asked if I could have this free as it is a fault not done by myself
    The outcome was that I have had 10 paid into my account for the inconvenience .
    This is because I am such a loyal customer . Well I have been with them since 1999 after all.

One thing to note tho:
    I complained to them as one of their advisers called me back and never even said my name . Just " mate " a few times . Totally slimy and unprofessional . Maybe that's why I also got the 10 bonus
    • J B
    • By J B 20th Oct 19, 9:42 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 1,363 Thanks
    J B
    One thing to note tho:
    I complained to them as one of their advisers called me back and never even said my name . Just " mate " a few times . Totally slimy and unprofessional . Maybe that's why I also got the 10 bonus

Call centre in Stoke?

They all say that ... surprised they didn't call you 'duck' or 'sug'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter