PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

To Let or Sell, that is the question.

Comments

• Sounds to me then that you might still want to keep going....

Nothing wrong with that...I think its not time to sell yet.

You'll know when the time is right.

Get another set of tenants.....
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You have a high turn over of tenants so with no section 21 that should mean that you don't get stuck with a tenant for years that you don't want.
  • Cakeguts wrote: »
    You have a high turn over of tenants so with no section 21 that should mean that you don't get stuck with a tenant for years that you don't want.

Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by this.....
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by this.....

I think what Categuts is saying is something like...

If the law changes so that it becomes harder for landlords to evict tenants that won't be a problem for you as they don't stay long anyway.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 October 2019 at 7:05AM
    I think what Categuts is saying is something like...

If the law changes so that it becomes harder for landlords to evict tenants that won't be a problem for you as they don't stay long anyway.

Well the first one went to prison and the second one left due to domestic violence. The present one is moving hundreds of miles away so that she can help an aging relative and is buying a house. So I don't think that is anything to do with my flat!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • I think we will continue to rent it out, at least for a while. We will keep a close eye on the politics and will evict to sell if necessary. Thanks all for your advice.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If it were me then I'd sell ,as much as I don't think a labour government would get in power it is always in the back of my mind.

I have one house I let and have excellent tenants and possibly will buy it sometime in the future but until then I'm happy to keep it , but if they were to move on it would go straight up for sale.

An empty property costs so what ever financial position you're in I still would hate shelling out for no reason

My properties are mortgage free and would rather have cash in the bank rather than in an empty property and all the problems that can bring
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I think we will continue to rent it out, at least for a while. We will keep a close eye on the politics and will evict to sell if necessary. Thanks all for your advice.

With a tenant that resists that could be months
  • With a tenant that resists that could be months

I understand that. It's a risk we will have to take.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
  • Just to update the thread: our tenant has now given notice and the flat will be available for rental on the 21st November. We have decided to re-let it and have started preparing for advertising it on OpenRent later today.

Thanks for all your advice.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure