Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 14th Sep 19, 12:21 PM
    • 315Posts
    • 159Thanks
    barnaclebill
    shock horror laptop almost failed
    • 14th Sep 19, 12:21 PM
    shock horror laptop almost failed 14th Sep 19 at 12:21 PM
    my old trusty inspiron 1720 stopped working mid session then on re boot said it could not find desktop.
    Left it for 30 minutes and it has restarted ok, have just copied all my saved passwords (been meaning to do that for months).
    It has been very good, new 1 tb hard drive fitted four years ago when I changed to windows 7 from vista, it has an excellent 17" high def screen and so good I had been thinking of changing to windows 10 but after this it will be a new or recon computer, this was a Dell second on ebay about 10 years ago so quite happy to go that route again.
    OK main question, not a lot of spare cash as now on pension and some car bills looming, just used for basic surfing but do like a good screen at least a 15".
    Any ideas welcome
Page 1
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Sep 19, 1:11 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:11 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 1:11 PM
    Looking forward, ideally one looks for a Full HD IPS screen and the ability to boot from PCIe SSD.
    Of course it all depends on your budget.

If it is to be a static device, you can get much bigger Full HD screen with PCs and All In Ones.

How much would you like to spend? Don't spend more than you can afford. There will always be something usable within your budget.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 14th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 14th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    I used to have one of these, built like a tank, heavy as a bag of bricks, and thicker than an anti-vaxxer

If you were happy with the performance of the 1720 then to be frank anything produced within the last 5 years will be as fast, so focus on build quality, screen, that kind of thing.
    Last edited by stragglebod; 14-09-2019 at 7:15 PM.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 14th Sep 19, 7:00 PM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:00 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:00 PM
    If your browser is Firefox, passwords are accessible from Tools-Options - Privacy and security - Logins and Passwords - Saved Logins - Show Passwords.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 14th Sep 19, 7:01 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    indianabones
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:01 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:01 PM
    Honestly if all you're doing is surfing, anything will work. Begs the question if you need a laptop/notebook at all because you could use a tablet for browsing the net as well.

But if you do decide to go for a laptop, I'd go for something in the 200-220 ball park and I'd go new rather than 2nd hand for that price. I'm in IT and this is one of the areas I work in. I would recommend Lenovo right now. The build quality, the testing, the reliability and the value for money is the best on the market.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Sep 19, 7:50 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:50 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 7:50 PM
    Honestly if all you're doing is surfing, anything will work. Begs the question if you need a laptop/notebook at all because you could use a tablet for browsing the net as well.

But if you do decide to go for a laptop, I'd go for something in the 200-220 ball park and I'd go new rather than 2nd hand for that price. I'm in IT and this is one of the areas I work in. I would recommend Lenovo right now. The build quality, the testing, the reliability and the value for money is the best on the market.
    Originally posted by indianabones
    Oh no...not someone else who works "in IT"

Perhaps you can link to a few devices, for 200 to 220, that you would recommend.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th Sep 19, 8:09 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 14th Sep 19, 8:09 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 8:09 PM
    Perhaps you can link to a few devices, for 200 to 220, that you would recommend.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I too doubt anything new in the 200 to 220 range is worth while.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 14th Sep 19, 8:39 PM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 6,940 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 14th Sep 19, 8:39 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 8:39 PM
    I would buy 5 if they're any good I used to work in IT and am prepared to have my gob smacked
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th Sep 19, 9:26 PM
    • 21,564 Posts
    • 15,809 Thanks
    molerat
    • 14th Sep 19, 9:26 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 9:26 PM
    Maybe op's machine just needs a good hoovering out.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 14th Sep 19, 9:31 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 2,376 Thanks
    Carrot007
    ideally one looks for a Full HD IPS screen
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

Well..., where as with Full HD I would agree (unless something ridiculously small, and even then it's a nicety). IPS? Maybe depends on needs there are advantages and diadvantages to all the screen displays. Which one you go for is not so simple. but feel free to keep generalising with no clarification.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 14th Sep 19, 9:33 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 2,376 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

No reason for new and crap over second hand and far better is there?

Some people seem to have issues there but they are not founded.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 14th Sep 19, 10:12 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    indianabones
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

For web browsing? Remember, the user said he only uses it for browsing the net. Can you explain why you think the most basic of system wouldn't be worth his while.

He can consider buying 2nd hand and he'll get something that'll do the job for a fraction of the cost. But if he wants new he doesn't need to spend anything big.

I'd say he'd be completely fine with a tablet/chromebook as well.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 14th Sep 19, 10:30 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Thanks for the replies, I will look at the available new and used.
    The old girl is working well at present but this morning has made me realise nothing lasts forever.
    Just one more question if I do a file back up will that include my MS office, and Norton 360 that will install on win 10, I have two 1 tb external drives that do not have much on them, the WD one has a backup program that I have never used. I know win 7 has a built in backup that can do a mirror image that would be no good for win 10 or it can do file back up.
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 14th Sep 19, 10:51 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    tonyh66
    No it will not backup office or Norton they will need to be reinstalled , you will need the key for office. Do you pay for Norton, there are better free alternatives.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 14th Sep 19, 11:00 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    chrisw
    If you're happy with your current machine you may not need to replace it.

It could have been a one off glitch or maybe the hard drive is in its way out, even though it was replaced four years ago. Consider replacing the hard drive with a SSD for increased speed and it will feel like a new machine.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 15th Sep 19, 1:05 AM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Well..., where as with Full HD I would agree (unless something ridiculously small, and even then it's a nicety). IPS? Maybe depends on needs there are advantages and diadvantages to all the screen displays. Which one you go for is not so simple. but feel free to keep generalising with no clarification.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Do you feel yours is a worthwhile contribution or is there no one around with whom you can communicate, so you just felt like writing something...anything?

I wrote "ideally". He stated that he likes a "good screen". No need for me to write a treatise on the different kinds of screens available, nor about the pros and cons of buying a device that boots from PCIe SSD. It was general advice.

Now feel free to quote someone else, since I really have no interest in having aimless dialogue with you. If the OP comes back with a budget, we'll see what is available.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 15th Sep 19, 11:08 AM
    • 15,860 Posts
    • 83,499 Thanks
    GDB2222
    I'll just have my 2p worth:

1. You ought to have some sort of backup regime, anyway. Try using backup and sync from Google, and store your stuff in the cloud.

2. I don't see why you need a laptop. Why not just use a desktop? The big advantage is that, when something goes wrong, you just replace that bit. With your laptop, you are throwing out a really nice screen, just because you are having a problem with the processor part.

You might look at this refurbished Dell PC for 70
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-optiplex-3010-desktop-only-69-3293010

Plus, you'll need a screen. The same website sells a secondhand screen for 100-ish, or you could look around and get something new for not much more.

I'd recommend buying an SSD to replace the hard disk, but I'm not sure what size you need.

Anyway, you can get this all done for under 300, and you're pretty well set for the future.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 15th Sep 19, 11:18 AM
    • 15,860 Posts
    • 83,499 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Just found a perfectly usable monitor for 80, new.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072Z8PPWZ/ref=twister_B07W5HBX68?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

It does seem to me that the sweet spot for value is in a desktop, rather than a laptop, at the moment.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 16th Sep 19, 12:49 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Use Macrium Reflect to make a backup, the free version is more than capable.

I am inclined to think that perhaps a Windows Update has gone bad. Or perhaps your current installation of Windows could be corrupt. But if you are getting a new drive or computer, then don't worry too much about this - just grab your files with Macrium.

Although your hard drive is only four years old, that doesn't mean it can't fail, even if it does seem to be a short life. I would replace with a SATA SSD, but don't cheap out too much on these if you can help it. I swear by Samsung SSD drives and have yet to personally see a failed one, even after a hard life.

This being a forum focussed on saving money, I've suggested a SATA SSD as this is the cheaper option. However there is such a thing as throwing good money after bad. If the drive is all that is wrong laptop, I would buy the SSD. However it might be time for a new computer if other things are starting to show their age, such as the keyboard, trackpad, dim display, DVD drive.
    Last edited by poppellerant; 16-09-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 16th Sep 19, 12:51 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If you never use a webcam or are happy to use an external when you do, this might be worth a closer look; https://mcscom.co.uk/product/dell-inspiron-15-5548-i7-5500u-2-4ghz-16gb-256gb-ssd-radeon-r7-m270-15-6-fhd-touchscreen-win-10-30day-rtb-wty-mgl953/

Incredibly high spec for the money. Caveat emptor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,869Users online

Martin's Twitter