Quit..rest ..restart . Diary no.3

Comments

• Felt groggy this morning . Weather miserable . I did manage to get my haircut . I then went to dolphin shopping centre to get new trainers , some light bulbs and one or two other things .
    That was hard work and annoying .

I went into Clark’s . Tried on one pair in the sale . Not right so I moved along to...jd sports . I have to be honest but I detest these type of shops antway. Unless you’re under 21 you are old and crusty.
    I looked at the various trainers in sale and asked the “shop assistant” for size 12 in the three trainers I gave him .
    I.managed to try on one pair that was in my size. They didn’t have the bling , but were all black . Black is not uncool.
    So I was pointed to the cash out . There was a couple in front of me and the were faffing about with baseball caps . The woman behind the counter was robotic and ..very slow . So slow that over 5 mins had passed. I just walked away . No loss .

So I looked in ROBERT dyass and wilko for light bulbs . Selection was dire , but way too expensive . I may ask my friend where he gets his light bulbs from . I may even go online . In London ryness was the place to go . Very knowledgeable . Not the cheapest , but you bought with confidence .

I’ve just had to go 9nline and order a couple of pairs of trainers from Clark’s . Next day delivery . No sale price with these , but if they fit right then this is the way forward.

One thing I am after and not sure where to go : those small toys where you squeeze the sides of the body and the toy is attached to a pen etc. Can’t remember the name of them . I looked in Clinton’s but nothing in there. Maybe paperchase or someone does them .
    I had a few lost in the move . One was a little mouse which was dressed in a baseball kit complete with bat. These toys are about 5he size of my finger .

Anyway that’s that . I’m waiting in tomorrow for home deliveries from m&s and Clark’s . Hopefully not all day . I paid the plevin cheque into nationwide so no need to go to poole for a while anyway.

I aim to go to the gym on Friday . Tomorrow if deliveries are really early . Next week should get me back to three days a week there .
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Another place you could try for those toys is Hawkin's Bazaar. They do a lot of random stuff. We used to use them to get stocking fillers.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 January 2018 at 5:49PM
    AC. Had to laugh at your shopping woes..,

This week is not a good week for retail therapy, kids still off school etc, shops rammed. You might get on better if you wait till next week when all the kids are back at school and life is back to normal.

I have to confess to being an online shopping convert. So much easier. I don’t mind rummaging round a street market or a nice little independent boutique type shop but I loathe and detest the big chain multiples and avoid them like the plague.

As for shopping malls.......they make me feel nauseous at the mere thought of them, noisy, garish, full of tat, fast food joints and chavs......no thanks. Yes I’m a snob!!! and I don’t care.:D

Managed to flood my kitchen on New Years night. Left the tap running whilst I wandered off.......thankfully it’s drying out ok with no,long term damage. Thank goodness for my dehumidifier......

Good to see you getting back to the gym.....keep it up.
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 6:25PM
    Hope the kitchen is ok LL.
    Yes I think that onlinr shopping is the way to go. While you are in the Amazon , I’ll be shopping there also .
    Regarding the dehumidifier : does it cost much to run over the yesr? A friend of mine thinks I should get a timer plug for it .

Gigervamp , I did think of Hawkins bazaar . May try it . I cannot remember the name of the thing I’m after tho.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    My dehumidifier has an automatic eco facility, basically it detects moisture levels and then adjust itself at the appropriate setting. If it’s happy with the atmosphere then it switches itself off. Clever piece of kit. :rotfl:

Cost wise then obviously when it’s romping away at full belt then yes our energy monitor scares me to death, but in eco mode it’s a lot less scary. I haven’t actually isolated the running costs. TBH things like kettles, hairdryers, tumble dryers, irons and electric ovens are probably just as greedy if not more so.

Yesterday I had to wash and tumble dry the kitchen floor rugs, as well as all the towels I had used for mopping up, plus using the kitchen fan and the dehumidifier. I had those machines running continuously for hours. The usage yesterday was more than double my usual amount. But at least I didn’t have to throw the rugs away and the kitchen is drying out nicely.

The dehumidifier has already switched back to eco mode and even switched off for a while this afternoon so I guess the humidity levels must be back to normal.

I know you have issues with condensation, is your dehumidifier helping.
  • Good point about 5he other electrics we take for granted .
    Yes, my dehumidifier is helping . I don’t put it onto any other settings other than the basic smart setting that it recommends .
    It’s an eBac similar to yours . It seems to have stabilised now .
    One of 5he easiest things to use. Just gotta remember to get some filters for it and remember to change in the spring .
  • Why not buy bulbs from a supermarket ?
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 9:34PM
    Why not buy bulbs from a supermarket ?

I may well do that :)
    One or two are not bayonet . One is an 18 watt.
    I thought wilko would have a large stock., as with robert dyas
    I was wrong
    Thanks debs
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm pretty sure you can get ES (Edison Screw) bulbs in supermarkets.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    We get most of our bulbs from B and Q or screwfix. Have you tried there?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure