TravelGirl84's DFD

Comments

• Just read your diary, hope you don't mind me dropping in. Awesome progress made in such a short time, well done!
    I'm also a big fan of chopped frozen food, our freezer always has chilli/garlic/ginger/onions. They're so and I was always throwing these items out when buying fresh so definitely saving money and reducing waste in our house by buying frozen.

Hi Dancing!

Thanks for reading and popping in to comment :)

I like the idea of frozen ginger. I really want to try using it in food but again, I would end up throwing most of it out. I'll have a look and see if I can find any, or if not maybe chop and freeze my own. Freezing food will definitely reduce food waste for me. I have alot of frozen veg in my freezer but I never use it. I need to be inspired I think in general with veg!
  • Hi All

Hope you've been having a good weekend.

I went up to my friends Friday/Saturday with a budget of £50 and spent £40! :j Spent £25 on food and drink, £5 on coffee and cake, £5 on some posh wrapping paper to put in frames for my bathroom and £5 on a scarf because apparently October is not jean jacket season! I also spent a little bit on the Operation Christmas Child box I am doing, but this comes out of my Christmas budget. The £10 I didn't spend I have sent to another bank to pay off of the B/Card.

Haven't spent any money today. Just been in watching two Christmas films and feeling a bit meh. Managed to dodge the pizza delivery I was looking at and cooked from stores.

Next week should be pretty low spend. Will be whatever I spend at work and not much else, maybe just some milk. I already have enough dinners in the freezer and I'm eating at my parents one night.

Should have money left at the end of the week to split probably between a bit of extra money for next month and paying off the B/Card.

Hope everyone has a good week.

TG
  • You are actual winner winner chicken dinner at the moment, that's a HUGE number in two months, you should be VERY proud!
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
  • You are actual winner winner chicken dinner at the moment, that's a HUGE number in two months, you should be VERY proud!

Thanks Coffee! At the moment I have moments of feeling proud, but then moments of 'but there's so far to go'!
  • TravelGirl84
    TravelGirl84 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 27 October 2019 at 9:08PM
    Hi All!

So payday was Friday and I came into the next pay month with £105 left from last month :j This is due to being away for a week so I saved on food and petrol, but I did also have some general spends left. I have put it in a 'debts' pot as I would like to use it to pay off the B/Card, but I am mulling over the following:
    - November is a busy month socially and my spreadsheet is saying that if I spend as planned then I won't have enough in the bank, so the money tucked away would help out if I can't manage to decrease some of those spends. I have already managed to decrease it a little as I over budgeted for my hair cut and colour, so £11 (I think) saved there.
    - I'm considering going back to the gym. It is £32 a month which is what is holding me back, but I think it might be really good for my mental health, as well as of course my physical health. I'm feeling pretty stressed with over worrying about a few things at the moment, so it might help clear the mind. I'd like to keep running but with the winter coming up I know it will be a struggle to push myself to go out in the cold. If I went twice a week then that's £4 a session, which doesn't sound so bad. My Mum has also just been diagnosed with Osteoporosis, and whilst that isn't life threatening, it's just got me thinking about health a bit more.
    - I am doing a trial Ariel Hoop class this week (incase I decide to run off to the circus :rotfl:). The trial is free, but it's £60 for 6 weeks. I could use the money for this but I would have to really love it. I've wanted to do something like this for ages so we will see. However, £60 every 6 weeks going forward might be a bit of a struggle.
    - Spending the £100 on something other than debts however is kind of annoying, because that's what I'd really like to do.

Plans for this month:
    - I can now start Christmas shopping. I am going to spend less this year and I really don't want to buy rubbish for people anymore, so I'm going to try and be a bit more creative. I also want to try and buy from actual shops rather than online, at least for the most part. I have asked some of my friends whether we should do presents or maybe secret santa instead this year. If we go for secret santa I reckon I can save £20 there. For my other group of friends we are going to do a £10 scratchcard each this year which we will do on our night out, which I think will be really fun and take the pressure off of people. It will also save me another fiver. I have organised Operation Christmas Child at work this year which always works out more then I think, but I am staying as close to the budget as possible. A little bit over is fine though, considering I will be sending gifts to much less fortunate children.
    - Food wise I've got five meals in the freezer, plus bits and pieces for more meals. Tonight I am making stuffed peppers which I might also take to work tomorrow for lunch. I am going to try using Quorn mince again. A couple of my good friends are vegan and whilst I don't plan to become even vegetarian, they cook such lovely food, so I am going to try and do something similar myself. The 500g pack of Quorn mince was also cheaper at £2 for 500g *EDIT - turns out the pack was 300g*. During my food shop yesterday I bought the frozen chopped onions I mentioned in another post. It was £1 for 500g which should last me a while and will be cheaper, plus mean less food waste.
    - Took lots of old clothes to the charity bins yesterday. Still got some other bits to take to the tip and stuff that I want tot try and sell. Not sure that will be this month though.
    - Really not sure I am going to be able to pay off my B/card by the end of the year, especially if I don't use the £100 from last month. I could use my January salary which I get paid on the 19th Dec this year. If that pays if off then I technically have paid it off before the end of the year, but it is with next years money lol.

I just realised I keep writing long posts. This place is like a massive brain dump for me which I think is a good thing.

Lastly, I have been living in my flat for two years next week. I have owned my own home and paid the bills all by myself. I'm pretty proud of that (despite the debt - though I have never paid for bills on credit).

Have a good week all!
  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well done on going into a new month with money spare from the last payday. How good does that feel? Like you i am also considering gym (which i have been for way too long without actually joining haha:rotfl:). It will do me good i sometimes think it would give me such a boost mentally to do it, so will do it soon...maybe!

Long posts are good, its feels easier writing it all out here than overthinking stuff, I find it very theraputic to do.

Congratulations on keeping up the flat and bills despite the pressures of trying to stick to budgets

Have a fab week :)

PS - Good luck in the circus:)
  • Well done on going into a new month with money spare from the last payday. How good does that feel? Like you i am also considering gym (which i have been for way too long without actually joining haha:rotfl:). It will do me good i sometimes think it would give me such a boost mentally to do it, so will do it soon...maybe!

Long posts are good, its feels easier writing it all out here than overthinking stuff, I find it very theraputic to do.

Congratulations on keeping up the flat and bills despite the pressures of trying to stick to budgets

Have a fab week :)

PS - Good luck in the circus:)

Thanks Dan! Can't believe I've been here two years!

I've managed to stay in budget for quite a few months now, but not by this much. I know it was because I was away for a week, but usually I would use that money to spend on holiday, and this time I didn't :T

At the moment my gym has 3 months free if you pay for the year upfront (I think you actully pay for 10 and get 3 for free), but unfortunately I don't have a spare £300 odd quid. Definitely considering the gym though.

I think the long posts will be staying. Unless the circus calls me :rotfl:

Have a good week also!
  • TravelGirl84
    TravelGirl84 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 28 October 2019 at 12:24AM
    I'm turning 35 next month. Some people would say that 35 isn't a special birthday, but I think all birthdays are special, and for me this one seems significant, being mid-30s and thinking about what I want to achieve before I am 40.

One of my big goals is to be debt free, and I just realised that the payday just gone at the end of October marks the 1st day of the next five years of this goal, because I want all debts to be cleared by the end of and including the money in my October payday in 2024. That sounds like a long time away, but it means from now, if I want/need to spread it equally, I would have to pay £495 a month. A couple of points to this is that if I can overpay my bank loan at some point then the interest will come down, so that monthly figure might be less, but also I can't afford to start paying that much yet - maybe from Jan but we will see.

On top of this there are so many places I want to see - Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali, maybe India, go on Safari, do more city breaks in Europe - Lisbon is top of the list at the moment, and actually maybe see more of the UK - Cornwall for example.

Between now and 40 I also imagine that I'll be looking at moving, though I'm not sure where, but somewhere with two bedrooms.

I may also have to squeeze in a new car in a few years as I've done 45 thousand miles in just over two years. I don't know how I would pay for a car without it being on credit, I don't see how I could afford that on top of everything else, but I could put it on my list of something I might need.

I should also think about an emergency fund!

I know some of this may be off the MSE topic, but really alot of stuff comes down to money to do these things. Prioritising what I want to do and what I want to save for is so important and if i can keep these things in focus, maybe I can achieve them, partly by keeping costs low in other areas. I know over the 5 years my situation could change and 5 years is a long time to keep focus, but whatever my situation, be it job, salary, relationship status, whether I decide I want to start a family or not, I really want to try and achieve the things I want to. What I want to achieve might change over time, but the best place to start is what I want to achieve at the moment.

What I don't want to happen is to become obsessed with all this and send myself in to stress and panic attacks!

What I have noticed about the above is that I'm not after lots of 'things'. This is where a lifestyle choice comes in to play a bit more I think. Whilst I know I will want and need some 'things', I'm not really after the £1000 TV or the latest handbag, I'm after experiences, a nice home and a car that will run and last (I currently do 100 miles a day). I know I have lots of these things already and I'm grateful for them, but building on them is important to me.

I'm going to get cracking on my list!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    A 5 year plan is a good idea. We always had one where we costed up big things we needed like a replacement car or large house project or holiday and we reviewed our retirement plans along the way too. It is always good to have goals as that gives you an incentive to manage your money better. Less frivolous spends means more money saved for the big things you want so in your case getting rid of the debt which is a massive obstacle in your way.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Happy two year-iversary in your place! I'm also in firm agreement that having goals is great, even if when written down in black and white they don't often seem cohesive with debt busting. But life is short, and everyone takes their own journeys to debt free, and if you want to live and travel along the way that's great! Some do, some don't, but the important thing is you are enjoying your life, and paying your debts, and not going crackers in the process.

I am also in the do I don't I gym limbo at the moment. I want to go, but I hate it, and I'm worried it will just be a complete waste of money. But if you know you'll go, and you know you'll feel great, I say go for it. Good luck on the hoop, that sounds way more fun than the gym.
    Paid - 7095/26218 - Total
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport