Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 14th Sep 19, 12:21 PM
    • 315Posts
    • 159Thanks
    barnaclebill
    shock horror laptop almost failed
    • 14th Sep 19, 12:21 PM
    shock horror laptop almost failed 14th Sep 19 at 12:21 PM
    my old trusty inspiron 1720 stopped working mid session then on re boot said it could not find desktop.
    Left it for 30 minutes and it has restarted ok, have just copied all my saved passwords (been meaning to do that for months).
    It has been very good, new 1 tb hard drive fitted four years ago when I changed to windows 7 from vista, it has an excellent 17" high def screen and so good I had been thinking of changing to windows 10 but after this it will be a new or recon computer, this was a Dell second on ebay about 10 years ago so quite happy to go that route again.
    OK main question, not a lot of spare cash as now on pension and some car bills looming, just used for basic surfing but do like a good screen at least a 15".
    Any ideas welcome
Page 2
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Sep 19, 1:32 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    17.3" Full HD screen; https://mcscom.co.uk/product/dell-inspiron-17-5767-i5-7200u-2-50ghz-8gb-256gb-ssd-dvd-rw-radeon-r7-m445-17-3-fhd-win-10-30day-rtb-wty-xmln954-free-wallet-case/

Ok for value. Though not keen on the short warranty.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 28th Sep 19, 12:09 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    As it is still working ok I am considering fitting an SSD, as this laptop has two bays could I fit the SSD in the second bay and do a clean install of Win 10 to it, run the system from there and use the old drive still in place for back ups.

Would also increase ram to 4gb
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 28th Sep 19, 1:23 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    As it is still working ok I am considering fitting an SSD, as this laptop has two bays could I fit the SSD in the second bay and do a clean install of Win 10 to it, run the system from there and use the old drive still in place for back ups.

Would also increase ram to 4gb
    Originally posted by barnaclebill
    Depends on whether you can boot from the second bay. Otherwise, do it the other way around. Remove old drive, replace with new SSD, clean install Windows 10 to it. Fit old drive to second bay.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 19th Oct 19, 12:28 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Some questions about my intended upgrades.
    download win10 to a USB stick (CPU is 64 bit but present win 7 is 32bit so do I go for 64 or 32?)
    remove present HD and fit SSD 500
    remove the 1 GB memory and fit a 2GB module so will have 4GB total
    Power up set to USB so Win10 should install
    Is that all or am I missing something
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 19th Oct 19, 2:14 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Some questions about my intended upgrades.
    download win10 to a USB stick (CPU is 64 bit but present win 7 is 32bit so do I go for 64 or 32?)
    remove present HD and fit SSD 500
    remove the 1 GB memory and fit a 2GB module so will have 4GB total
    Power up set to USB so Win10 should install
    Is that all or am I missing something
    Fit the RAM.
    Download and create 32 bit media;
    Visit the Microsoft Media Creation Tool website
    Click Download Tool Now.
    Save the Application.
    Plug your USB Flash Drive into the PC where you saved the application.
    Run the Application.
    Accept the EULA
    Select Create installation media for another PC and click Next.
    Choose the correct settings for your version of Windows 10
    Language (Country)
    Windows 10
    32-bit (x86)
    Click Next.
    Select USB Flash Drive and click Next.
    Select the Flash Drive and click Next.
    Allow the application to complete. You will be prompted when it is finished and has successfully created the bootable drive.
    Use the gatherosstate method to produce a GenuineTicket.xml https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html
    Store the GenuineTicket.xml file somewhere safe.
    Download and create 64 bit media, overwriting the 32 bit media that you created earlier.
    Install SSD to HDD bay.
    Install Windows 10 64 bit and activate it with the Genuine Ticket.

Do you remember how you moved from Vista to Windows 7? Did you buy a separate licence or an Upgrade key?

That key might work for activating Windows 10 on it's own, but if it doesn't you'll need to start all over again. So probably best to use the method above.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 19th Oct 19, 4:41 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I think original RAM is PC5300. You can pick up a 2 GB module for 2; https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=smem9ddh

On the other hand, you can snap in a 4 GB module, costing 18; https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smemlap4gb2002, in order to take it to 6 GB. I wouldn't bother.

Dependent on the CPU involved, you might buy 2 x 2 GB PC6400 for 4 instead; https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smemje9gh
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 19th Oct 19, 9:59 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Thanks EveryWhere, CPU is Core2 duo T7300 2.00 Ghz, max ram is stated as 4 GB, 2GB under the keyboard and 2GB in a hatch on the back, will have to check which is the 1GB.
    I do have the key for the win 7.
    Just one other thing, I need to be administrator to do this so I checked and could not find the option to be admin so on the hard drive under security I ticked all the boxes for me as "user" will this be enough and be accepted?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 20th Oct 19, 5:10 AM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thanks EveryWhere, CPU is Core2 duo T7300 2.00 Ghz, max ram is stated as 4 GB, 2GB under the keyboard and 2GB in a hatch on the back, will have to check which is the 1GB.
    I do have the key for the win 7.
    Just one other thing, I need to be administrator to do this so I checked and could not find the option to be admin so on the hard drive under security I ticked all the boxes for me as "user" will this be enough and be accepted?
    The RAM limit is as I stated, 6 GB.
    You needn't have done anything other than right clicking on the gatherosstate file and choosing Run As Adminstrator.
    You did not answer the question about the product key. Though it doesn't matter if you are using the GenuineTicket method.

2 x 2 GB PC6400 for 4 would be the optimal choice; https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=smemje9gh But then you would need to remove the keyboard. So pick up a 2 GB PC5300 module for 2; https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=smem9ddh

Probably not worth the spending of 18 to take it to 6 GB.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 24th Oct 19, 11:50 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    OK EveryWhere 2 x 2 GB PC6400 installed, Win 10 32 bit downloaded on memory stick and genuine ticket made and saved on another memstick.
    Waiting for delivery of SSD so just to confirm I need to down load Win 10 64 bit overwriting the 32 bit.
    If I understand this was because my Win 7 is 32 bit so needed to produce the genuine ticket like that but the genuine ticket will still activate the Win10 64 bit I am going to make now?
    I have studied the tutorial on installing the Win10 and making the folder for the genuine ticket.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 24th Oct 19, 6:04 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    OK EveryWhere 2 x 2 GB PC6400 installed, Win 10 32 bit downloaded on memory stick and genuine ticket made and saved on another memstick.
    Waiting for delivery of SSD so just to confirm I need to down load Win 10 64 bit overwriting the 32 bit.
    If I understand this was because my Win 7 is 32 bit so needed to produce the genuine ticket like that but the genuine ticket will still activate the Win10 64 bit I am going to make now?
    I have studied the tutorial on installing the Win10 and making the folder for the genuine ticket.
    Correct. You just need to create 64 bit installation media for the actual installation.
    Once you have installed the 64 bit version of Windows 10 to the laptop, you can use the GenuineTicket.xml file to activate it.

I have no idea as to which edition of Windows 10 you will/should install, since you have proved unable to answer any questions with regard to the Windows 7 key/edition installed.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 24th Oct 19, 6:54 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    poppellerant
    The laptop might have a Windows 7 sticker underneath showing the key and the edition that it is for. For the sake of quickly flipping the laptop over and quickly looking, it could save a lot of time in the long run.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 24th Oct 19, 8:31 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    ^^

It was delivered with Vista pre-installed.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 24th Oct 19, 8:56 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    poppellerant
    ^^

It was delivered with Vista pre-installed.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    I thought that most laptops carried the sticker containing the key and supporting product from Microsoft? I could be wrong, but I've seen them since the days of XP.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 24th Oct 19, 9:21 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Looking in "system" I have Windows 7 home premium. And the Key number is there also

Checking the internet a couple of places say one way to check if 32 or 64 is with the program files folders if just one it is 32 bit if two folders the program file will be 64 and the X86 is the 32 therefore it is a 64 bit windows.
    I have two folders but the "program file" is empty, all my programs are in the X86 folder.
    I suppose it does not matter now as I am installing Win 10 64 bit on the SSD when received.
    Looking on the internet I was surprised there was no easy way to tell, thanks for all the help up to now
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 24th Oct 19, 9:46 PM
    • 15,831 Posts
    • 83,476 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Looking in "system" I have Windows 7 home premium. And the Key number is there also

Checking the internet a couple of places say one way to check if 32 or 64 is with the program files folders if just one it is 32 bit if two folders the program file will be 64 and the X86 is the 32 therefore it is a 64 bit windows.
    I have two folders but the "program file" is empty, all my programs are in the X86 folder.
    I suppose it does not matter now as I am installing Win 10 64 bit on the SSD when received.
    Looking on the internet I was surprised there was no easy way to tell, thanks for all the help up to now
    This works for me:

Right click on the This PC icon, and select properties.

I'm on W10, but I'm 99% sure it's similar in W7.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 24th Oct 19, 11:16 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere

So you'll need to install Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

You almost certainly had Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit installed.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 25th Oct 19, 9:25 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    A question about backups, just wondering what will be available from my backups made on win 7 32 bit, eg will anything from Firefox such as my passwords be available.
    With a clean win 10 I will need a browser to start, believe it comes with edge so I would need to use that to get firefox for 64 bit
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 25th Oct 19, 10:30 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    A question about backups, just wondering what will be available from my backups made on win 7 32 bit, eg will anything from Firefox such as my passwords be available.
    With a clean win 10 I will need a browser to start, believe it comes with edge so I would need to use that to get firefox for 64 bit
    Export your Browser Favourites/Bookmarks/Profile before swapping drives; https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles

You can use Google Search to find out how to do the same with other Browsers.
    Once you have completed your new install, you can then Import the Profile to the Browser.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 25th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Export your Browser Favourites/Bookmarks/Profile before swapping drives; https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

Better still use firefox sync and have it keep all your password setc in the cloud.

Same with chrome.

No other browsers worth using! (and I only use chrome for when sites get upset with all the addones I use on firefox, for example a credit card application went around in circles.

Why make life hard for yourself. Paranoia, well such things are safe enough and and fraud would be eventually refunded. Not seen any though. And if your were that bothered only save your unimportant sites, you know the 99% where they really don't matter.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 25th Oct 19, 10:56 PM
    • 2,982 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Better still use firefox sync and have it keep all your password setc in the cloud.

Same with chrome.

No other browsers worth using! (and I only use chrome for when sites get upset with all the addones I use on firefox, for example a credit card application went around in circles.

Why make life hard for yourself. Paranoia, well such things are safe enough and and fraud would be eventually refunded. Not seen any though. And if your were that bothered only save your unimportant sites, you know the 99% where they really don't matter.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Almost needless to state that I don't agree....

Important: Sync is not a data backup service. Users should continue to perform regular backups of their Firefox profiles to prevent loss of data.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-sync-my-computer

That from Mozilla themselves.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,135Posts Today

9,327Users online

Martin's Twitter