I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help!

GangBusters
GangBusters Posts: 39 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 September 2019 at 12:24PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I worked in Tesco for 6 months then the Army for 1 year but since leaving the Army due to mental health after a family tragedy sent me into depression, I've been unemployed for the last 10 years so that's literally all the work experience I have, oh and I'm 30 years old.

I've been to two job interviews, one for Morrisons and another for Tesco and I wasn't successful in either of them. I'm absolutely certain it's because A) I've been unemployed for 10 years and B) because I've had a long term mental health condition which is instantly a red flag to 99% of employers.

I'm really trying to turn my life around, I'm a nice person, I'm super hard working and just want a chance... It took so much courage for me to apply for those two jobs as they were social based (customer service) but now I'm thinking to try a different area, perhaps warehouse?

I was thinking to get myself a forklift licence but they're not cheap... The problem isn't the money, the problem is even if I get it and start applying for jobs, my 10 years unemployment gap will negate the active steps I'm taking to get back to work.

I can't even really lie on my CV because employers are always checking references these days... I feel like I really have no option but to just gamble with lies. The way I see it is I can be honest (such a meme) and not get employed, or I can lie and have a chance at getting employed...

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    What have you actually being doing for 10 years?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • ohreally wrote: »
    What have you actually being doing for 10 years?

Depression...

Sitting on my !!! feeling sorry for myself moaning that the world isn't fair... However after finally accepting that something has to change for me to get out of this cycle, I've decided that a job is that thing.

I'm so ready to get back to work, I'm genuinely tired and bored of being unemployed.
  • You could always say you were self employed
  • Voluntary work can give you current work experience and a work-related reference. It doesn't have to be anything like the work you end up doing but it will help demonstrate the 'soft skills' employers like, like time-keeping and getting on with people.

Jobcentre or local council may be able to point you towards local employability schemes that help people return to work (and in some cases they will pay for qualifications like fork lift). They might also arrange work trials/experience with employers and give you mock interview training etc.

If you're on benefits your local further education college may offer a fee waiver on short or non-certificated courses, which can help brush up your skills and also demonstrate you can work and achieve something.

It won't happen overnight, but keep working at it and you could be in a much more optimistic situation in several months' time.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • I worked in Tesco for 6 months then the Army for 1 year but since leaving the Army due to mental health after a family tragedy sent me into depression, I've been unemployed for the last 10 years so that's literally all the work experience I have, oh and I'm 30 years old.

I've been to two job interviews, one for Morrisons and another for Tesco and I wasn't successful in either of them. I'm absolutely certain it's because A) I've been unemployed for 10 years and B) because I've had a long term mental health condition which is instantly a red flag to 99% of employers.

I'm really trying to turn my life around, I'm a nice person, I'm super hard working and just want a chance... It took so much courage for me to apply for those two jobs as they were social based (customer service) but now I'm thinking to try a different area, perhaps warehouse?

I was thinking to get myself a forklift licence but they're not cheap... The problem isn't the money, the problem is even if I get it and start applying for jobs, my 10 years unemployment gap will negate the active steps I'm taking to get back to work.

I can't even really lie on my CV because employers are always checking references these days... I feel like I really have no option but to just gamble with lies. The way I see it is I can be honest (such a meme) and not get employed, or I can lie and have a chance at getting employed...

Its been two weeks since your first post and I suggested agency work to start with....how many have you contacted?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Absolutely get into volunteering. Have you any repair skills and can volunteer at a repair cafe? if you wish to work in retail then volunteer at a charity shop.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with Owain Moneysaver. You've been out of work for 10 years due to depression and any employer will rightly be concerned you won't be able to cope with the working environment. I'd recommend getting some volunteering under your belt. That'll at least prove you can cope with the pressures of a workplace and would make you vastly more employable.
  • fewgroats
    fewgroats Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 September 2019 at 8:01AM
    And they say the days of the army wanting "cannon fodder" are over. Absolutely no after care given, it seems.
    Advent Challenge: Money made: £0. Days to Christmas: 59.
  • Its been two weeks since your first post and I suggested agency work to start with....how many have you contacted?

None, but agency work will probably be my next step. However won't I still face the same hurdle of "Oh no, not another depressed unreliable no work history for a decade" employee?

When you apply through agencies, is it the agency that hires you FOR the company or does the agency just pair a company with a potential employee and then the company hires you?
  • Gavin83 wrote: »
    I agree with Owain Moneysaver. You've been out of work for 10 years due to depression and any employer will rightly be concerned you won't be able to cope with the working environment. I'd recommend getting some volunteering under your belt. That'll at least prove you can cope with the pressures of a workplace and would make you vastly more employable.

I'm inclined to agree, it's a shame that someone who doesn't even have a paid job is effectively being forced to work for free just to prove themselves but I guess that's the world we live in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure