JSA Unfair sanction

Hi 1st post here. I have been signing on JSA for 1 month until I got sanctioned today which means no payment, no food nor buying materials/clothes to help for jobhunting. I have been applying and searching and interviews for work indicated by my jobseeking contract . The reason I have been given is not giving an updated CV to the jobcentre which basically is 1/2 lines changed from the one the Jobcentre already has. I wasn't even told this was the case from my last signing on. I am not happy with the decision of the adviser nor the attitude which including mentioning claiming benefit is unfair on taxpayers. Which is funny as I have paid way more tax than what I have claimed in benefit.

I am not happy I have to appeal to the Jobcentre on a decision made by one of the advisers there. Which sounds like a kangaroo court. Is it possible to appeal to an independent body? or outside company. Thanks.

Comments

• CBU2004
    CBU2004 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Has to be done through them.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/191806/GL24_042013_WEB.PDF

You can choose to have a representative.
  • nciaw36
    nciaw36 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply. What worries me is it is my advisors word against me in their own backyard. Even if my appeal wins I am looking at the next 4 weeks of no money and I am already under pressure with rent,bills etc. I am unemployed through no fault of my own, looking for work and getting punished. What was the point of me paying National Insurance???
  • Elzmumof3
    Elzmumof3 Posts: 368 Forumite
    nciaw36 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. What worries me is it is my advisors word against me in their own backyard. Even if my appeal wins I am looking at the next 4 weeks of no money and I am already under pressure with rent,bills etc. I am unemployed through no fault of my own, looking for work and getting punished. What was the point of me paying National Insurance???

its not about what you have paid in.. its about doing as the DWP ask according to the Jobseekers agreement you signed when you 1st started claiming - stick to that and you shouldnt get sanctioned!

In the meantime, you can apply for a hardship payment while your sanction carries on.
    January Wins - Gangster Squad Goodies, Sun Lotion
    February Wins - Wombles Goody Bag, Ideal Home Show Tickets, Lunch on Cruise Ship
    March Wins - 2night family break to legoland, outfit from Kaleidoscope, Iron Cleaning Stck.
    2013 aims - Ipad, Iphone, Family Holiday.
  • CBU2004
    CBU2004 Posts: 121 Forumite
    nciaw36 wrote: »

Yea my partner is in a similar situation, a 4 week sanction through their fault ! It seems lengthy and tiring but just keep at it and it should get sorted, I had a deduction before but appealed and got it back.

So chin up and I would advise visiting CAB
  • nciaw36
    I have kept to the JSA agreement. I wasn't asked to bring an updated CV it was only updated with an added 1/2 lines in the 'about me' bit. I have signed on time, been to interviews applied for work. It seems ridiuclous to have a sanction just on the say so of 1 person especially as my advisor was short tempered at end of day. Now I have to take my chances with an appeal and leaving me broke till then. We know the JSA staff are under pressure to increase sanctioning and it looks like they will lie and mislead to achieve it. I tell you one thing if the appeal goes against me the next stage will be contacting my MP I have plenty of evidence to prove I am actively seeking work. I don't want to live on £142 fortnight for too long.
  • nciaw36
    Thanks for the info and replies.
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ring JCP and ask for a call from DMAwith a detailed explaination as to why you have been sanctioned. You can then appeal. It would help if we knew exactly what reason, was it a jobseeker direction to update and provide the C.V.? if so you should have a copy. Once you know the grounds for the sanction please repost.
    Apply for hardship if you have no other income in the mean time.
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It's not good & not fair that jobseekers are being sanctioned for things which were not clear & they didn't know about.

It discredits Jobcentres & their staff.
  • missapril75
    missapril75 Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    john539 wrote: »
    It's not good & not fair that jobseekers are being sanctioned for things which were not clear & they didn't know about.

It discredits Jobcentres & their staff.

Yes it does.

However, in the very first post the OP states the reason given.

We can disagree with the fairness of it but that's really not the same as claiming something was unclear and unknown.

Regarding "I wasn't even told this was the case from my last signing on..." what was there to tell?
    At that stage there was no decision. If the job seeker shows conditions met for that period, the fact of signing will be input. There aren't any alarm bells or flashing lights to indicate the possibility of a forthcoming sanction.
    I am not happy with <snip>the attitude which including mentioning claiming benefit is unfair on taxpayers.
    Now that is an issue to complain about. Providing it wasn't something other than the official position of having a responsibility for public funds as well as processing claims.

Why do JSA staff come in for so much stick in cases like this? When the bank clerk asks for evidence of ID before handing over "your" money, why do "you" not get indignant that the nasty bank employee didn't believe you were who you said you were?

How about that fussy security guard that wanted to look in your handbag? He should have known the only things in it were your purse, a lipstick and library card.

How dare that immigration officer examine your passport that closely...Oh, wait, that does happen doesn't it. Bloody interfering civil servants!!:rotfl:

Don't get me started on "the taxman."
  • ArtoDeeto
    ArtoDeeto Posts: 344 Forumite
    Were you given a direction to produce a CV by a certain date?
    You can ask for a redicision, then appeal and then take it further. But what was the Sanction reason? - is it that you were directed to produce the revised CV by xyz date?; if so why didn't you??? You can't just be sanctioned on a whim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure