Waste outside new house

Sorry probably in the wrong forum but maybe someone can advise me.

I bought a new build and outside my house, without any notification they put down block paving. They have left a ridiculous amount of unused sand on top, which I believe will take some time to clear. Effectively there is that much, it’s akin to fly tipping in my opinion. I will speak to the developers, however which government agency deals with matters such as this?

https://ibb.co/Q8Qfnv8

Comments

• Locornwall wrote: »

I bought a new build and outside my house, without any notification they put down block paving. They have left a ridiculous amount of unused sand on top, which I believe will take some time to clear. Effectively there is that much, it’s akin to fly tipping in my opinion. I will speak to the developers, however which government agency deals with matters such as this?

It would be your local council I'd have thought but that said they're obviously still building the estate so some disruption such as this comes with the territory. There may even be a reason for it although I've no idea what it would be. Ask one of the builders on site maybe.

They of course don't need to 'give you notification' that they're doing this.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sand and dirt washes down the drains every day its designed to cope with that. Seems like they have not done the driveway opposite so some of that may end up swept onto that area.

Is that sand any worse than the mud on the unfinished section of road?

Building is still in place were you not warned of that when taking posession? We were one of the first to move in here and it was explained to us that works would continue for a couple of months so some disruption was to be expected.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    It's not fly tipping if the developers have left it on their own private property, plus they are clearly still working on the area so there is still time for them to clear it up. On top of that with the wealthier we are having it most of the country a layer of sand over paving isn't going to last long.

Sounds like you are just looking to create a problem where there is none
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The area is wet. it's kiln dried sand that's swept into the paving joints. rain will do this.

Considering it's still a full on going building site I think a little patience is needed.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's a working site, you can expect random piles of materials, wrapping materials, pallets and machinery to appear/disappear.....

There is no Govt agency.... it'll disappear as quickly as it appeared.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    That block paving looks really nice (and expensive!). OP, if this is a new build, you might well find some 'settlement'-type issues which will no doubt be far more concerning than a bit of sand, which looks as though it's been left for exactly for the purpose that it's designed for - to fill the gaps between the block pavers, by natural washing in by the rain.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just a friendly visit to the site manager with a box of biscuits and jar of coffee and raise it then.
    We "made friends" with our site manager and it made life a whole lot easier considering we lived on a building site for 12 months.
    They even let us use the skip for some of our rubbish and lent us two workmen to dispose of our old sofa.
    Don't go creating waves if you don't need to
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This is what you should expect to put up with if you choose to move into a building site.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Locornwall wrote: »

Are you for real. Firstly, they don't need to give you notification, this is an active building site which you've moved into, you should expect this. I'll hazard a guess that during the work it started raining so they would've found it impossible to completely brush the sand into the joints and are probably coming back to complete the job or tidy up, a polite chat to the site foreman or someone at the site office should sort this out, no need to start moaning about "fly tipping" or contacting "government agencies", talk about being over-dramatic.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As said, its kiln dried sand for block paving its goes between the block and is brushed in
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure