Suggestions of Food for Itchy Dog - Preferably Dry

Options
OnAndUp
OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 28 March 2018 at 10:38PM in Pets & pet care
Hi :)

I realise this is subjective, but am just wondering what others have found good. I'm not necessarily meaning the foods that are marketed for skin issues. Just a good quality food, that you think helped make a difference with your dogs itching, something that I can buy - preferably dry.

My girl is having a lot of issues with scratching and licking, she is seeing a vet, has tried a few things so far etc.

Food wise we've tried Royal Canin Hypoallergenic DR21, which didn't help help, and a couple of others

"Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When Teddy first developed allergies, causing hi to scratch, the vet suggested cotton bedding , then looking at food. He said we could go through the whole list eliminating one at a time, but that would take ages , so suggested Royal Canin ,givingme a sample to try.

Teddy loved it, but I didn't like the price of inconvenience of feeding four dogs different foods. Teddy likes anything, but I asked the vet nurse what they would have recommended if he had disliked the food and she answered 'JWB' and that is what we bought, with no effect from either brand.

He had allergy tests and showed a mild reaction to dust mites (treating the house made no difference) , but none of the other common items, so we will never know the real cause.

Until we were reduced to two dogs(now just Teddy) I used Fish 4 Dogs food,which didn't stop the itching ,but other users said it did help having no artificial additives and containing fish oil. It was no longer economical to buy a number of large sacks to get extra discount, with only two small dogs to feed.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a thousand different things it could be and its not necessarily food related, but if you want to try and see if certain types of food help, one of the things to try is to look for a grain free food with a single meat protein. You can then work through them to see if certain meat products are better or worse for your dog, as well as eliminating grains if they are part of the problem.

There's loads to try and not all are very expensive (though some are). Country Kibble, Arden Grange Sensitive, Fishmongers, James Wellbeloved Grain Free, Millies Wolfheart, Simpsons Grain Free, Fish4Dogs, Applaws, Akela, Eden, Orijen, Acana, Taste of the Wild.

Many people try feeding raw too, if that is an option you'd consider.
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    As others have said, it could be a million things causing the itching.

In my own personal experience we found that changing to a grain free food helped a bit but we also changed from poultry based food and treats to fish based instead (after reading it somewhere) and this seems to have made a huge difference.

We now feed Wainwrights Grain Free with White Fish and it is great - the dog loves it and her skin and coat overall is much better......plus she is much less windy now that she is off the poultry, which is a definite bonus! :o
  • doglover86
    doglover86 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    My guess is that your dog may have a Gluten allergy, which I've seen cause itching in dogs before. I would 100% try Pet Connection Super Premium. It's what I regularly feed to mine, but I've used it recently on a rescue Westie who had itched his skin red raw and it cleared it up and stopped the itching within two weeks. This is the stuff: https://www.petconnection.ie/pet-connection-super-premium-hypoallergenic-dog-food-adult-chicken-and-rice-cube-12kg-c2x24246796
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you can get your dog to take it, cod liver oil over her food helps my girl when she has itchy skin.
  • OnAndUp
    Options
    Cheers folks, really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I did have a couple of brands in mind that may have been possibilities. I'd forgotten all about Wainwrights, until you mentioned them CurlySue2017! Just been looking at their grainfree range as they have different protein sources to previous foods she has had, they seem excellent, seriously considering trying them.

Thanks! :T
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Abi_J wrote: »
    He is probably having an allergy if he is itching all the time.Beef, dairy, wheat, and chicken are the most common culprits of food allergies in dogs. I would ask about the best food from the vet at this point so that you can go for a prescription diet for your dog.

Our vets recommended one (Royal Canin ) for Teddy, but had his allergy been food based it would have been no better than the less expensive other variety . In fact the vet nurse said that particular one was recommended as it was then only available via vets or breeder outlets (paying commission to the seller).

It's probably better paying the allergy test fee, as it will eliminate or show up a common cause and save constant food changes when food is not the problem.
  • OnAndUp
    edited 1 April 2018 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Thanks. :)

Yes, she's already tried the Royal Canin specific food for that issue that the vet suggested. Didn't help, I wasn't that impressed looking at the ingredients in it really either, but thought it was worth a go!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We got fed up with bathing our Westie in Malaseb shampoo which did work but we wanted to stop using it.

I read that full fat Greek yoghurt added to the food boosted the immune system.

Within a week her skin was fine so it worked well for us.

We lost her a few weeks ago at the age of 17 years and 5 months.
  • CurlySue2017
    CurlySue2017 Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OnAndUp wrote: »
    Cheers folks, really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I did have a couple of brands in mind that may have been possibilities. I'd forgotten all about Wainwrights, until you mentioned them CurlySue2017! Just been looking at their grainfree range as they have different protein sources to previous foods she has had, they seem excellent, seriously considering trying them.

Thanks! :T

We find it excellent, of course every pet is different but it worked for us :)
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Our vets recommended one (Royal Canin ) for Teddy, but had his allergy been food based it would have been no better than the less expensive other variety . In fact the vet nurse said that particular one was recommended as it was then only available via vets or breeder outlets (paying commission to the seller).

It's probably better paying the allergy test fee, as it will eliminate or show up a common cause and save constant food changes when food is not the problem.

Vets always seem to recommend Royal Canin, but is is horrible stuff! I really don;t know why they always push it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure